Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOG Recipe

Alright, heres my bog recipe. There ain't no science to it, cept for the liquid/rice ratio.

I use whole picked or skinned ducks and/or geese and frier chicken breasts. They come in a three or four pack with bone in. I will also use the gizzards from the ducks. Slice them open and clean them out and cut them in chunks.

Boil your ducks and chicken together with a chopped onion. When they have boiled for twenty minutes or so take the meat out with tongs and reserve the stock. The meat dosen't have to be fully cooked at this point as it is going back into the heat shortly. Let the ducks and chicken cool off for twenty minutes and drink some beer or a bourbon drink. [img]graemlins/drinky.gif[/img]

While you enjoy some spirits, get your prep work out of the way. Slice the smoked sausage and/or fresh sausage into thin discs. Use plenty of sausage. It is okay if using fresh sausage to squeeze the sausage out of the casings and mix it into the bog like a sausage and rice dish. Sometimes my bogs have so much sausage that they are more like a sausage and rice dish with a little duck in them than a traditional bog.

Finely chop another onion. Measure the appropriate amount of stock based on the amount of rice you will use and save it in a bowl. Dispense with the excess. I usually use two boxes of Uncle Ben's original wild rice and one small bag of Mahatma's saffron rice. Be sure to use the flavor packets in the Uncle Ben's.
    Go ahead and get the stock rolling on low, add your onion first and then your rice.

Pull the meat off the bones and shred it into the pot. Be sure to use those duck legs...they're the best. Turn the heat to high. Add the sausage and a small can of corn last. When the bog is rolling with all contents in the pot, turn it back to low and enjoy another drink. [img]graemlins/drinky.gif[/img] If you have properly measured and executed this recipe your bog will come out fluffy.

Thanks Fish. How many will that recipe serve?

4 big'uns and 6 medium'uns.

you say that the science is in the liquid/rice ratio....then you say "Measure the appropriate amount of stock based on the amount of rice you will use and save it in a bowl."

umm. where is the scientific ratio of water/rice? i gotsta know.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I will use that recipe this Sat! I've always used Hillshire Farms Smoked Sausage, never had fresh in it before. I'm looking forward to it.

I would be one of the "big'uns"
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

2ffer, the boxes of rice I buy have it printed on the side under a topic called "instructions".

Originally posted by 2thDoc:
    umm. where is the scientific ratio of water/rice? i gotsta know.
    Sorry Toof...Duck Tape's down with the rice...its 2 parts water to 1 part rice.

Don't deviate from the formula.

Toof, are you one of them folks that can't cook a pot o rice? [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

When do you add the bacon?

Kirk, you're a damn mind reader.
    Well, I\'m not a gynecologist but I\'ll take a look.

dukhntr,
    Hillshire is ok, but Rogers Backwoods is about the best store bought you can cook. I use it in my chicken bog.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Learn something new everyday. I thought duck bog had to made in an iron pot with split oak burning around the base. Where's the hominy?

Appreciate the recipe, FW. I think I may give it a try this weekend.

One quick question. I've cooked them and seen them cooked a variety of different ways. Once you get everything to a good boil and cut it back to low heat how long do you leave it covered? Are you constantly checking it?

I know most folks say leave it covered and DO NOT stir it but one of the best I've ever eaten was prepared by a guy that is always fiddling with it.

Thanks, G. I'll definately try that. Hotdayum I can't wait till Sat.!
    Quote Originally Posted by dfasano View Post
    Don't speak for all of us.....stupid son a of a bitch (Dabo Swinney) needs to be spending his free time learning to coach instead of coming up with gay ass sayings.

Once the pot is at a rolling boil with all ingredients in, stir the pot and turn the heat back to low and put the lid on the pot. There is a lot of heat in there and its plenty to cook the rice which at this point is the only thing not cooked. I do not stir the pot again until I am ready to serve. You will be able to see if the rice is ready and if in doubt use a fork to sample it in different areas.

As a side note, its okay if it cooks slow. Too much heat for too long will scorch the rice on the bottom.

This is officially ALL I know about this subject. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

Fish,

I am just about to finish off whats left of your bog. Good stuff!

its not bog, its pileau
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Getting ready to jump into a red chicken stew made with wild turkey... mmmmmm...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

What is the difference Quack? I thought bog and pileau were the same thing,just different names depending upon where you lived. Also, the recipe seems to belong to Chef Fishwhistle.If he calls it bog, I think it might be bog.

bog is usually a little more "mushy" but its pretty much the same thing. bog is more of a city-folk way of sayin it though, no offense to anyone
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

I've always heard it called pileau down in the SC lowcountry and bog around Cola where I live. One thing that never changes though, no matter what it may be called it is always good.