Thread: Ford 4R100 transmission KRT

Default Ford 4R100 transmission KRT

Pulling a big gooseneck over the mountain on I-26 between NC and TN last week I managed to blow one of the seals out of my transmission and stopped just short of destroying the whole thing. Who would you recommend for a rebuild kit manufacturer? 2002 F-250 with the 7.3 stock motor with no plans to do any modifications, just towing a trailer and equipment.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

What seal did you blow?

Whatever it takes transmission. Or find a local transtar store. Where are you from?

I think its the input shaft seal based on where the ATF was pouring out.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Converter seal. Front pump seal. Check the bushing too. You can pick up both them at a local parts house

Got it handled?
    More fuel = more boost!!

While I've got it out I'm going to rebuild it.completely. what's your suggestion on a complete rebuild kit?

If I ever need another one, it'll be a BTS Trans . Brian is the 4r100 guru and is probably the best on the market.
    Malo periculosam libertatem quam quietum servitium. -

I prefer liberty with danger, to peace with slavery.

Not sure if this helps or not but that transmission has a peculiar aspect. If it begins to overheat it will shove the fluid out of the top of the transmission and it will appear to have broken a seal. It is like the transmission pukes the fluid out. If you let it cool and replace the fluid it will be fine. Of course if it is making noises or not working properly it is done and will need rebuilding.

Good luck.