Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Keys...Questions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The Keys...Questions

I am sure there are a half dozen threads on the subject, but my computer sucks and it's taken me half an hour to get to this point...

Looking at taking the family on vaca there this summer. I'll be pulling my boat. 17' with a 20 gallon fuel tank.

VRBO is limited in the lower keys. They get real pricey real fast, especially if I am looking for a house that has a dock.

Found a few acceptable places a little further up. Dates...I am up in the air. Kind of thinking of timing it for the mini lobster season, but also considering waiting on the regular season. What is it like (have heard it's nuts during the mini season)?

Need to book something sooner than late. Any insight, tips, experience, locations, lobsters, etc...nothing is too trivial. I know nothing about the Keys.

I know my range will be limited in the boat. Want close access to good fishing reefs, and of course lobsters. I also want to boat the first dolphin from a high tide, or at least think I am the first.

Thanks in advance.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Lots of gays. You will love it...

You're fairly familiar with it down there, then...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Tell me about the lobster.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    You're fairly familiar with it down there, then...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Tell me about the lobster.

I haven't been since I was in college. I'll let the more knowledgable crowd chime in on this one.

Isn't that where dick tape goes?

airbnb.com

Edgewater Inn long key , best tarpon fishing in the keys

Never been with the whole family but taking them this summer to Islamorada. Don't know how to think about anything but tarpon fishing, though. Have stayed in houses and hotels in past. Trying the Pines and Palms this summer.
    "hunting should be a challenge and a passion not a way of making a living or a road to fame"

Rubberhead

You probably don't want to take the family during the mini season. This is the most crowded and obnoxious week in the Keys.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    You probably don't want to take the family during the mini season. This is the most crowded and obnoxious week in the Keys.
    I've heard the same thing...but that week clicks for us.

I don't have any experience but am interested in any tips for the keys. I'm taking the whole family down to Plantation Key (well actually Tavernier) over Memorial day week. We have a house w/ a dock that is 3 houses from the ocean and will be dragging our 24' Pursuit.

I hope to boat my first dolphin as well.
    I take an PLB in the shower with me. Can't ever be too safe.

Whats it like to live w/o the Internet? Not bad, I get photos of your mom thought the mail....

"I'd like to know more about this. Someone give cottontop a bump of coke."
    Sportin' Woodies

I Just got back from Islamorada.
    We stayed at the Guy Harvey Resort.
    http://guyharveyoutpostislamorada.com/
    We stayed on the backwater side in some townhomes. It was Our best price. There is a docking area there too for you to keep you boat.
    I really enjoyed the trip and we ate for about $15 per person each night by bringing in our catch for the kitchen to cook.

The Keys ain't for everybody. Seems like people love it or hate it... I wouldn't recomend key west unless you and black Bart are gunna have a secret rest stop rendezvous.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Dolphin from the HT sounds like fun!

Wish I had the nuts to pull a trailer that far! I know tons do it with no problems though.

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    Dolphin from the HT sounds like fun!

Wish I had the nuts to pull a trailer that far! I know tons do it with no problems though.

Used to trailer down 3-4x a year fro many years. Worst trip I ever had was in 02 or 03. 31' Pursuit. tri axle trailer, 4 month old Duramax crew cab, all very well maintained. Lost 2 wheel bearings, 3 tires, and the D-max left me on the side of the road on the way home in GA. Bearings were new. Tires were new but were eventually recalled by Goodyear, all six were replaced and I was reimbursed for my tires purchased on the road. Duramax blew coolant hose off the side of the transmission. Had to call a buddy to come get me and the boat just outside of Kings Bay. This was about the third or fourth major issue with the GMC in as many months and it was in the middle of being traded in for a 7.3 F250 as they were putting it on the rollback on the side of I-95. Gets me hot under the collar just thinking about it still...

All other trips have been relatively uneventful. Travel with a good jack, 4 way, and an adequate tool bag and it can be a painless event.

We have a group that goes down every year. Going in mid June this year. I would not recommend mini season. From what I've heard it's like a zoo down there. We've done both the lower keys and Islamorada area. The lower keys are more laid back with less to do other than fish and dive. Islamorada area has numerous bars and restaurants accessible by boat. Also a good number of tackle shops. If you have small kids they may enjoy theatre of the sea. The sea turtle hospital in marathon is interesting if you have a bad weather day. Either way you can't go wrong. It just depends what your primary focus is. If you have someone who will stay awake with you I would recommend driving through the night. Much less traffic and a more peaceful ride. Also gives you an extra day by arriving in the morning.

I will give you some info in a private message.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Sounds kinky

The Guy Harvey resort is good, also Check out the Ragged Edge or even Hawks Cay can be found at decent pricing. I like Ragged Edge alot as there is not only some protected reefs but also good fishing and lobstering right outside of the protected areas. I have caught trout, snook and tarpon right off the seawall at Ragged Edge.

Hawks Cay is a bit pricier but has some decent bar settings and good eats on sight and excellent fishing for tarpon right out side the channel.

I lived there for a year fishing and diving and can fill ya in if you want to give me a shout tomorrow brother.
    Genesis 9;2

Call me. Too much shit to type.