Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: State Waters ARS Proposal

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Is it NOAA that solely controls the Federal Regs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    They don’t want sport fishermen to catch any fish I think. Years ago went out on a part boat bottom fisher out of Surf City, nc. First drop on the ledge we caught plenty of red grouper to small and a few snapper to small. Looked down wind of the boat and the water was red with bloated fish. What a waste.

So does this mean you can catch the in-state limit every time you go? Seriously, who’s gonna check you beyond?

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    This is stupid.
    100%

The real question is when’s the last time any of you have been checked for fish or while fishing for that matter? All I get stopped for is to see life jackets and that’s very rare.

Maybe just bad luck, but I was stopped by SC DNR twice last year while bottom fishing offshore.

Quote Originally Posted by GRW View Post
    Maybe just bad luck, but I was stopped by SC DNR twice last year while bottom fishing offshore.
    How far offshore? In state waters or beyond their jurisdiction?

Each time between 30-60 miles offshore in federal waters. I think SCDNR has a deal with the federal government whereby SCDNR gets paid to enforce the federal laws. They gave me a slip showing I'd been checked with no violations, I think that is how they prove they are out there checking and meeting quota so they can get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by GRW View Post
    More than DNR is out there. 5 or 6 years ago we got followed by a drone a 2 different mornings for several minutes. Couple weeks later we ran into a helicopter, this was at 5am, I doubt he appreciated getting blinded by a LED light bar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    The real question is when’s the last time any of you have been checked for fish or while fishing for that matter? All I get stopped for is to see life jackets and that’s very rare.
    I've fished a lot and I've only been stopped in the water 1 time. The coast guard stopped us in Winyah Bay. They were checking every boat that came through apparently trying to catch someone that was guiding without a license. They checked the safety stuff and rolled on. The only other time I've been checked was at the ramp by SCDNR. They didn't even look at our fish, just the safety stuff.
    Last edited by Remy; 02-04-2022 at 03:27 PM.

Anyone that bottom fishes knows that red snapper damn sure aren’t endangered. This is just as stupid as cobia being open offshore but closed inshore. I asked a dnr officer at the ramp one day about coming in with cobia and how would they know where I caught it. He said it would be up to the officers discretion. Which to me sounds like you getting a ticket.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    3X last summer alone at Georgetown Landing Marina, 3 more times on a survey of what we were catching. 7X one summer when I had my Pioneer 222SF, pulled over on the water and it was never a safety check, creel limit only.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Twice last year,

Maybe they only check people who actually catch fish…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those ARS are not that thick as described North of Murrels Inlet.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by mudflat View Post
    You are correct.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

This law won’t make a difference. There are a few select areas where we have them within 3 miles in Florida but you have to deal with the anxiety of the law saying otherwise.

You get to a point it isn’t worth it for a fish when there is other stuff to target. Red snapper is very backwards in regulations.

How can we ask the feds to change their rules if we do not share the same rules that are within our control. This is not a solution, but one step towards some sort of reasonable future solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    3X last summer alone at Georgetown Landing Marina, 3 more times on a survey of what we were catching. 7X one summer when I had my Pioneer 222SF, pulled over on the water and it was never a safety check, creel limit only.
    Goodness! I fish 40-60 days a year around Charleston and haven’t been checked for fish in probably 8 years. This is mostly inshore and occasionally nearshore to about 6 miles. In fact the last time I was stopped was by the coast guard for a safety boarding. DNR down here seems to just ride around the beach and sandbar hot spots looking for bikinis.

North towards the tower there are less. Straight east, lots of them.

Not nearly as much good bottom up that way versus south of Georgetown Hole.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterjw View Post
    This law won’t make a difference. There are a few select areas where we have them within 3 miles in Florida but you have to deal with the anxiety of the law saying otherwise.

You get to a point it isn’t worth it for a fish when there is other stuff to target. Red snapper is very backwards in regulations.
    Or you get to a point where you just do what you please and leave it between you and the Almighty.
    It’s a much more liberating lifestyle.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.