Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to go faster

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Want to go faster

Got a new to me boat several months ago, and just like everybody else that has a boat, I want it to go faster. The boat is a 170 Triton pushed by a 90 Yamaha 2 stroke. Currently running a SS 18 pitch prop. Before doing anything else, I know I need to find out what kind of RPMs I'm running now. After doing some research I've found a lot of negative feedback on the tiny tachs. So I looked at several other brands of gauges. I'm sure having a permanent tach could be handy on other occasions besides dialing in the prop but honestly don't want to put more holes in the boat. So is there a good temporary tach option out there?

I have owned a few tiny tachs. 1 sat in 30ft of water, attached to a motor, for a week. still worked when recovered. I just ordered a custom length to dial my new rig in. call them up. theyll take care of you. can't say the same for all the other Chinese tachs....

With a motor that big, you really need a OEM, console mounted tach.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    With a motor that big, you really need a OEM, console mounted tach.
    Why do you believe I need it?

Quote Originally Posted by FordBlue03 View Post
    Why do you believe I need it?
    Because conditions and boat loading changes and a tach is a good indicator for adjusting the trim.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

A 90 two stroke aint fast enough already?

The biggest question here is, hire badly do you want to go fast and how fast we talking? What speeds are you getting now and do you have a target speed that would be "good enough"?

You looking to make modifications or really just find the ideal prop and be done?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 09-22-2016 at 01:54 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    The biggest question here is, hire badly do you want to go fast and how fast we talking? What speeds are you getting now and do you have a target speed that would be "good enough"?

You looking to make modifications or really just find the ideal prop and be done?

Mostly just looking to get the prop right. Getting 43mph and it needs to be over 50 before I'm ok with it.

Mostly just looking to get the prop right. Getting 43mph and it needs to be over 50 before I'm ok with it.
    I said the same thing. The it was 60, then 70, 80 and now 90.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Glitter my son. Glitter
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

What year is the motor?

Snap a picture of the prop and post it up. Get a tiny tach. Don't go cheap.

Or like RH, if you have a console and have a compatible year Yamaha motor you can get one of them snazzy Yamaha digital tach gauges.

Last edited by willyworm; 09-22-2016 at 07:03 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

There is no replacement for displacement. If this is a glass boat throw a 150 on it and roll. A 90 on a 17 foot glass boat is for grandpas to go crappie fishing. It's cheap and gets you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    There is no replacement for displacement. If this is a glass boat throw a 150 on it and roll. A 90 on a 17 foot glass boat is for grandpas to go crappie fishing. It's cheap and gets you there.
    Im familiar with his rig, its a Triton 170sc Duck special, aluminum. Didn't wetreed have one?

Whackumstackum is right. It's the same model boat that wetreed used to have. Got a new phone over the weekend & don't have any pictures on this one to post.

Boat & motor are both 2004 models.

The prop is a mercury vengeance ss 18P.

Those snazzy Yamaha digital gauges are definitely nice. Hard to justify the expenses for the limited need I see for you though.

As far as knowing how to trim the motor under various loads, it's loud enough that I can use my ears to fine tune the trim. I just want to know my rpms to see where I'm at with the current prop.

How fast do y'all think I can get a stock 2 stroke 90 to push it with the correct prop? Keep in mind this aluminum hull does have a pad.

How fast do y'all think I can get a stock 2 stroke 90 to push it with the correct prop? Keep in mind this aluminum hull does have a pad.
    You got any set back or is the motor bolted right to the transom? How high is it mounted?

I think 50 should be achievable. You may have to go thru a buncha props to find the one your rig likes. Be prepared to dedicate some time and money, and be patient unless you got the money to go buy 5 different props to fully execute the experiment.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So it's a hyperlift copy? How long you had it?

Spend $50 on a tiny tach and get on the water. Get the one w/ M at the end of the model #. It's made for marine applications

Last edited by willyworm; 09-22-2016 at 08:41 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

So it's a hyperlift copy? How long you had it?

Spend $50 on a tiny tach and get on the water. Get the one w/ M at the end of the model #. It's made for marine applications

No it's a pad hull. Hyper lift is a xpress model.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    No it's a pad hull. Hyper lift is a xpress model.
    I'm with ya. I didn't realized Triton had padded aluminum hulls. Good to know.

Anyway, I have zero experience setting up a pad hull but from what I've read you'll need one of them bite lifting props to lift the nose and get the boat riding up on that pad. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that your rig would also benefit from some setback and raising the motor.

Last edited by willyworm; 09-22-2016 at 09:20 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I'm with ya. I didn't realized Triton had padded aluminum hulls. Good to know.

Anyway, I have zero experience setting up a pad hull but from what I've read you'll need one of them bite lifting props to lift the nose and get the boat riding up on that pad. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess that your rig would also benefit from some setback and raising the motor.

I second this....get the motor up out the water a little bit.

I've had it about 4 months. No set back. The motor is bolted to the transom. The cavitation plate is level with the bottom of the boat.