Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Farm Flood Relief Bill

DT is a developer, not a farmer. There are some farmers in the house though.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    No I don't mind stating my position. Nor do I mind getting completely off topic.

We need a dedicated stream of money from gas tax to gradually repair our infrastructure. Right now we are supplementing roads with general fund dollars. This means out-of-state drivers are getting a huge discount when they drive on our roads. When you fill up in their state you may more.

By giving an income tax deduction to in state residents to make up for the increase in gas tax, we can neutralize the gas tax effect on our tax paying citizens. I would do it by giving a tax credit for the ownership of an automobile and set the amount the exact same as the average persons gas tax increase.

While our economy is good this year projections are not. The pension fund is going to sink us. We cannot afford the huge tax break Nikki and I want.
    Tie it directly to earned income or property as in land.

Do not tie it to automobiles!

Folks that drive older automobiles will not benefit from any added relief. The cost of those taxes will never benefit if you go up 10 cents a gallon and you drive the average 15-20k miles a year. 20k would be 2k a year. A older car's total tax liability could be as low as 100$ Not exactly a fair trade off.

Tie that money to real income earned and just knock that off what they earn or better yet knock it off property taxes!

If you have multiple properties you get to put that 2k tax credit against a picked property!

Because I would damn sure stick it to Clarendon Co.

It is totally ridiculous what they can charge down there.

I have in the past. I do not currently. I will be buying another soon.

I would not benefit.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    Tie it directly to earned income or property as in land.

Do not tie it to automobiles!

Folks that drive older automobiles will not benefit from any added relief. The cost of those taxes will never benefit if you go up 10 cents a gallon and you drive the average 15-20k miles a year. 20k would be 2k a year. A older car's total tax liability could be as low as 100$ Not exactly a fair trade off.

Tie that money to real income earned and just knock that off what they earn or better yet knock it off property taxes!

If you have multiple properties you get to put that 2k tax credit against a picked property!

Because I would damn sure stick it to Clarendon Co.

It is totally ridiculous what they can charge down there.

Property tax is a county tax. Gas is state and federal.

The automobile tax credit would only apply to your state income tax. If you do not pay income taxes you get no relief. This allows it to come off the top of whatever bracket you are in.

Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    DT is a developer, not a farmer. There are some farmers in the house though.
    I had a 400 acre impoundment on the Pee Dee. We would farm a couple hundred acres of corn and flood it all.

Planted for all kinds of wildlife. Never have I depended on the harvest for my income.

The Economic Impact of Flooding on South Carolina Agriculture
    The 2015 growing season in South Carolina has been marked by weather extremes with 66 percent of the state in serious or moderate drought in mid- September followed by the most significant rainfall event in the state’s recorded history hitting in the first week of October. Rainfall amounts were highest along the coast and coastal plain, the state’s most productive farmland. The largest flood losses were to the important cash crops of soybeans, cotton, and peanuts with collective losses of $285 million. Losses were also incurred in vegetable crops including tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, eggplant, squash, and cucumbers accounting for an additional $45 million in losses. Among fruit growers, damage to peach trees accounted for the major loss.
    In addition to losses in the field, $46 million of losses from prevented planting has occurred with the largest losses in grains primarily wheat and to a lesser extent oats. Among vegetable crops, the primary losses are in prevented planting for winter leafy greens, while for fruit growers losses are being incurred primarily from delayed strawberry planting. In aggregate, direct losses to South Carolina farmers from the October floods are estimated to be $376 million.
    Table 1: Estimated Losses in the Field and from Prevented Planting
    Losses in the Field
    Peanuts $72,899,200 Cotton $86,121,984 Soybeans $125,846,000 Vegetables $45,000,000 Fruit $10,000,000 T otal $329,867,184
    Total Loss
    Losses from Prevented Planting
    Wheat $24,331,883 Oats $1,393,140 Canola/Rapeseed $284,646 Vegetables $15,000,000 Fruit $5,000,000 T otal $46,009,669
    $375,876,853
    Source: USDA, Farm Service Agency and South Carolina Department of Agriculture.
    In addition to those direct losses, the ripple effect through the state’s economy is being felt by reduced purchases from supporting industry (indirect effect) and through reduced purchasing power of workers in agriculture and related industry (induced effect). It is estimated that the total impact on the state’s economy including direct and secondary impacts is $588 million. In addition to production agriculture, sectors most impacted are agricultural services including contract labor, equipment and support services, real estate, restaurants, insurance, maintenance and repair construction, and trucking. The direct income effect is estimated to be $115 million with a total income effect of $185 million. In terms of employment loss, the loss in agricultural employment is estimated at 3,597 workers with a total loss in employment in the state of 5,528 workers.
    London & Associates
    Table 2: Direct, Indirect and Induced Loss to the South Carolina Economy
    Impact Type
    Direct Effect Indirect Effect Induced Effect Total Effect
    November 2015
    Employment
    3,597 1,041 890 5,528
    Labor Income
    $114,774,689 $36,491,538 $33,332,761
    $184,598,986
    Output
    $375,876,853 $99,306,187 $112,651,436 $587,834,476

I'm not keen on their not being any language about pre-existing insurance and while this may have been a 1,000 year flood per the wording it addresses natural disasters. Natural disasters occur all of the time not just every 1,000 years.

The automobile tax credit would only apply to your state income tax. If you do not pay income taxes you get no relief. This allows it to come off the top of whatever bracket you are in.
    Would it be tax credit if you own a car or would it be tax credit per car. I think it would need to be tax credit per car and other means of taxed trasnportations...ie boats need a credit as well. They use a lot of gas.

iF it was a 1000 year storm, maybe it will be a while before we cross this bridge again.
    Quote Originally Posted by reeltight View Post
    Don't set the precedent
    You are paving the road for future entitlements. Next will be drought relief for farmers. This is a bad idea. Bad.

DT - I understand the "game" in taking positions on some of these things but it seems like there are always "questions" that you and others have about bills but yet you sponsor them anyway. I just don't get it. If I don't like stuff in my line of work I don't allow my teams to do it or ask that they come up with a better way to structure a deal, etc. I don't settle. The precedent this bill sets is not ideal and what is best for for residents of SC long term. I'm not lecturing and I digress b/c I know you already get this. I guess I'm just curious as to why endorse these if you don't have all the facts and answers you are seeking and clearly the public is seeking as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    DT - I understand the "game" in taking positions on some of these things but it seems like there are always "questions" that you and others have about bills but yet you sponsor them anyway. I just don't get it. If I don't like stuff in my line of work I don't allow my teams to do it or ask that they come up with a better way to structure a deal, etc. I don't settle. The precedent this bill sets is not ideal and what is best for for residents of SC long term. I'm not lecturing and I digress b/c I know you already get this. I guess I'm just curious as to why endorse these if you don't have all the facts and answers you are seeking and clearly the public is seeking as well?
    Because supporting farmers is one of those infallible emotional popular positions like "supporting the troops" and child safety. It's an easy vote get from people who either A) will benefit from this or B) are unwilling/unable to look beyond the cover to see this is a bad idea.

This joker is one step away from playing Toby Keith music at his next fundraiser.

Ditch the automobile part make it directly tied to the average driven accepted miles say 20k now.

That is 2k, give a credit against earned income for that amount.

And for the record I still dislike Clarendon County. They have the highest taxes and you get nothing for it. Georgetown is high but at least I get decent water and other services I can appreciate.

Clarendon just robs me so they can pay all the 1st of the monthers sitting by the mail box as I drive by.

Note to the wise do not go to the Walmart in Manning around the 1st of the month besides being over run with stinky nasty people they can't drive!

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Because supporting farmers is one of those infallible emotional popular positions like "supporting the troops" and child safety. It's an easy vote get from people who either A) will benefit from this or B) are unwilling/unable to look beyond the cover to see this is a bad idea.

This joker is one step away from playing Toby Keith music at his next fundraiser.
    Farmers mage up 2% of the public and about the same percentage of my campaign funds.

But, Toby is a great idea. Which song?

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

spot on

Farmers mage up 2% of the public and about the same percentage of my campaign funds.

But, Toby is a great idea. Which song?
    Anything that has to do with 'merica and stompin' commies and the al kayders.

So pretty much any of 'em will work.

Or you could hire those little Stepford kids Trump used for his Korean creep show.

And group A may only be 2% but group B is a much larger portion of the population.

And if you keep calling farmers mangey I doubt you'll get that 2%.
    Last edited by Glenn; 01-22-2016 at 10:34 AM.

If they printed stickers that said "save the farmers" to go along with this bill, 80% of the idiots on this site would vote for it. That sticker would look cool next to my DU sticker or my "cotton" sticker.
    Last edited by Chessbay; 01-22-2016 at 10:38 AM.

The same place it comes from to provide you a place to hunt on a WMA, stock the lakes from hatcheries, and fixed "your" bridge.
    Well obviously it's coming from our taxes. I meant is the money coming from the general fund, some place else doing without, etc.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

These numbers are not exact but the just is.....There is around 300 mil federal dollars on deck for disaster relief. A good portion of that is going to TX and some other states. Around 200 mil may come to SC. Flooded home owners would receive around 140 mil. Farmers would receive around 60 mil. In the big picture that doesn't amount to much. Once it is split up and sent out that wouldn't really make much of an impact in one big Ag county, much less the whole state.

I was in a small meeting last night. Harry Ott spoke, Hugh Weathers spoke and a group of growers that are fighting for monies in Washington spoke.

Ott and Weathers have been fighting to just get a meeting with the Governor. She has finally scheduled a date to meet with them early next week.

Obviously this federal money has to get backed by the Governor. She has not signed off on anything yet. She has a 20 something year old kid on staff that is "learning" her on crop insurance, etc. There were multiple PHD's and Crop Insurance experts that were sent to educate her staff but I don't believe it went anywhere.

Some of these big guys in SC Ag believe that the State bill has more promise than Federal disaster monies.

If any of these federal monies were delegated it would take possibly years for someone to see them. This is what has happened in similar disaster relief efforts in other parts of the country over the last few years. There would not be any direct disaster payments like there have been in the past since some of the Farm Bill has changed relating to this.
    Last edited by ProvidenceSwamper; 01-22-2016 at 02:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Well obviously it's coming from our taxes. I meant is the money coming from the general fund, some place else doing without, etc.
    One time help from non-recurring dollars out of the general fund.
    About a billion new dollars to argue about this year.

There will never be enough money feed the desires of government agencies.
    Last edited by Duck Tape; 01-22-2016 at 11:27 AM.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]