Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty neat story some ups, some downs and unique find.

Default Pretty neat story some ups, some downs and unique find.

So old Stumpknocker came down to hunt the FMNF with me this am. I took him to a spot I knew to have 2-3 birds. I had tinkered with them a couple days back. Right off the rip at 0610 the dominant bird hollered and we headed out on a long round about walk ending up where I had known him to strut two days before.

Long story short I pointed to a big pine and stayed back about 40 yards to call. About 3/4 of the way to the tree a Tom jumped out and flew off right over his head. I was pretty disheartened knowing I should have played it a little more cautious maybe. Shortly after his hens stared putting yelping and creating a general ruckus. I guess he had limb hopped his way to the big pine to be closer to his hens by sun up. However he got there we busted him off the roost so that guy was out of the picture.

After calling there for a bit just to see what might happen we made a move up to a knoll. I owled real loud and the one of subordinate birds lit off about 400 yards deeper and from the far opposite side of the bottom. I never could break him out of a 200 yard line. I figure he was afraid the dominant Tom was with the hen calling to him and didn't want to be flogged again. We had him around us occasionally gobbling off to left for about 30 minutes and then it went dead. At any rate we left empty handed but fun was had and breakfast was on Stump, oh yea!

Forward to later in the day. I went to another block after Stump headed home and met up with my buddy who had struck a bird on my way up to meet him around 2pm. We went in called for an hour or so, moved a little called some more and nada. So we picked up and moved to another corner.

No sooner than we had parked at the new block than another truck pulled up caddy corner to us. The owner got out. He then leaned inside and layed on his horn! I was immediately like WTH but a split second later I realized someone must be lost as the driver surely wasn't trying to strike a bird wearing shorts, t shirt and flops.

I walked up and laughingly said you got a buddy lost down in that big bottom somewhere don't ya?

He answered yes I do. My 80 year old Grandpa took it upon himself to slip out this morning and go hunting on his own. He had managed to find some cell service around noon and told his grandson he had been lost since around 9am and needed out quickly as he wasn't feeling that well. It was a pretty hot day at 90 degrees and 100% humidity.

I asked if he could get him on his cell phone again and tried and got him. I told him to ask his grandpa to fire a shot at a deadfall or something and he did. I heard the shot a ways off and was able to get a bearing on his location. I told him to put the sun hard off his left shoulder and keep it there while he walked and that he should hit the road just fine. I was standing beside him while the phone conversation was going on and heard Grandpa say that makes sense. Got it, I will be to ya in just a second.

I gave the grandson my number and told him to call if he didn't make it out soon. I left with a bothersome feeling in my gut even though the grandson said thanks and that he could get him out the rest of the way. My buddy and I went ahead and hit another spot without striking a bird. Something kinda tapped me in the gut and told me that I needed to go on back and check on them instead of moving on to try another location. So thats what I did thankfully.

I headed back to where the Old timers truck was parked.. When I arrived the grandsons truck was parked and the grandson wasn't in sight. I parked, got out and hollered down into the bottom and heard the grandson yell back about 200 yards deep. I got him back to the road and asked how it was going? He said he couldn't get a location on him, that he had gotten turned around just 200 yards in and that his grandpa was even more turned around at this point. He said he had gotten another call to connect and that grandpa sounded a little panicky and out of breath. I said try him again on the cell and he was again able to connect.

This time I asked to speak to him. Grandpa told me he only had one shell left and couldn't yell to loud because of his lungs. I handed the phone back and said to tell him to catch his wind and work up the loudest yell he possibly could. I told him I would wait for the wind to die down and then signal for him to tell grandpa to holler. I then waited , the wind died for a second as if on cue. I gave the signal he told grandpa to yell. I could barely and I mean barely hear him but got a rough point on him. I got the phone back and told him I knew about where he was and asked him what kind of turkey calls he had with him. Man, I got the full run down on all his calls. He told me everything from what call and what he liked the most, who the builders were and how long he had owned them all, the complete and full story as if he had forgotten how lost he was lol. It was a reprieve of sorts for the old timer and I heard his voice calm down a little. I told him to get on the Lynches fool proof box, to fire it up as loud as he could about every five minutes and that I was coming to him. Last thing I said was don't move, just keep calling loudly.

Well after about 45 minutes I got in pretty good hearing range of his calling and whooped at him and heard him whoop back. I found him about 15 minutes later snugged up against a log. I won't lie I was very happy to see him. His grandson had brought him some water. He took a couple sips and we struck up a conversation while he rested. What a neat guy, born in 36.

He went on to tell me that he was indeed 80 yrs old and had only been hunting turkeys for 30 years since he was 50. He said that he hated he had missed the first 50 years and was doing his best to make up for lost turkey hunting time! He told me that he loved turkey hunting more than anything else besides God and family as well.

Well Grandpa could only walk about 15 steps at a time before getting winded. I cut him a walking stick and about an hour later we were back at the road right before dark.

Great ending right? Well on the way home it dawned on me that had Stump killed a bird this morning I wouldn't have even gone back out this afternoon. Back at their trucks grandpa told me this was gonna be his last season. I said not if the good Lord is willing and I can help. I gave him my number and told him to call me anytime he had the itch and headed back to my truck.

God sure does work in some mysterious ways, doesn't he?

Turned out to be my best hunt this season by far I reckon. Sure hope to get to hunt with that feller next year.
    Last edited by Strick9; 05-01-2016 at 10:00 AM.
    Genesis 9;2

That is amazing!!! Thank God Stump didn't whack one in the am.
    Just read this to my wife, she said that was truly a great hunt.
    Last edited by JayhawkLee; 04-30-2016 at 09:45 PM.
    R.I.P SFC Spencer Kohlheim.
    Suicide is never a good thing but I understand.
    Thank you for your service to our nation.

That's pretty cool.

Very cool....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

It's much easier to understand his plan looking backwards.

That is awesome!
    U serious Clark?

Did you ask him if he heard any turkeys.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Two thumbs up brother! Great story.

Cool stuff
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Good job man. Always a good feeling to be able to help someone when their in need.

Thats solid man.

Great story!!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Indeed a good read.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Great job to rescue the elder gent. I've been turned around in the NF for a short time it's not a good feeling. I've had a compass in my vest ever since.

Very cool!
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

awesome bud, cool pic you sent me as well,,,, as for mr limb hopper,, im going to kill him next year and he is going to have 1.5"s , but im sooo glad we didn't seal the deal yesterday morning.
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Hope I get lost in the woods when I'm 80.

Nice of you to care for a stranger too, not everyone would do that!
    Windows Down!

Great story! And great instincts by you.

Great job, Strick. Ya' done real good.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Whats even more divine is that my own and my last Grandfather, who was a great friend to me, actually passed yesterday a couple hours after I found that man in the woods. He was 85, had run away and worked the railroads at the age of 14 and was a yarn teller, banjo player and a "randy" man as it was known back then. He had a tough start but finished well !
    Genesis 9;2