I have been bowhunting for better part of 30 years and have taken my share of deer with all types of broadheads, hell I even used the old punchcutters that I believe were the first mechanical blades

I have been using Rage for last 6-7 yrs and never lost a deer but to be honest never overly impressed with blood trails but they work.

I know NOTHING about crossbows but buddy of mine has 2 young boys and he bought crossbows for Christmas and they are pretty good shots with them.

He asked me about broadheads (he knows NOTHING about archery equipment at all) and I told him what I used.

Any way he has neat set up behind his house with deer coming to corn like clock work and in last week both boys have shot bucks but lost them. (Both boys have killed several deer each with guns, bucks & does). He was in stand both times and it sounded like first one hit shoulder bone, he said he heard a loud "smack". I can see this one not being fatal

The younger one made a pretty good shot a few days later on another buck and he called me and they ate supper and let deer lay down. While tracking they jumped it twice and found big puddle of blood each time but not a very good blood trail

They reluctantly backed off that night and went back next am with no luck

My question is what type of blade do those that use crossbows like, mechanical or fixed.

I realize a good shot it should not matter but he tells me second shot was pretty good

I did give him the typical bowhunting advice of making sure of when shooting of thinking of exit spot more than entry spot and to make sure they shoot BEHIND the should instead of typical gun shot to shoulder shot

He is a very experinced and patient hunter as are his boys, both are very mature for their ages

Naturally he and boys feel bad about wounding deer and loosing them, boys feel awful about it

Again I have NOT A CLUE about a crossbow(he knows my thoughts on crossbows too LOL )