Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wifi repeater/extender

Default Wifi repeater/extender

Tell me about them. My shop is about 100 ft from the house and the wifi is not very strong there. My iPhone, iPad and Apple computer all pick up the signal fine but my PC laptop for work struggles. What will stretch the signal out some?
    cut\'em

And how far from the current router to the wall closest to the barn?

Hardwire.

Thank me later.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Turbo is dead on right. Unless you spend some serious money on enterprise grade wifi stuff with external antenna's mounted on the exterior of each building...... be alot cheaper to buy a roll of CAT 5e or even CAT 6 and bury 100ft underground.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

not really... 100 feet is well within range of wi-fi. what's the age of the laptop?

I'd try something simple like this
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WN822N-Wireless-External-10-7-10-10/dp/B00416Q5KI/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1454631841&sr =1-1&keywords=wifi+extender+USB[/ame]

Beats the hell out of burying cable in your yard, that will most likely get cut at some point, and drilling holes in your house/shop. About the same price as the cable too. If you are ever near charlotte area I will give you something similar to try out.

You could use a wireless bridge between the house and the shop using Ubiquiti NanoStation LocoM5. I have these setup in a few location creating wireless bridges. One setup has 3 of these radios, 1 as the access point and the other 2 as stations that connect to the AP. One bridge is 3/4 of a mile and the other is over a mile. I see very little, if any, speed lost at the remote sites. I don't recommend a wireless repeater or extender. You will be disappointed in the reliability of them. Hard wiring is truly the best option but not always feasible. And if shop has a metal siding or roofing, you can pretty much forget a wireless signal making it very far.
    Last edited by jfields47; 02-04-2016 at 07:38 PM.

You dig the trench and holler at me. I'll do it, and won't break your wallet.
    I live in Santee.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I had this problem 6-7 years ago. Went and got a wifi range extender from Best Buy. Problem solved. Since then I have dug a trench from the house and laid water line and 2 conduits. 2" and 3/4" because that's what I laying around. Planned to pull Cat5 though the 3/4. Have yet to do it.

If you hard wire it, you are still going to need another wireless router in building. Extender should work if you can put it n right place. You are already getting some signal without one. Try to put extender as close to building as you can. If you have an outside receptacle on a covered/screened back porch, that would be even better.

A normal cat5 is not shielded and will allow in water. A shielded cat5 should be grounded. There are some new wifi extenders that are much better than they were 3-4 years ago. Ubiquiti makes some good point to point units. They are on Amazon.

So, an extender is a cheap ideal candidate for a 2 story house?
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Like Turbo said thank him later..

Obviously 100ft is in spec of most common home wifi... ap's and extenders but anyone with experience maintaining and troubleshooting these connections will tell you that they are shit.... nuff said
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    I played my butt horn on a wooden pew once. No one seemed to appreciate it, especially my mom who took me outside and put the fear of God in me. To this day I still look over my shoulder to see if she's around before I fart.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    You dig the trench and holler at me. I'll do it, and won't break your wallet.
    I live in Santee.
    Bog I already got the pipe buried from the back of the house to the shed. Did it when I poured the slab, even ran over the 2" water line in the process. Anyhow I have one of those network boxes for phone and tv in the closet. The modem router all in one thing from Frontier is plugged in the phone jack in the living room in the wall that is closet to the shed. How would you get internet from the living room to that network box out the back of the house.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Bog I already got the pipe buried from the back of the house to the shed. Did it when I poured the slab, even ran over the 2" water line in the process. Anyhow I have one of those network boxes for phone and tv in the closet. The modem router all in one thing from Frontier is plugged in the phone jack in the living room in the wall that is closet to the shed. How would you get internet from the living room to that network box out the back of the house.
    You should have an extra port on your frontier box. I'd run the line from that box, down through the floor, into the pipe out to your shed then put a jack on it and mount a box in the shed.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I have two of these that I've yet to hook up.

http://www.engeniustech.com/products...or/ens202.html

Upon speaking to their techs, they seemed like a viable option. I hope to get them connected come early spring.

I was in the same situation and went through several extenders that worked but intermittently. Then I bought this new router from Google and it has been the cats ass. No more extender and I'm paying for 60 meg and getting 40 ish in my shop 100' or so away. I've got over 20 devices running and not a hiccup on any of them. https://on.google.com/hub/

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

My router in my house is more than 100 feet from my master and I get full wi-fi from my extender. It was $30 from Costco.

I live in a hole and just got off dial-up with a ATT hotspot and a new desktop running a badass 7 processor and windows 7 Pro. Fast is all I got but expensive
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    You should have an extra port on your frontier box. I'd run the line from that box, down through the floor, into the pipe out to your shed then put a jack on it and mount a box in the shed.
    I have the port in the back of the box but it is in the den and the place to run the cable outside is all the way across the house. Can't run a cable under because the house is on a slab. I believe the box in the closet is a "quest"? Capable of handling Internet too or just phone and tv?
    cut\'em