Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snort wheeze

Default Snort wheeze

How many have heard one in SC?

I'll admit I've always been skeptical and figured it was a way to sell more calls and something that our deer didn't do because I've never heard it.

But I heard something tonight that Ive never heard before and a snort wheeze is the only thing I can come up with.

Scenario was I was overlooking a bean field where I know some good bucks like to bed nearby. Directly to my back is a privet thicket and the wind is in my face.

I did some grunts and immediately heard a ruckus back in the woods. Sounded like a deer making a scrape and branches breaking. Maybe 100-150 yards away. I sat tight. Never heard/saw anything more. 30 minutes later I did more grunts. I got more aggressive this time. 10-15 minutes later I heard the sound in question. It was close and at first I thought it was a big group of birds getting up. But no birds and it was extremely close. Its so thick behind/under me that I couldn't see anything and it's quickly getting dark at this point.

Never heard or saw anything else.

I actually had a 4 point with a doe underneath me for most of the morning Thursday. He wouldn't leave her alone. He actually snort wheezed at her several times although I don't know why
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I've heard one, it was from a 215 pound 7 point trailing a group of does on public land. He took a NAP Thunderhead through his lungs.

Heard it one time a few years ago. Digging a doe and there was another buck in there at the time. He dead.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Heard it once. I had just hit grunt call, he snort wheezed at about 80 yards, I grunted back. A minute later he's stand at 5 yards. Ran an arrow thru him. One of the best bucks I've ever killed.
    80-20 Genaration

Never heard a deer do it but I used it 3 years ago to bring a buck back to me that ran by me during the rut searching for does, it stopped him dead and he wheeled around to investigate, then he died.

Big old bucks love to stay in cover when they hear you call. We don't have dumb deer like the Midwest does.
    The oldest deer I've ever called in (beyond the branch thrashing etc mystery bucks) was a 3.5

A 2.5 is the most callable. Never heard a snort wheeze. Except when I watched a heavy smoker do coke.

A ton of internet nay sayers and such programs ones ears to not believe what you are actually hearing in the woods such as a buck fight, a grunt, a snort wheeze , my piss hitting the ground from your favorite stand etc.. but yes you really are hearing that..
    Genesis 9;2

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Big old bucks love to stay in cover when they hear you call. We don't have dumb deer like the Midwest does.
    The oldest deer I've ever called in (beyond the branch thrashing etc mystery bucks) was a 3.5

A 2.5 is the most callable. Never heard a snort wheeze. Except when I watched a heavy smoker do coke.
    He had no reason to leave the cover for sure. I was thinking that when I amped up on the calls the next time. Seemed like his message was clear. He was there if anyone wanted to step up.

I actually had a stand setup in the woods but it has two trees on it now. And the most open spot that I had is now a tangled mess of down trees. I could be 20 yards from him and not see him in there.

Only heard it a couple times.....I remember it was my boy Big R's first hunt on our club....a lot of bucks were in the field and he was about to shit on himself. He said theirs a stud and I was looking at a couple of 3-4 year old 8-10 pointers and I told him I was afraid to turn him loose down there .Then I saw the one he was looking at and had snort wheezed....he was a hammer but it was too dark to get on him
    If it aint got 8 toes & a green head,it aint a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post

This is the gospel.

I heard it once 3 years ago. 8pt was dogging s doe all around me grunting and carrying on for about an hour. I heard him snort wheeze once when he was in a thicket about 75 yards away. I finally ran a rage through his heart.

Only in Kansas
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

You prob heard it! Sucks u couldn't get a shot thou

Yes
    Carolina Counsel

Once. Took a friend hunting who had asthma and allergies, put him on a stand about 75 yards away facing another field. Didn't see a deer that night and never took him again.

Several times

Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Had a nice 8 do it this morning trying to keep several small bucks away from does. He was limping and tore to hell. Then he proceeded to lay down in the dang road and take a 20 minute nap. Now that was a first
    Last edited by buckpro; 10-16-2016 at 03:23 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I heard a snort wheeze several times this morning. I grunted after the first one and a decent 8pt came bouncing out looking for a fight. Heard it again when a smaller 8pt left the field and headed toward the swamp.
    It was an awesome morning!
    Gave a porker lead poisoning via his ear as an added bonus