Thread: First AR

Default First AR

I have been contemplating getting a AR I guess just for the sake of having one and home defense if it ever came to that. I don't know a whole lot about them, but have been reading what I can on the internet. Today I got a email from PSA for a complete blem Magpul lower for 169 and a PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1/8 STAINLESS STEEL FREEDOM UPPER - WITH BCG AND CHARGING HANDLE. Would this be a good combo as a first AR to learn the gun and be fairly reliable? They have some PTAC stuff on sale too, but I have read enough to stay away from it. Thanks.
    Last edited by boatcapt; 07-24-2015 at 07:37 PM.

I would recommend buying a PSA CHF upper, get mid length gas... It is a much nicer barrel for not a lot more money.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Build a SBR and buy a supressor. Stamps take a while. No matter what you build you'll eventually want a sbr and suppressor. Go ahead and initiate the process now rather than wait a year. The link below is a good place to start.

http://tarheelstatefirearms.com/

Drive to the store in mount pleasant to get your gun. They have a deal with a rifle and a great vortex optic for $699.99. You will not be disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaGuy View Post
    Drive to the store in mount pleasant to get your gun. They have a deal with a rifle and a great vortex optic for $699.99. You will not be disappointed.

Can a ooser get this deal online? If so, link please. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buy the one you're looking at. Midlength is most reliable for 16" barrels and 1/8 twist is good for shooting plinking ammo and some of the heavier self defense stuff. You won't be able to stabilize the lighter varmint stuff (40ish grains) but 50-70 grainers should fly true. Good begginer AR for sure
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by straightline View Post
    Can a ooser get this deal online? If so, link please. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Just an in store deal. A NC resident can buy it in the store if your down this way before the end of the month.

I agree with 'tman' ....... what you've selected will make a great AR. The stainless barrel and 1/8 twist should make for an accurate rig. If you're looking to blaze away with it, especially on a regular basis, I'd go with the CHF barrel. Regardless, PSA's a great company to deal with! Customer Service has always been great for me.

Ordered the lower, waiting on a good deal on a good upper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got it, ready to go shoot aside from getting some sights or optics.

Congrats!
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Did you stake the castle nut?

Posted with GS5 smartphone equipped with a dumb keyboard.

Castle nut is staked, gtg.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoy....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Don't know about you, but I shot mine with the original trigger just to see how good or bad they really are. I definitely want an aftermarket.

If you're handy with your hands and you've ever done any trigger work, the milspec triggers aren't hard to improve. There are youtube videos that can walk you through it. If you screw up, the replacement parts aren't expensive.

Whether you DIY or buy an aftermarket, you definitely should upgrade the trigger.