Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Get ready! The ticks are coming the ticks are coming.

Default Get ready! The ticks are coming the ticks are coming.

https://www.newscientist.com/article...tect-yourself/
    BY THE time he had finished his walk through the woods in New York state, Rick Ostfeld was ready to declare a public health emergency. He could read the warning signs in the acorns that littered the forest floor – seeds of a chain of events that will culminate in an unprecedented outbreak of Lyme disease this year.

Since that day in 2015, Ostfeld has been publicising the coming outbreak. Thanks to a changing climate it could be one of the worst on record: the ticks that carry the disease have been found in places where it has never before been a problem – and where most people don’t know how to respond. The danger zone isn’t confined to the US: similar signs are flagging potential outbreaks in Europe. Polish researchers predict a major outbreak there in 2018.

In theory, Ostfeld’s early warning system gives public health officials a two-year window to prepare. In many other cases, this would be enough time to roll out a vaccination programme. But there is no human vaccine for Lyme disease. Why not? And what can you do to protect yourself in the meantime?

Lyme disease is the most common infection following an insect bite in the US: the Centers for Disease Control estimates that 300,000 Americans contract Lyme disease each year, calling it “a major US public health problem”. While it is easy enough to treat if caught early, we are still getting to grips with lifelong health problems that can stem from not catching it in time (see “Do I have Lyme disease?“).

This is less of a problem when Lyme is confined to a few small areas of the US, but thanks in part to warmer winters, the disease is spreading beyond its usual territory, extending across the US (see map) and into Europe and forested areas of Asia. In Europe in particular, confirmed cases have been steadily rising for 30 years – today, the World Health Organization estimates that 65,000 people get Lyme disease each year in the region. In the UK, 2000 to 3000 cases are diagnosed each year, up tenfold from 2001, estimates the UK’s National Health Service.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Fear the tick

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Buy stock in Permethrin manufacturers.

BB just shot his monitor.

I did not know that about mr opposum.

I knew they were almost immune to rabies but can be carriers.
    I learned a lot earlier this year.

But I did not know they are ticks
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I dont know about any outbreak but I can tell you Lyne disease sucks. Wish I was more careful when I was younger. Also youre not out of the woods if youve gotten it, there are multiple strains.
    A friend, who is a landscaper has three strains of Lyme. They are trying experimental drugs on him.

Also, I knew there was a reason I liked possums!

"Thanks to a changing climate..."

Did any of you mayonaise eaters even notice this part?

Didnt get past the first paragraph myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    "Thanks to a changing climate..."

Did any of you mayonaise eaters even notice this part?
    What you got against mayo? As long as it dukes, I don't see what the problem is.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I like Dukes. I said that for the sole benefit of that goombah with the blonde gorilla avatar.

I was taking a shit on a log the other day, came home and found 8 little bastards on me.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

You shoulda hovered

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Actually there was a vaccine for lyme disease. Is sold so poorly that the company pulled it.

https://www.historyofvaccines.org/co...isease-vaccinehttps://www.historyofvaccines.org/co...isease-vaccine

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Got one off my dog yesterday, they are out.

I would argue that the spread is due to more d-bags moving near wooded areas or wandering into the woods than in the past. Higher population. Don't get me wrong, it sucks. But a liberal will try to make everything relate to global warming.

Hillary lost because of global warming. Now her fat ass is wandering through the woods.

Maybe Lyme disease will have an upside after all.

Had one on my sack last Wednesday after turkey hunting. Little fucker was latched on and had the wife help me get with some tweezers. I don't wish that on anyone!

Randy Travis got Lyme disease and it fucked up his golden voice of gold. Plus it gave him alcoholism and now he wakes up in ditches naked.

And y'all still ain't scared of ticks?

Was about to make a small dick and tweezers joke but quickly remembered I'm in my mid 30s

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Randy Travis got Lyme disease and it fucked up his golden voice of gold. Plus it gave him alcoholism and now he wakes up in ditches naked.

And y'all still ain't scared of ticks?
    I thought the Trans Am caused that?