Thread: Looking for camper and what to look for...

Default Looking for camper and what to look for...

Starting to look for a camper for the family.

27' at most....just wife and 2 boys right now. Some have told me to get slide out but I don't consider it a must....just something dependable

Certain brands to stay away from?

7k price range at most.....

What do I need to look for when looking...

Anybody got any leads on any other than craigslist...?
    One on Trading post was spot on other than price and it sold before I could get to see it....2005 jayco jay flight Baja I think......
    thanks for any advice....
    "Preach the Gospel everyday; if necessary, use words."

Dixiedeerslayer has one in trading post that sounds perfect
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Stay the hell away from the FEMA trailers a lot of guys sell online. Hunting forums, camper forums, etc are the best places to shop. I think a slide out is a must if you have a family. It makes a huge difference in the amount of room. Travel trailer will probably be cheaper than a 5th wheel. Allow your budget to cover the extra necessities involved in towing, storage, camping, etc

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    Dixiedeerslayer has one in trading post that sounds perfect
    sold but his was my first thought too.....something like that will be what i look for next when this pop-up gets too small

I have a pop up that works great for us but I have 2 girls who like to spend all day at the beach instead of at the camper. The thing I like most is we can hook to it and pull it anywhere with zero trouble. Truck doesn't know it is back there. We spend way more time outside under the canopy than we do in the camper. Be sure and get one of these:
    http://www.campingworld.com/category/ice-makers/482
    Become one with nature then marinate it.

Quote Originally Posted by HDLABS View Post
    Starting to look for a camper for the family.

27' at most....just wife and 2 boys right now. Some have told me to get slide out but I don't consider it a must....just something dependable

Certain brands to stay away from?

7k price range at most.....

What do I need to look for when looking...

Anybody got any leads on any other than craigslist...?
    One on Trading post was spot on other than price and it sold before I could get to see it....2005 jayco jay flight Baja I think......
    thanks for any advice....

You may want to see if the camper would pass the blacklight test.

just sayin...

The one I had listed was about as nice as you are gonna fine in a 27' length in the 7-8k price range. Be very careful when shopping for used campers. Look very hard for any water damage. If you see any at all, stay away. Campers often get used for 4 months out of the year and then don't even get opened the other 8 months. A small leak can turn into a huge expensive mess pretty quick. Also check out the awnings. Make sure they aren't dry rotted. A lot of people come back from camping with a wet awning. They roll that awning ul and leave it rolled up until next camping trip. That'll cause dry rot quick.

Used Campers are only as good as how the owners took care of them

Good luck!

If you plan to park it anywhere near the Sumter Wateree club, make sure it is bulletproof...

Why? I am huntin the OTHER side of the RIVER. BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWSLPOMIKNUJRFE#W
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I always wanted one of those Airstream Bambi campers.

What will your truck handle?

Professor can you send pics and some other details?

Slide out will make a big difference in space for your size range. As stated above, look close for water damage. Corners, seams, windows and all the way around slide out if camper has one. Also check roof condition and how condensation from A/C runs off. Some gas hot water heaters have pilot light that you have to light manually. (That can be annoying.)

If you find one you are interested in take it to a reputable camper dealer and have them do an inspection. Its worth it in the long run for an expert to review it... Just my few cents to add.

Thanks for input.
    If anyone sees any like the one dixiedeerslayer had on here I'd appreciate it if you'd send me info.

As has been stated slides make a huge difference.

As for what to look for, look for any signs of water damage on the ceilings and walls. Water leaks can kill a camper in a hurry.