Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Old sparkleberry swamp

Here is a picture of my grandfather and Billy Goff back in the day.

I still fish the cow pasture
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Knee Deep View Post
    RL=http://s1248.photobucket.com/user/duckcommander64/media/IMG_0004_zpsuyso1lvq.jpg.ht[/URL]
    Here is a picture of my grandfather and Billy Goff back in the day.
    Dude in the middle looks just like Mergie in his old pictures, and the name being exactly the same is kinda creepy.

Somebody been slipping off to the santee area back in the day
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Dude in the middle looks just like Mergie in his old pictures, and the name being exactly the same is kinda creepy.
    I even wore the old boonie rat hat back then. But that ain't me. Or maybe it is and I just don't remember due to my advanced years.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 12-04-2015 at 01:54 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    *couldn't *wouldn't
    Why edit ?

Because putting "n't" at the end makes the word mean the opposite.

The barrels still hanging in mcguirts are quite a bit higher than 30ft and the ladders up to them are railroad spikes. The one at the fork is pushing at least 50ft up.
    That had to be sporty on a breezy day.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    Because putting "n't" at the end makes the word mean the opposite.
    Thanks english major ! Most on this site wouldnt have seen it and neather did I

That was probably Sawdust Pile landing. Sketchy place to leave a truck but I never had any problems. Ducks numbers made AR look like childs play.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    When we had ducks in SC and before all the impoundments were planted and managed, the Mallards would leave the Refuge at Jacks Creek everyday at daylight and arrive in the Swamp about a half hour later. We usually had about 100-200 thousand big ducks on the refuge at any given time and most of those would show up at Otter Flats, Pine Island, Mill Creek, Snake Creek, Tavern Creek, etc. The timber hunting rivaled anything I've ever seen in Arkansas. In fact, before the 1990's there was not the mass exodus from Sumter, Richland, Orangeburg, and Clarendon Counties to Arkansas every year. Before the Black Duck limit was dropped from 5 to 1, it was relatively easy to kill a 5 Black limit. Of course all of this depended on the water levels, but I rarely remember Sparkleberry being dry. We had to go through a field, open and close a gate and put in at the "old" landing.
    Professor

PS: In the 50's and 60's Pocalla Swamp in Sumter and Clarendon Counties was just as good (or better) than Sparkleberry!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I ran into Billy a lot when hunting Parr, heck of a nice fella. I never did see him in Santee.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

This could be interesting, anyone remember Jim Rembert?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    This could be interesting, anyone remember Jim Rembert?
    I remember the name from those days, but can't put a face on it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Rembert was in Mississippi last I heard..

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningGold View Post
    "Sunrise on the Santee", by Julius M. Reynolds

It talks a lot about Sparkleberry as well as other different areas around the state
    One of yall let me hold a copy, I'll give it back I promise!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Indeed, yet I have killed no Jack Miners today, this month, or this season as our boy DHall has. I am more jealous of his awesome pig of a bird than everyone else combined.

First Peter 5:7 "Cast all your care upon God"

only ticket I have ever gotten was from as we called him FAT LEO, 75 bucks back then was a lot of money. Heard he done retired but a hell of a warden.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by bdunc View Post
    Rembert was in Mississippi last I heard..
    He was. Me and some other guys hunted out there and in Ark. with him. He moved back to SC a few years ago but last time I saw him he said he was ready to go somewhere else. Crazy SOB but can be fun to hunt with.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I am old enough to have caught the tail end of the good stuff in the Sparkle and it was good, actually it was great and it could certainly be better than Arkansas. This is one of the reasons I get so pissed at the present management. I often wonder how much money SC looses annually from its lack of ducks as hunters pour OOS. Not to even mention the lack of BASS tours etc.

Back then SC had way less tax / license / stamp monies yet somehow WAY more ducks ?? Priorities I reckon that and fat politicians. PMTFO!
    Last edited by Strick9; 12-04-2015 at 11:59 PM.
    Genesis 9;2

Just saw an old rotted out steel drum up in a tree when we were down there on the first split. Didn't see it until shooting time haha.

Quote Originally Posted by BrowningGold View Post
    Some of those drums are still up in the trees...I can only imagine shooting ducks out of those. Not sure if I would agree with it being sportin' or not, but I think I'd enjoy it

Quote Originally Posted by quackaholic22 View Post
    Just saw an old rotted out steel drum up in a tree when we were down there on the first split. Didn't see it until shooting time haha.
    haha

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    He was. Me and some other guys hunted out there and in Ark. with him. He moved back to SC a few years ago but last time I saw him he said he was ready to go somewhere else. Crazy SOB but can be fun to hunt with.

I know all of his spots.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands