Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting rid of bad water smell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Getting rid of bad water smell

We are buying a brand new house. Closing in the next few weeks, and I've noticed when we turn the hot water on, it has a sulfur smell. It's only on the hot. Builder said that the water heater may need to be flushed. I've let it run in one of the tubs on 5 different occasions, until there's no more hot water. Still smells like sulfur. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Well or city ?
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

You can spritz it on a well. Basically tapping into out pipe. Run a small 1/4" tube back into top of well cap. It sprays water down and doesn't allow gasses to rise.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

At least you won't have snakes. They hate sulfur

It's a well. I don't think it's anything with the well as the cold water and the spigots have no odor. Only when running hot water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I'd agree that it's the water heater. It can happen when they sit up. I went through it when we moved.

I flushed my tank when it first started. Not by running the water at the tub but by turning it off and putting hydrogen peroxide in it and draining and flushing it from the drain spigot on the tank (hook a hose to it).

That helped mine for a while. But eventually the smell starred to come back. So I changed the anode rod to one with a different type of metal and that resolved the issue for me.

I've also heard of people fixing it by cutting the anode rod out all together. But it supposed to be the sacrificial metal so that will shorten the life on the heater. But I know of a heater that is 25+ years old with no anode rod. I'm sure it depends on the water. Turbo can probably weigh in on that.

Just noticed you said builder. So I assume it's a new house. I would expect the Builder to resolve it. I don't know if they still make the anode rods the same. Mine was on a fairly old heater when I changed it.

This may make too much sense... Change the hot water heater.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    This is too simple for most fellas on here. Like a bunch of tinker bells.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    "Water heater"... Not hot water heater

There's still a chance that it's in the water not just the tank - just that the heating releases the gases more. Most water heaters have a garden hose style connector at the bottom. Let it cool down, run a hose outside (remember it's gravity fed), shut off the water supply and the breaker then open the value. You'll probably have to release the pressure valve at the top of the tank too to release the vacuum. If it's electric you can remove the upper element and spray fresh water in the top of the tank and let it run out. 'Way cheaper than a new tank.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    There's still a chance that it's in the water not just the tank - just that the heating releases the gases more. Most water heaters have a garden hose style connector at the bottom. Let it cool down, run a hose outside (remember it's gravity fed), shut off the water supply and the breaker then open the value. You'll probably have to release the pressure valve at the top of the tank too to release the vacuum. If it's electric you can remove the upper element and spray fresh water in the top of the tank and let it run out. 'Way cheaper than a new tank.
    You're going to wait three days for it to cool down before you drain it?

Quote Originally Posted by blackstock View Post
    You're going to wait three days for it to cool down before you drain it?
    You can shut off the breaker and run the hot water for a while to cool the tank down. I just didn't want him to run hot water through a garden hose and burn his hands and complain or sue us.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Change out the anode rod to an aluminum / zinc one.
    "It's like dejavu all over again"
    "90% of the game is half mental" Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by *Crippler* View Post
    Change out the anode rod to an aluminum / zinc one.
    This. I just went through changing anodes, although fortunately I didn't have a smell issue.

Chances are that your tank has an all aluminum anode as they're the cheapest. Just find out the length and rod diameter and get an aluminum/zinc anode of the same diameter and approximately the same length.

You might also check to see if there is a second anode in the hot water discharge pipe. I have one in mine, but it's a gas heater and I have no idea if electric heaters might also have them.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 06-23-2016 at 02:00 PM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Swap your anodes first. You can find the aluminum versions at your big box stores.

Then report back.

I'll bet you'll be fine.

My well is the same way. My wife bitches about it, but I've got better shit to do than worry about a little stinky water. In fact, it seems that it has gone away lately.

I'll swap the anodes out when it gets cooler outside. Or never. Either way.

It's hydrogen sulfide gas. If you can't taste it in the water, don't worry about it. There's no health risk.

If the house has been sitting any amount of time, it'll probably go away on its own.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

mix that shit with bourbon and quit your bitchin
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    You're pretty smart sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You're pretty smart sometimes.
    HOT WATER and bourbon? really? tha fuck is wrong with yall... its like 100 degrees

The hot water in our cabin smells like dookie, too. We always blamed it on just not drilling it deep enough, or some horse shit like that. It's not used often, being as I've only slept (hence, shower)in the place three times since we built it 15 years ago.. But it'd sure help after hunting clean up and such, right now I just have a piece of tape over the knobs.