Thread: ticks around dogs eyes

Default ticks around dogs eyes

Bathed my lab yesterday and when I got home from work I noticed a ton of small ticks around his eyes and some at the tip of his ears. We give him flea and tick preventative and have never had an issue until now. I got a good bit of them off but not all of them. Maybe its coincidence that it happened after we bathed them but I find that hard to believe.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any help /advice on how to get rid of them would be appreciated.

If you do the treatments then they should die and fall off. Our dog gets seed ticks bad from time to time. We bathe her and then let the ones that we cant find/get fall off on their own.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

What kind of preventative are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Frontline

Seresto collar. Problem solved
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

Quote Originally Posted by Grebe View Post
    Seresto collar. Problem solved
    This

Sometimes they build up an "immunity" to the chemical.

Try a Seresto collar, they're awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Thanks... just ordered one.

where is the best place to order these collars ?
    the fleas have been the worst this summer I've seen in a while
    rip Dakota

Does that seresto collar work good on fleas ?

Got mine on Amazon. It was $44

Check between toes, armpit area and soft skin spots too. That's me remind get those bastards.
    Windows Down!

Both of my dogs have worn the collars for two years. I have found one dried up tick in that time frame. Not the first flea. Put a zip tie toward the end of the collar so it won't come loose, and use the reflectors in case it does.
    Have you tried mashin' ctrl/alt/del?

We just had this problem with our toy mutt, first time but not with the lab. Our grass was high, not sure if that anything to do with it.

Frontline sucks. If you are still using topicals for flea/tick control you need to go slap your vet. Unless you ignored them in which case you need to slam your hand in the car door.

Between Bravecto, Nexgard and seresto collars there is zero need for topicals any more. Unless you like buying generic frontline from walmart that doesn't work.

Frontline sucks. If you are still using topicals for flea/tick control you need to go slap your vet. Unless you ignored them in which case you need to slam your hand in the car door.

Between Bravecto, Nexgard and seresto collars there is zero need for topicals any more. Unless you like buying generic frontline from walmart that doesn't work.
    Ha. Thanks Glenn. I recon it's my fault then as I have used it for years and always told my vet I had flea and tick prevention covered as I would order them online. Hopefully the seresto collar will take care of it.

I have had one or two minor issues with fleas on the dog even with the seresto collar. But the conditions on the coast make for a perfect environment with the little bastards. Flea preventatives kill the flea after it consumes it's first meal on the pet. This still gives it an opportunity to hop on the dog and come in your home where it can lay eggs. That being said....seresto has been the best preventative I have used thus far. In the springtime, I give my dog a bath about once a week with Adams flea/tick shampoo. It has permethrin in it and that has helped significantly. I also treat the yard with granulized fire ant killer (it also kills fleas). As far as ticks....we haven't had the first issue. The dog spends a few months a year in Minnesota on a trainers truck, and it's cut way down on the amount of ticks being found on dogs. Seresto is good stuff. Just make sure you change it out sooner than 8 months if the dog is active and in the water a lot.
    Last edited by marsh chicken; 09-01-2015 at 09:11 AM.

What about all the reports of the siezures and loss off appetite and lack of energy with the collars I have read about. Anybody had a dog go through this ?