Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Youth deer day

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    It's all about dad beating his chest, not about the kids happiness.
    Agree 100%

Duck Tape,

In the interest of cordial discussion, how did this bill get started? Who was/were the driving force behind it? And how did they come to hold that position, i.e., had their constituents been burning up their phones? I think this bill is basically meaningless in the grand scheme, but I think it is interesting to know how things come to pass in the legislature. Thanks.

Stuff like this changes to benfit some higher up somewhere in some way no one knows about
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Why not have one before and one after?
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Why not have one before and one after?
    Great idea
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    You know, I've done pretty good lately avoiding the use of profanity, and am doing my best to avoid the use of it here. If y'all truly believe that this was needed, then y'all truly are a bunch of freaking idiots. I would like to know where this originated.

Who came up with this proposal?

Who sponsored it?

Is this something that originated in the legislative body, or did it come from DNR?
    Quote Originally Posted by LC17 View Post
    Duck Tape,

In the interest of cordial discussion, how did this bill get started? Who was/were the driving force behind it? And how did they come to hold that position, i.e., had their constituents been burning up their phones? I think this bill is basically meaningless in the grand scheme, but I think it is interesting to know how things come to pass in the legislature. Thanks.

He has now been asked twice. Maybe he missed it so far, but surely he will notice it now.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post

Please send me a copy of the State Record Book for fat does or how to record my nanny in the Miss Boone and Mrs Crocket World Record Book.
    Seriously? Are we teach these children that hunting is about competition?

If you really want to encourage youth involvement in hunting make the entire 1st week of January youth day(s). They are typically out of school then, the weather is right and deer start moving like crazy.

The best thing the General Assembly could do is quit messing with game laws, just leave them alone. They have much larger fish to fry.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Seriously? Are we teach these children that hunting is about competition?

If you really want to encourage youth involvement in hunting make the entire 1st week of January youth day(s). They are typically out of school then, the weather is right and deer start moving like crazy.

The best thing the General Assembly could do is quit messing with game laws, just leave them alone. They have much larger fish to fry.
    Hell yea we are, what do you think deer regs are for?

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Stuff like this changes to benfit some higher up somewhere in some way no one knows about
    That sir is it!!!!!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

This is a forum to discuss issues dear to us. Take the government sucks discussion elsewhere.

Flockbuster came up with an idea to improve the bill. Have a youth day before and after the season. I suggest, if you agree, that you call your Senator and speak your mind.

I have no clue who started this idea. These four sponsored it. Reps. Hixon, Hiott, Yow and Williams
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 02-16-2018 at 12:57 PM.

CLeroy, Do you shoot jakes?

CLeroy, Do you shoot jakes?
    I'll bite, no I do not!

IMG_3528.JPG
    Sons first deer

Do not look at this bill through the prism of a father and child. Look at it from a hunter and a disadvantaged kid. Make recommendations how you would improve participation of youth.

Ok. I take a kid out hunting and let him or her shoot what they want.

I'll do my charity work when it's not 100 degrees and 95% humidity.

And I'm sure the disadvantaged kids appreciate you setting aside that prime date (weather and otherwise) just for them.
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-16-2018 at 01:15 PM.

Do not look at this bill through the prism of a father and child. Look at it from a hunter and a disadvantaged kid. Make recommendations how you would improve participation of youth.
    Make an online hunter safety class available for free.

Create a database of experienced hunters who are willing and available to work with these disadvantaged non-hunting youth, and a database of youth who are interested in learning about hunting, and pair them up during the appropriate seasons. It does not have to be a youth day, this can be done anytime.

Provide a day, or multiple days during October (for deer), and April (for turkeys), etc for other game, when these volunteers can take these youth out, without license or tag requirements and show them how exciting hunting is during peak times. (You do not want to try to introduce a kid to deer hunting when it is 115 degrees in the shade and they can only shoot bucks.)

I am sure there is a lot more, but this is a start.

I would be happy to participate. My son is grown now, and most of the kids I know that want to hunt are lucky enough to have parents who take them.
    When it comes your time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song and die like a hero going home. -Tecumseh-

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    You're also one of select few clemings with sense.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ1965 View Post
    Make an online hunter safety class available for free.

Create a database of experienced hunters who are willing and available to work with these disadvantaged non-hunting youth, and a database of youth who are interested in learning about hunting, and pair them up during the appropriate seasons. It does not have to be a youth day, this can be done anytime.

Provide a day, or multiple days during October (for deer), and April (for turkeys), etc for other game, when these volunteers can take these youth out, without license or tag requirements and show them how exciting hunting is during peak times. (You do not want to try to introduce a kid to deer hunting when it is 115 degrees in the shade and they can only shoot bucks.)

I am sure there is a lot more, but this is a start.

I would be happy to participate. My son is grown now, and most of the kids I know that want to hunt are lucky enough to have parents who take them.

Don’t forget the background checks and any potential problems with someone being accused of something even perceived as inappropriate given today’s hypersensitive people.

Now that two of my kids are able to handle hunting on their own, I encourage them to take a friend or someone they know hunting. It's been fun to watch their friends kill their first deer & ducks. It pains me to know there are kids out there that want to try it but don't have the means. How do we find these kids? I carry kids every year that I know want to go which is typically kids of friends etc. But there are kids out there that don't know who to ask or where to begin. How do we get to these? You have to go to where they are & let them know it's available. This is where maybe DNR could speak at schools & offer the opportunity to those kids who don't come in contact with hunters.

Tell me your plan for how to get kids involved in hunting.
    Keep the government out of mine and mine child's life. I'll raise him the best way I know how, but I dont need you or any other politician telling me how to be a parent and raise my son.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?