Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Pups

The Guru and Duckman #1 were there and ran their dogs. Got ribbons, too. Day 22 was another first. Added the lead to the retrieve situation. Started at heal and held the lead for just a second after I threw the mark. She pitched a fit until I let her go. The next time she sat a little longer and I called her name as she went. The last time was perfect. She sat at heal, I threw the mark and then she went when I called her name. Then we had a fun bumper or 2 just to insure the desire was still there. She sat in the dog box and barked until Doc got to do his 6 blinds, walkups and diversions. Took her out again and worked on lead with heal and sit when stopping. Finished with a fun bumper.
    An average hunt becomes great with a good dog

Day 23 was a trip to a new training area for Chic. Ran Doc on a couple of retrieves and let Chic get a couple as well. Not much new.
    Day 24 took Doc and Chic to my hunting club. Ran Doc on triples and blinds. Chic got her 1st intro to gun fire. Shot primer loads at the marks for Doc while she watched from about 10 yards away. She sat thru it and wanted to go retrieve. The wife kept her under contol while Doc retrieved. Then after a break the wife shot a primer and threw a bird. I held Chic and she retrieved it with no problems. The second retrieve was accompanied by a primer as well and she appears to have no problem with guns. I'll wait for a real shotgun shell until later, and shoot closer next time.

Chic ran in her 1st HRC Started test Saturday and passed. She is 5 months old and made 2 land and 2 water retrieves. She is doing great. I had to judge Sunday or I'm sure she would have picked up a second pass. Had several people offer to run her for me, but you know I enjoy watching her work and I don't mind waiting to see her pass a test.

HL congrats on the first pass. Great job. We finished the little yella girls JH this week end up at Copper black. 9 months old with a JH and her started and 8 months. Duckman#1 finished his JH with Skyler too.
    Proud owner of 3 AKC.Bench Champion MASTER HUNTERS

Congrats to you and Dm. Aren't these dogs fun?

Well, Chic is 6 months old this weekend and her teeth are in. I guess its force fetch time. She is making 100 yard single retrieves and starting to steady at the line so I guess its time. Collar conditioning and we start to handle this summer. Lots of fun.

Sounds like he is on the right track!

HL- Moving this week and I loose internet for a week, so I may have to wait a week to look at the property. You can email me what you have and I might be able to get to it at lunch when I am at work.- B
    Leadership in Service<br /><br />Dream Big and Dare to Fail..<br /><br />\"And the sky was full of Anatadae\".. Mr. Buck

Day 1 am Force Fetch
    Introduced Chic to the table. Led her from end to end and kept her up on it for about 20 minutes. She became comfortable but it took a while. She was initially pretty unsteady, but she finally settled down. Pm I will put her on the collar and end pole until she gets used to it. I'll try to update daily as to her progress. I will use the Tritronics Retriever Training FF outline. Its the most detailed and easiest for me to understand. I'll modify it as necessary.

Day 2 FF training
    Put her on the table with collar on a pole. Inserted 2 fingers into her mouth behind the canine teeth and thumb under chin. She finally settled down and stopped trying to get rid of the fingers. It took 2 or 3 minutes to get her to accept them in her mouth. Gave her drop command when she accepted and repeated several times. Hope it continues to be by the book. No problems so far.

Day 3 FF
    Added the 2 lb dumbell to the process. Started with the fingers and they were accepted without problem. Added the dumbell and ear pinch with dropping. She was quick to understand that holding the dumbell was the way to avoid ear pinch. I was not heavy handed and she was only mildly aggitated by the pressure I used on ear pinch. I agree with CJ in his book Finished Dog and I use only the minimum amount of pressure to get the job done. Did the dumbell thing about 4 or 5 times and stopped. She seems relaxed and willing to do whatever I ask. I'm sure we will have to have a disagreement before its over. She is still right by the book.

Great log of dog training, I have enjoyed reading it> I also think you are very brave to risk all the neg. feed back you will likely recieve.

I have also trained my dogs (all Boykins) with early obediance, starting at 8 wks. Sit, Down, Come and then longer sits. To see the benefits go to one trial and watch the hard fast dogs with no manners. They might go home with ribbons but they wont go hunting with anyone because they are a giant pain in the butt to try to get to sit still.....longs periods of nothing happening IS SC duck hunting and a crazy ass dog makes for a long day,. Its much more fun to be able to control your dog with quiet commands that you give only once. I consistently get positive feedback on how calm my dogs are and how do you get them to be so good. The answer is easy...don't let them be bad...ever> I Don't believe that obediance takes any drive out of a dog, if it is applied fairly and only corrected after it is firmly conditioned into thier hard little brown heads. Not one training trick works better than just being consistent.

I also agree with you on read everything you can get your hands on a apply all that makes sense to you and your dog...there is no one right way. If you live in a larger town you will be amazed at how many books are at the library. I went to the Columbia branch and could literally not carry all of them. Browse them all and then buy the ones off amazon that please you.

Keep writing and I will keep reading about your ebony and ivory pupils. They are great looking dogs.
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

Day 4 FF
    Day 4 was another practice day on the pole and with the dumbell. Did the hold drill 5 times. She only dropped it once and I responded with the ear pinch. No more drops. She has maintained a good attitiude and we go out and throw bumpers after the bench work. She is always ready to go train.

Day 5 FF
    Reviewed hold with the dumbell and then made a change that got her a little more excited. I changed to a bumper. She dropped it once and I ear pinched. She accepted it and we went thru it several more times. No problem. Then I added the tapping on the bumper. She held pretty well until I hit it pretty good and she dropped it. I ear pinched and she held on to it like a champ. I forgot to mention that each time she does it right I pat her on the shoulder and give her a big good girl. Praise when she does it right and mild pressure on the ear when she doesn't. Seems to be working. I plan to add frozen pigeons tomorrow.

Day 6 FF
    Repeated hold with the dumbell and bumper. Introduced the pigeon. Initially she was excited by seeing the pigeon but when we went to hold she resisted. Had to ear pinch for the 1st 2 times with the pigeon. She got it on the 3rd go around and 4th. I praised and ended for the session. I'm thinking about another session with the pigeon later. It's still raining and nothing else to do. today.

Day 7 FF
    Well, the rain let up today and I got to do day 7 FF and a little training as well. FF was the continuation of the hold command with the pigeon and adding in the walking up and down the bench. She dropped a couple of times at the end of the walk and had to ear pinch, but she would hold pretty well. She has a very soft mouth and I have to tap on the pigeon and bumper to get her to hold effectively. Things are working well. After FF we went out and worked a little at the canal with angled entry and exit. She did great. There is no loss of retrieving desire with the hold command. I guess that may come when we get to fetch. That should begin next week. I'll continue hold until she starts to reach for the bumper or bird. That has not happened yet. I'll use the toe pinch method once we start the fetch command. She will let me know when she's ready for the next step.

Day 8 FF
    Worked her on the bench with a pigeon and walked her back and forth several times. It was hot and humid and I didn't work long. Then we went to the lake for a swim.

HL it sounds like she is coming along real good. Thanks for the updates. How come you didn't come to the poker run?

My boys left Saturday to take the oldest to Tx. He will be stationed in San Antonio for the next 3 years. Had to say good bye and stay by the phone just in case they needed old Dad. They made it safe and sound on Sunday evening.

OK we'll let you off with that one. Glad they made it ok.

Day 9 FF
    After 8 days at beautiful Ft Jackson with 900 JROTC Cadets teaching them to rapell from Victory tower, run the confidence course, work as a team at Team Development, run the fit to win course, learn about math and science, and have fun at Field day, I'm home to continue the FF process with Chic. Started early this am since its so darned hot. We reviewed basic obedience and went to the table for a review of hold. The dummy was no problem but the dokken was dropped and ear pinched several times until it was accepted. Walked the bench from end to end with dummy, dokken, weight, and pigeon. After we went to the lake for a few retrieves. I think we are back on schedule after a day of review. Hope to see her start reaching for the dummy this week, but will continue hold until we see her make the next step.