Thread: Virginia Select oysters

Default Virginia Select oysters

Is it just me or do they suck?

I stopped for some oysters yesterday but all they had was Virginia Selects. They had alot of pea crabs in them and I thought they were bland. Did I just get a bad batch or is this normal for Virginia oysters? Are they farmed?

You wouldn't catch me eating oysters in 85 degree weather,, I'm not going to eat any oyster un less I can see my breath
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    You wouldn't catch me eating oysters in 85 degree weather,, I'm not going to eat any oyster un less I can see my breath
    They not have refrigeration in Camden?

I know it's the end of the season. And I'm sure that is the reason they only have the one a from Virginia.

But to only eat them when you can see your breath is a stretch as that's not all that often here. Is this stump or did your neighbor jump on your computer and post this? Camo said he was full of hot air.

Oysters make the wife very happy. So I'm willing to push the boundaries. I grew up only eating raw oysters. So steamed oysters probably make me over confident.

Quote Originally Posted by blackstock View Post
    They not have refrigeration in Camden?
    Just personal preference, I guess, I like eating oysters when it's cold not when I can be grilling wild hog sausage and frying fresh fish
    "I am a man, not an animal and I always try to conduct myself accordingly. Doing anything less is just giving up and expecting (and being okay) with failure."
    Rubberhead

The best oyster roast I've ever had was last year on May 5th. Oysters provided by DixieLand Delights. Salty clusters with two or three big oysters in every cluster.

It's all about the water and how salty it is. If those oysters came out of the bay, where the water is mixed, it's makes sense that they would be bland like appalachacola oysters.
    Last edited by Fish; 04-27-2016 at 08:24 AM.

You've obviously never had cold water oysters from the New England states. I eat them raw every year fresh out of the water in August.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    The best oyster roast I've ever had was last year on May 5th. Oysters provided by DixieLand Delights. Salty clusters with two or three big oysters in every cluster.

It's all about the water and how salty it is. If those oysters came out of the bay, where the water is mixed, it's makes sense that they would be bland like appalachacola oysters.
    Only the best because you missed this years gathering. Best clusters he's ever had.

Eastern shore Virginia oysters are very good. Most any time you are eating singles, it is farmed. If it looks like a rock and isn't bladed out, it is farmed. Farmed just means that they took oysters from seed, grew them a little bigger than your thumbnail, put them in bags and let them grow in the same waterways the wild ones grow. It's the same oyster. How they are grown is manipulated. Some are good, (colder/salty water) and some are shit. (Gulf)
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Only the best because you missed this years gathering. Best clusters he's ever had.
    Son #1 still talks about those clusters...they were certainly as good as good gets.
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

made even better bc fish wasnt there?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Exactly
    No guns to run over... No fancy duck calls to give away for shrimp toast
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

I ate a few I liked them, but B has always done good. I like our little clusters.

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    Exactly
    No guns to run over... No fancy duck calls to give away for shrimp toast
    No smokin' hot cubans.