It was turkey season for a few days where I was, now I’m home and it isn’t. So I’ll tell a quick story/recap

Packed up the truck last Wednesday and headed south to Florida’s public lands to try my hand at an Osceola. Took my dad with me for what would be 2 full days of scouting and 3 full days of hunting (if needed).

We rolled into camp around 6:00 Wednesday afternoon, put up the tent, then went to try to roost one. A hoot right at dark received a response and we had our first gobbler found. Here’s camp

That night we had a visitor in the empty camp beside us. He’s glad I was there or I’m not sure he would have gotten out. It was on there pretty good.

Thursday and a Friday provided a few turkeys sightings along with gators, snakes, several hawks, owls, caracara’s, and quite a few quail. We ate the last of the previous years turkey breast in preparation for the AM

Saturday morning found us tight on a gobbler. After battling with him for around an hour I had a shot ring out close by and shot flying all through the woods to my right. The guy that came in on us before light did not go “all the way across the opening to the other side” like he said would and almost caused a very unfortunate situation. Oh well, on to the next. We had a few more gobbles the rest of the morning and in the early afternoon I had a beautiful Osceola work his way into range and I completed my slam at 30yards.

He received a proper toast, The Man above received many thanks, and we made our way back to camp to finish off the last of the pile of firewood and count our blessings.

South Florida is one wild ass place. The amount of wildlife there is simply amazing. Being able to share the experience with my dad made it that much better. I will do all I can to get back down that way soon, hopefully next time dad can pull the trigger.