Thread: 12” Sliding Compound Miter Saw?

Default 12” Sliding Compound Miter Saw?

I am in the market for a 12” sliding compound miter saw. Everything I have seen and read is pointing me to a Dewalt DWS 779 or the DWS780. This saw will be used for my projects and not something I make my living with. I know we have some great woodworkers on the site.

Any recommendations for another brand? Any firsthand experience with the Dewalts?

Bosch Glide. If you’re use to a traditional railed saw, the Glide will feel strange at first. Once you get use to it though you’ll wonder why you liked a railed saw. The adjustments are all at the front. The glide mechanism can be tensioned to your liking too. The only saw better on the market is the Festool Kapex and it’s not $700.00 better. I’ve used them all and in a 10 or 12, the Glide is hands down the best and it’s not even close.

I got a 7 1/4” Milwaukee battery saw that is an impressive little thing too.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 12-21-2021 at 08:57 AM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

For the money I like anything metabo makes
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

My brother is a carpenter by trade and recently upgraded from an old raggedy Delta to a Dewalt. He likes it. They have a high quality stand/rail system that can go with it.

Power tools are kind of like trucks or boat motors. Everyone has their preference. I just get one brand and stick with it

Metabo is rebranded Hitachi- have a Hitachi about 10 years old and it has been solid- the same with my Dewalts- the Bosch is the best of the 3, but it's also my newest
    For a homeowner- the Dewalt will be fine. Using the proper good quality blade is just as important.

Mine are used hard out in the elements, primarily for cutting 2x6 and 2x8 treated decking and treated 4x4 posts.

Any of the big names (Dewalt, Metabo, Bosch, Ridgid, etc.) will do fine for a homeowner. I like the Metabo for "bang for your buck". You can't really go wrong if you're not professionally using it everyday.

Both my miter saws are bosch. Other than a broken handle which was my fault I've never had a problem with them.

As far as metabo. It's Hitachi and the only Hitachi I own is a table saw that I've had for 15 years. It's falling apart and I thought I'd buy another one but they're as much as a bosch now. For the same money I'll buy the Bosch. Much better saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Bosch Glide. If you’re use to a traditional railed saw, the Glide will feel strange at first. Once you get use to it though you’ll wonder why you liked a railed saw. The adjustments are all at the front. The glide mechanism can be tensioned to your liking too. The only saw better on the market is the Festool Kapex and it’s not $700.00 better. I’ve used them all and in a 10 or 12, the Glide is hands down the best and it’s not even close.

Doesn't Bosch also need less room due to not having rails?

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Yes, you can put the rear of the saw right up against the wall no problem.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    I am in the market for a 12” sliding compound miter saw. Everything I have seen and read is pointing me to a Dewalt DWS 779 or the DWS780. This saw will be used for my projects and not something I make my living with. I know we have some great woodworkers on the site.

Any recommendations for another brand? Any firsthand experience with the Dewalts?
    I bought a 12” miter saw a few years back. Buddy of mine builds houses and loves hitachi. That’s what I went with. 12” hitachi and it has been awesome. My only complaint is it’s heavy as lead. I broke down and bought the delta miter saw stand and it’s worth it’s weight in gold.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 12-21-2021 at 10:29 AM.

I have used/owned a few different (all of the ones that have been recommended and a couple more) “chop saws”. Dewalt.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    I really like this feature about the Bosch and don't like how much room my Dewalt takes up. It also looks like Ridgid has come out with a saw that copies or mimics the Bosch design. $650 for the Bosch and $500 for the Ridgid at Home Depot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post

This right here.

I bought a 12" sliding double miter Dewalt from someone on here several years ago. It's way more than I needed but makes me feel like a pro when I pull it out. One of the best things about it is the folding stand/cart with extension roller supports. I don't have room to leave it set up so I can roll it out into the back yard and not worry about where the sawdust goes.

I've got a top of the line bosch from about 10 years ago. It's nice and smooth with plenty of power but I swear it will not square up.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I have a Dewalt (believe 779) that I have had for 12-14 yrs. Used it two years in my cabinet business and use it around the house and other projects now. Been a great saw and has cut a ton of lumber. I added the laser line cut reference which I would suggest. I'd buy another if I ever needed one.

Same as Palmetto Bug, Love the dewalt 12 inch sliding and rolling saw stand !

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    I have a Dewalt (believe 779) that I have had for 12-14 yrs. Used it two years in my cabinet business and use it around the house and other projects now. Been a great saw and has cut a ton of lumber. I added the laser line cut reference which I would suggest. I'd buy another if I ever needed one.
    Which laser line gizmo did you get? I've looked at them but reviews are inconsistent.