Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 9/15 Deer With Rabies

Default 9/15 Deer With Rabies

So opening day of doe season started out as any other day, left the house debating on where to go. Stand I ended up in was good for about 15 minutes and the wind started blowing pretty good in the wrong direction, I decided to ease around to another field where the wind wouldn't mess me up. As I'm easing down the road to the next field I see 3 does at 250yds and then hear something move in the bushes directly to my left. That's when things get weird. I look to my left and see a deer laying in the road on its side like its dead, walk over to get a better look and its not dead. Deer is just laying there, cant really move, kicks every minute or 2, deer looked healthy on that side, I'm looking for the buckshot, arrow, bullet hole, cause of why she's laying there dying. Flipped her over, no trauma of any kind. Called DNR and he got there at dark, looked at the deer, called a biologist or 2 and they settled on A. Pneumonia, said they've seen it and the symptoms matched or B. Head/Neck Trauma that we weren't seeing. GW put the deer down and checked her mouth for blue tongue which she didn't have. One biologist told us if we wanted the deer the meat would be fine. I called 2 more people one a former DNR employee and the other the farmer who's a close family friend, both of them told me to cut the deer's head off and have it tested for rabies, very slim chance but better safe than sorry. Carried the head to Clemson's Veterinary pathologist Friday morning and he told me he didn't think it was rabies but since deer are mammals there is always a chance, he would run a full panel in addition to DHEC. DHEC and Clemson told me not to worry about it until the results came back so after a long weekend it was finally Monday. Monday at lunch the phone starts ringing and doesn't stop for awhile, deer came back positive for rabies and I need to seek treatment immediately. Called another great friend of mine to carry me to the hospital since I was completely freaked out by this whole ordeal and I got to sit in the ER for 5 Hours Monday evening getting multiple tests/x-rays/blood work done and a series of shots. Everything looks good at this point, have to complete the series of shots over the next 14 days since the deer did scratch me when I flipped her over and drew blood. Found out yesterday that there where only 4 instances of Rabies in white tailed deer in the US last year and that it is extremely rare. This whole ordeal has just reinforced what I already knew, 1. IF you see a wild animal that isn't acting right don't mess with it, even if its a deer in the middle of deer season, they can carry rabies. 2. Keep hand sanitizer in your truck incase you come into contact with something sketchy. 3. Don't be a dumbass. Hopefully all is well and Yall can laugh at me in the future. Thanks for the prayers again fellas, I have a beautiful wife and a 10 month old little boy at home and sitting in that hospital bed thinking about leaving them scared me to death.

I'm just wondering how you had all that dnr on your property and walked away without some sort of citation.

Dang man that's crazy!!

You're doing the right thing with post-exposure prophylaxis. A good buddy of mine was doing bat research in Australia and got bit on the hand by a bat. They killed and submitted it, came back positive for rabies. He got post-exposure prophylaxis and did fine. Prayers up for ya, you'll be fine. Your wallet might suffer after those vaccines, but hey you'll be alive and vaccinated against rabies.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Make sure they give you one of those cool aluminum hang tags for your call string...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

You will be ok. I have had to have my series of Rabies shots as well. No big deal now that they do them in the shoulder
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Wow. My dad is a vet and growing up we used to send animals off to be tested. DNR would drop off suspicious animals. Never heard of a deer having rabies. Glad you had the foresight to get it tested.

Btw if you every have an animal you want to have tested don't shoot it in the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I'm just wondering how you had all that dnr on your property and walked away without some sort of citation.
    These fellas up here are pretty good fellas

How did you get scratched by the deer. I missed that part

Crazy dude

Wild stuff

I've always said, that if there is a pile of shit in the yard, I will step in it.

I will officially pass that title on to you now.

Glad you sent it off for testing. Glad you didnt send her to a processor.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    How did you get scratched by the deer. I missed that part
    When I flipped her over she kicked me in my knee and scratched my hip, drew a little blood. Like a said I fully expected to see a wound from a car/arrow/shotgun/rifle.

Glad you had her tested and went through with the treatment. I was bitten by a rabid dog when I was a kid and had to have a series of shots (I think one a day for 14 days) in the stomach. I hope everything goes ok with you...prayers up.

People coming across a deer with rabies is not something we would expect. It helps to be reminded that these encounters can happen and that we should always use caution when critters are not acting right.

Glad all seems to be ok!

Crazy...that's a first.

Sounds like you made all the right calls.

You'll be fine. My dad had to get the shots a few years ago.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the only way to get rabies was through saliva or direct contact with the brain?
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 09-21-2016 at 11:44 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Make sure they give you one of those cool aluminum hang tags for your call string...

Rubberhead, you ain't right...

Seriously, though, like others have said, I was hoping all along while reading your story that you hadn't tossed that meat in the freezer until all questions were investigated. Great job on pursuing it.

Good luck, but from everything I understand you'll be fine. Just don't bite your wife until you're sure you're clear.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 09-21-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    These fellas up here are pretty good fellas
    im impressed you thought of that
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung

Never knew deer could get rabies.