Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Testing the Reloading River Depth with Both Feet

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Testing the Reloading River Depth with Both Feet

I went all in, well as much as my gift cards and wallet would allow. I started with loading just 7mm-08 and .300wm.

I have loaded a variety of sorts for each caliber, mixing different bullets and powders.

What I have loaded so far:
    7mm-08 with 120gr Barnes TXS BT tipped with 47g of IMR 4350

7mm-08 with 150gr Nosler Partition Ballistic Tip, with 44g of IMR4350

300wm with a 180gr Nosler E-Tip with 79g of H1000

300wm with 200gr Berger Hybrid with 68g of IMR4350

300wm with 180gr Barnes TXS with 81g of H1000

3000wm with 200gr Berger Hybrid with 66g of IMR 4350

Obviously, I'm starting with just two powders to choose from, but after reading different forums for several weeks the two I started with seemed to be the most versatile. I got the RCBS Rock Chucker Press and RCBS dies, but I also added the Hornady Lock n Load conversion die/bushing set- which makes it so easy.

I am completely green at this, but it is already lot of fun. I have yet to test any of my builds at the range, but I am anxious to do so.

I am open to and seeking guidance from any and all experienced reloaders on here.

Here is a pic of the bench my buddy and I built last week- I am pretty satisfied with how it turned out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

Do you have a crono?
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    Do you have a crono?

No, but I am sure you do. Let's go to the range and do some testing.

“The America Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public’s money.”

I have a tumbler you can borrow when the time comes. Are you priming with the press or a hand tool? You might want to consider a powder trickler if you don't have one.I also have some different powders that you could try along with those trial packs of bullets. Varget, RL19, some IMR and VV.
    Last edited by rrconductor; 11-27-2015 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rrconductor View Post
    I have a tumbler you can borrow when the time comes. Are you priming with the press or a hand tool? You might want to consider a powder trickler if you don't have one.I also have some different powders that you could try along with those trial packs of bullets. Varget, RL19, some IMR and VV.

I didn't know you reloaded, maybe you can swing by an teach me some things.

I'm slammed till after the first of the year... I'm working today and tomorrow even
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

There is is a guy on 24CF with 200 pcs. of brand new Norma 7-08 brass for $160 shipped.

Ditto on the hand primer, powder trickler and chrono.

I prefer an electronic scale over a balance beam but I still use the beam to check the electronic one.

One thing I've been wanting is a case prep station. They have several rotating spindles for tasks like primer pocket cleaning, case neck cleaning and deburring, etc.

You're going to need a case trimmer.

I don't bother with tumbling cases. Sometimes I just polish brass by hand with fine steel wool while I'm spinning it in the case trimmer. Doing it that way makes it very easy to find splits, cracks or deformities.

For real fine tuning, you're going to want headspace and bullet seating gauges.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/574...-_-ProductLink

Oh, and label your batches and keep good notes. A notepad might be one of the most important things on your bench.

You gonna need a bigger work bench
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I have the RCBS trimmer, scale and hand priming tool.

I've started an excel spreadsheet to keep details of each load.

Need a tickler because my RCBS powder measure throws inconsistent charges (+-.5g)

An RCBS Chargemaster is a good investment . I will never trickle a charge again. I hate to think of the hours wasted throwing charges then trickling them close. If you are going to load more than a handful of cartridges at a time it's worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    An RCBS Chargemaster is a good investment . I will never trickle a charge again. I hate to think of the hours wasted throwing charges then trickling them close. If you are going to load more than a handful of cartridges at a time it's worth every penny.
    Yep and the RCBS power trim pro is badass, I'll never hand trim another piece of brass.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Yep and the RCBS power trim pro is badass, I'll never hand trim another piece of brass.

I have the trim pro 2- but still have to set it and spin it by hand. I'm guessing the "power trim" is an automatic version?

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    I have the trim pro 2- but still have to set it and spin it by hand. I'm guessing the "power trim" is an automatic version?

Yeah, it's the power version. While it's trimming the next piece of brass, I'm chamfering, deburring, cleaning the primer pocket and priming the previous one. Throw it in the can and do it again. I load in batches of 50-100 and do one step at a time, though right now I'm trying to get about 400 pieces of .308 set up to put powder and bullets to.

Good looking group on that 7mm08. You're hooked now.

Get a trickler and set your measure to drop .5grn under.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 12-02-2015 at 04:46 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Ditch the RCBS lock rings on your dies and replace with Hornady lock rings.

I load 45.5grns H4350 under a 150grn NBT. I'm swapping powders for H414 after I shoot all the I have loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Ditch the RCBS lock rings on your dies and replace with Hornady lock rings.

I load 45.5grns H4350 under a 150grn NBT. I'm swapping powders for H414 after I shoot all the I have loaded.
    Definitely do this. rcbs lock rings suck ass. Also I got the small tumbler from harbor freight use with stainless media and lemi-shine works well for me.

Was able to make it to the range for a little while this afternoon, tested the 7mm-08 and 300 I loaded up last week. The 300 loads need some tweaking... However, I think I have found the perfect match for my Remington model 7, 7mm-08

150gr Nosler Partition with 44.5g of IMR4350

This is a 5 shot group at 100yards using a leadsled:

Quote Originally Posted by The Conservative View Post
    Was able to make it to the range for a little while this afternoon, tested the 7mm-08 and 300 I loaded up last week. The 300 loads need some tweaking... However, I think I have found the perfect match for my Remington model 7, 7mm-08

150gr Nosler Partition with 44.5g of IMR4350

This is a 5 shot group at 100yards using a leadsled:

U might want to be careful using a leadsled, they can rattle a scope.
    Yeah, been reloading since the late '60's, shotshells, rifle and pistol.

Check your PM's Conservative.
    Low country redneck who moved north