Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimping

I am wanting to try out shrimping any suggestions, pointers, what do I need, and how do I do it?
    To quote a famous man \"GIT R DONE\"

tradorion Coots

Joep-
    Pick a place first- decide where you are going, if you want to bait, etc...
    If free casting- head most anywhere, look at the bottom on a low tide so as not to cast on shells, rocks,trees, etc... and go till you find shrimp. A good technique to "scout" shrimp is to trim your motor up some and cruise along edges and look back- shrimp when disturbed will jump... when you begin to see decent numbers/size- stop andcast...

For baiting- get the right license, poles, clay and fish meal, and a net with legal mesh... decide whether you like to cast nite or day- Bulls Bay area off McClellanville does better during days and Beaufort seems to do better durig nights... use the same general location technique to begin with... then put out 5 of your 10 poles... bait, back off, and then move in and begin casting... as you see that the shrimp run heavier to one end of the poles or the othr string out the rest of your poles in that direction...

if you have 3 people it works great- one casts, one heads and one drives the boat... if not- 2 works fine... if 1... have fun!!!!!

R

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

You need a good boat driver and someone who can throw a 6-8ft net well. Actually both need to be able to throw the net well so you can rotate. This takes some practice. The best thing to do is to go with someone who has done it before and learn. I mix my bait about 1/3 meal and 2/3 clay. Don't use red clay. It makes the shrimp very gritty. Your boat needs to be a SAFE boat also. The wind can get up in a hurry and make the water very rough. Usually the bigger the water, the bigger the shrimp.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Originally posted by tradorion:
    ...then put out 5 of your 10 poles... bait, back off, and then move in and begin casting... as you see that the shrimp run heavier to one end of the poles or the othr string out the rest of your poles in that direction...

R
    That is a sweet idea. I am going to use that one this year
    Living the dream....

If you are using a jon boat, MAKE SURE you have a WORKING bilge pump. Before you go make sure you can throw the net. It does you no good to throw the figure 8's or tacos all night, it will only piss you off.

This is up for debate, but set your poles at slack low tide and bait. Wait approximately 2 cigs and one beer, and make a pass. Continue doing this until the water gets high in the grass. Once that is happened you are only working out, because the shrimp will be far and few between. I like Bohicket Creek, and the Ashley (later in the season). I am going to try the Stono this year, I have caught some biggin's while casting for mullet. Good luck and be safe.

Did I mention a WORKING BILGE PUMP?
    Living the dream....

All you need is $300 and a couple of large coolers then swing by and see Claimer's dad by Bulls Bay. Lot easier, no swatting gnats all night, sure thing on the limit, and probably cost less in the long run.
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

that ain't the point...
    Please change the limit to three ducks. Thank you, jeff

Thanks fer the plug KCM. I can assure you its cheaper to buy them but some folks like the venture.
    easy livin'

The point for me is to eat a bucket load of shrimp as much as possible .
    Life ain't easy and dry bread ain't greasy.

i like flour better than clay
    throw the net like a man, use your teeth (better circles)
    good luck

PLEASE use your teeth. Its good for business. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If you use a lite 12 ft net you will catch far more swimps than one of those esponsive heavy nets everyone uses.
    easy livin'

Better to throw an open 6' every time, then a taco 12'

I been practicing with the cast net.No mo taco shots.Now we just need some skrimp up here.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Go to the Calusa.com site and watch the video for their method of net throwing. It looks very complicated but with a little practice, it will come naturally. I have no trouble throwing a 10' bait net. I've thrown a 12' net a few time too with not much problem.

A 6' net fully opened covers 113 sq feet. A 12' net fully opened covers 452 square feet. That's 4 times as much area. I'd say a half opened 12' net is still better than a fully opened 6' net. In fact it still covers twice as much area.

I wouldn't recommend going any bigger than an 8' net unless you're over 8' tall or have a boom crane mounted in your boat. It's a royal pain to dump anything bigger than you can hold off the ground. I have to grab my 8 footer about a foot down from the horn to hold the lead line off the deck. Untangling tuck lines on a big net will make you lose your religion.

Tommy

My neighbor's motto for net throwing is:

"You gotta throw burgers....If you throw tacos, they run for the border."

If you learn the proper way to throw a net its far easier to throw a big net than a small. When my net goes out its a swath of death. No escapees. I met some cubans once that made 25 ft nets ,very lite and they threw over handed. When that net went out it was amazing. It was like striking with a gilnet. Get a big net and let the women and children play with the 6 fters.
    easy livin'

If'n you put the net in the right place, you only need a 6 footer.
    Rivets Rule

Butyou'd have twice the swimps with twice the net.
    easy livin'

If you have never shrimped before, the best thing to do is find an experienced partner and two experienced people to go in another boat with you. (Shrimping rule #1. Need two boats because one will have boat trouble. If you go with only your boat, yours will be the one that breaks down.) I have been shrimping for several years now and last year was the first year I really felt comfortable going out by myself without any other experienced shrimpers. We go down to Mclellanville and Cape Romain. Learning your way around is a big part of the shrimping process. I agree that larger light weight nets are the way to go. I mostly use a lightweight 8 ft net that has about had it. I can't find another one with at least 1/2 inch mesh. I have bought a new Betts 8 footer but it is heavier. I know I will get tired throwing it this year. Does anyone know where I could purchase a light 8 footer with preferrably 5/8 inch mesh? The biggest thing with shrimping is don't get in a hurry. Take your time putting out poles and balls and try to make sure you get them where you want. Make a run and then take a few minutes off. Take a beer break every couple of runs and have a good time. Good luck.