Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultralight spinning reel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ultralight spinning reel?

I need a new spinning reel for pond fishing. Small bass and big bream. I plan to use ~6 lb mono or thinner-but-heavier braid. I don't want a micro-sized spool. Drag with smooth start-up is essential. Light weight is preferable. I'm not looking to cheap out but damn at the prices of reels now! They don't mind asking for 2 or 3 hundred+ dollars for a spinning reel! What's a good moderately priced reel?

I had a pfleuger presidential that I really liked. I don't know what in the world happened to it but it was pretty solid. Bought it as a rod/reel combo for around $70
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I had a pfleuger presidential that I really liked. I don't know what in the world happened to it but it was pretty solid. Bought it as a rod/reel combo for around $70
    I had this same reel on a micro light ugly stick I used on trout awhile back that was really nice. I don't have the battle 2 in the 2000 model but I do have 2 5000's and 2 8000's and they are also super nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    R. Not
    So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. —Colossians 2:6–7

Shimmano Stradic c4i. Everything else is a waste.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Shimmano Stradic c4i. Everything else is a waste.
    Just bought 2 of them from field and steam, they were on clearance for $199.99 plus %25 off. Out the door for 2 was less than $330

I use the shimano axulsa reels with 4lb mono. Got em at haddrells.

Shimano Stradic c4i is a $200 reel for catching panfish. I use Shimano reels almost exclusively for my inshore saltwater fishing but it stings to pay that much for a puddle fishing rig. I guess I need to balance that with the fact that I have a $200 fly rod (not counting reel, line, leader, etc.) for the same puddle fish. It stings but I'm a believer in the old saying "Buy once, cry once". But....

Most ultralight reels, even Shimano's, have dinky spools. Super light, fine line is even harder to handle than heavier line. I want an ultralight reel with an oversized spool that would afford less loops, smoother payoff and smoother drag.

Light line is like spider web and my old eyes aren't good enough to see knots when it tangles. Small spools mean more line twisting per crank. All the manufacturers have it wrong, ultralight reels should have the larger spools, not the smallest.

If I buy, I'll try to buy from Haddrell's. I know the owner and he has devoted, and still devotes, a lot of his life to working for us in the protection of the resource and our rights to fish. Charleston is lucky to have such good tackle shops with some of the finest sportsfolks running them.

I bought a Penn battle combo from haddrells a few years ago and it's just as good as when I bought it. Really like the rod too. They had them on sale for $99 at the time. I see they have a 2000 size on the battle 2's that would be worth checking out.

I am fishing a real from Spain called Cinnetic. I fish the crafty 1500 model. It has 5+1 ball bearings and is $50 retail. I have 14 of them and they are on 10'-18' rods. They can handle big stripers which are common when I am crappie fishing.

http://www.cinnetic-us.com/
    Last edited by SNAP Hunter; 08-23-2016 at 08:06 PM.
    "...But this is football. This ain't tennis..." --CJ Spiller; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxkNT9IxEu8

Which ever reel you decide on would be a perfect match for my Loomis GL3, fast action 4-10 LB rod that I have for sale on here.

tommy-i go with a much cheaper shimano. that stradic is badass but i dont need badass. i need decent and cheap. the symetre down to the sedona. i have them all and they all still reel line in when asked.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

The new sadona's are great, you can find the older models dirt cheap of anyone still has them.

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    The new sadona's are great, you can find the older models dirt cheap of anyone still has them.
    I pick one of them up at dicks in summerville. They had a sale on them. If I remember correctly, they were around $20.

I have to agree with toofer. I had a Diawa that was the best casting reel that I have ever had. I picked it up at bells in eutaw springs for around $25. I finally broke the bail on it. I saw the same reels at gander mountain in Charleston some time over the summer. I still have it at the river, and if I get a chance today, I will ride down there to get the model # off it. I could dang near cast a bettlespin all the way across the river with it. It also had a very smooth drag. I think several big mudfish is what finally did it in.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    I have to agree with toofer.
    :headbanger:

^fail^

I know, I know! I am scared to check my blood pressure now!

Recently picked up a Mitchell that caught me off guard with how good it felt. I got the 308 Pro, and the 310 might be bigger than you're looking for, but I'd throw this in the running.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/mitch...tchell+300+pro

I've always liked the little Shimano Spirex on a light spinning setup. They are well balanced and won't break the bank at around fifty or sixty bucks. Like everything else in life, they don't seem to have the same level of quality as they did twenty years ago, but at the end of the day, it's just a panfish setup. You can get them with a front or rear drag. I like how the trigger always resets to the position in the pic below and you can throw out a lot more casts in a shorter amount of time.

Last edited by wob; 08-24-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    I've always liked the little Shimano Spirex on a light spinning setup. They are well balanced and won't break the bank at around fifty or sixty bucks. Like everything else in life, they don't seem to have the same level of quality as they did twenty years ago, but at the end of the day, it's just a panfish setup. You can get them with a front or rear drag. I like how the trigger always resets to the position in the pic below and you can throw out a lot more casts in a shorter amount of time.

I have one of these that is at least 12 years old. It is my river wading setup. It's been very much abused. Great reel.