Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Corrosion in boat floor.

Question...

Considering the adage about the cheap, good, or fast in regards to services and materials...

I wonder given all the supply chain issues, that a lot of the components like rivets are given some metals that are dissimilar and in the right environment some of that galvanic corrosion will happen as a result.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I recovered a mud boat that had been lost in a hurricane many years ago. Both the expansion spray foam compartments and sheet foam under the floor must have trapped saltwater and created pitting and ate through the aluminum.

I gutted all the foam, cleaned the aluminum, skimmed pitting with JB Weld, sanded, primed and painted all bare aluminum before reinstalling the floor.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

The pink or blue is the high density stuff and does not soak up much water. The white bead board will soak up a lot of water. A piece that looks lik it may weight a couple pounds will weigh 30 or 40 pound when saturated.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I recovered a mud boat that had been lost in a hurricane many years ago. Both the expansion spray foam compartments and sheet foam under the floor must have trapped saltwater and created pitting and ate through the aluminum.

I gutted all the foam, cleaned the aluminum, skimmed pitting with JB Weld, sanded, primed and painted all bare aluminum before reinstalling the floor.
    Yeah I have found some very light pitting in a couple areas. I’m the process of trying to get everything cleaned plan on coating a well. Idk if I want to coat it in the clear coat for toons on a pontoon or legit paint it. Not really sure if I’m going to keep it or not but either way going to try my best to get it right.