Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your trees and carbon credits

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    The carbon market is a scam. The middle man is taking 3-5x the landowner/farmer from what I have gleaned.
    I would encourage you to speak with a consulting forester. We have been apart of 5+ large IFM Carbon Projects in SC and they're generating very attractive passive income while still being able to manage your forest. These new programs may be a scam but as a fiduciary to our clients we advocate for revenue and alternative sources of income especially in a down timber market. Carbon is not for everyone but it is real money and real checks being cashed. Don't hold me to it but I think Clemson earmarked 3.5 million dollars of 7 million to go towards deferred harvests. Most people with a timber asset were drooling at taking advantage of this program.

Just curious, why do you think it's a scam?
    Last edited by Timberman22; 12-16-2023 at 06:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

I got 400 acres that is ready to cut. I'll take 1500 an acre per year not to cut it.

Where do I sign up?

Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-16-2023 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    I would encourage you to speak with a consulting forester. We have been apart of 5+ large IFM Carbon Projects in SC and they're generating very attractive passive income while still being able to manage your forest. These new programs may be a scam but as a fiduciary to our clients we advocate for revenue and alternative sources of income especially in a down timber market. Carbon is not for everyone but it is real money and real checks being cashed. Don't hold me to it but I think Clemson earmarked 3.5 million dollars of 7 million to go towards deferred harvests. Most people with a timber asset were drooling at taking advantage of this program.

Just curious, why do you think it's a scam?
    I can’t necessarily speak for the forestry side but in the row crop side, the farmer is getting $10-15/ac while the credits are worth upwards of $80/ac in the market. I realize the broker brings value in bringing access to the market but that is ridiculous.

The Clemson program was filled up by a few consultants from what I heard from a few friends that tried to get in the forestry side. I have forage acres enrolled and it is stupid and run like any other .gov program. I was already doing all of the practices so it didn’t add anything other than paperwork but the goal posts are constantly moving.

As for forestry returns, if I clear cut right not I would not replant. I would stuff that money (replant costs) in the S&P or a money market and make a way greater return possibly with less risk. The returns in timber suck for the man with the biggest asset and risk IMO. Glad you recognize a fiduciary duty to your clients, I am just showing what my mind and some paper napkin math have shown me on my dirt.
    cut\'em

This right here!! I was fortunate to be able to sign up 6 clients for the "prolonged rotation" harvest deferral of 5 years. That was one of the best cost share applications I've seen yet in regards to carbon. Some of these landowners will end up doubling their revenues by waiting until 2028 to harvest. There are a few other attractive carbon opportunities for smaller landowners 20ac. to 4,000 ac. that used to not have these opportunities in the past.
    Who do you contact to get more info on this?

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I got 400 acres that is ready to cut. I'll take 1500 an acre per year not to cut it.

Where do I sign up?

me too
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    I can’t necessarily speak for the forestry side.....

The returns in timber suck for the man with the biggest asset and risk IMO.
    Who has the biggest asset risk?
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

This right here!! I was fortunate to be able to sign up 6 clients for the "prolonged rotation" harvest deferral of 5 years. That was one of the best cost share applications I've seen yet in regards to carbon. Some of these landowners will end up doubling their revenues by waiting until 2028 to harvest. There are a few other attractive carbon opportunities for smaller landowners 20ac. to 4,000 ac. that used to not have these opportunities in the past.
    I have a friend who has about 100 acres, how do I get more information for her??
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

SC is quickly turning from being a rural state with farms and forest to becoming an urban state. Current population growth trends continuing will put us around 6million people in the next 20 years. Timber mills in the southeast have begun closing, evergreen in NC, Sonoco all recyclable, north charleston closed, and regielwood turning off a paper machine. Seems like forest product production is moving out of this state which is bad for timber growers.

But land managers have a choice now to continue managing for forest products or inevitable development of recreation. It is a choice we all have to make. Mills are trying to buy as cheap as they can, landowners are trying to sell as high as they can, and all of us want to live in a nice state. Urbanization is not a good thing from my perspective. Carbon credits are an income source that will be growing in value and importance. Might as well make all the money you can and keep enjoying your forests.

If one of the foresters on here that understands this program and has been successful in securing funds for their clients wants to reach out, my family has a respectable amount of land and are interested in learning more.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Time View Post
    Seems like forest product production is moving out of this state which is bad for timber growers.
    Seems like there has also been some expansion in a few saw mills and other facilities. I know the one in Clarendon added a 40 million dollar upgrade to increase output. At least thats what the news article said. There are more reasons why some of those mills closed than just current and futures in the market. Age, location, port expansion, etc are just a few...

Timber farming isnt going anywhere anytime soon. If you need another income alternative, there are tons of ways to make it happen. If you wanna plant more pine trees for tomorrow, I bet you will do just fine down the road.

Its a damn team effort. From the tree planters, the landowners, foresters, spray companies, site prep folks, loggers, road work crews, contract hauling outfits, mills, so many others...

Even room for an analyst of two in there.

Grow Some Green

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    If one of the foresters on here that understands this program and has been successful in securing funds for their clients wants to reach out, my family has a respectable amount of land and are interested in learning more.
    x2
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I don’t think forest products are going anywhere in the SE. markets have slowed but lot of mills are expanding and working toward a future.

Yes some have closed, but others improved. I.e Westrock N.Chas and Florence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson