Thread: Irrigation depleting aquifer at unsustainable pace

Default Irrigation depleting aquifer at unsustainable pace

The effects of the depleted aquifer already can be felt on Scott’s farm, where he’s had to reduce irrigation by 25 percent.

Some of his two dozen wells are pumping just 150 gallons per minute now, down from thousands of gallons per minute when they were first drilled. And as the water table drops, the energy costs of pumping from deeper underground have become higher than the cash rents Scott pays on the fields he leases.

“We’ve gone through periods where we re-drilled and tapped all but the very lowest water,” Scott said. “There are places we don’t pump the wells anymore.”

But for a growing number of farmers and ranchers in this part of the state, the consequences of mining water are no longer far off in some hazy future. They are already here.

“It’s not that I can say, ‘Oh, this is the next people’s problem,’” Peterson said. “No, this is my problem. It’s happening now.”

Peterson has seen his own well yields drop by more than half since 2009. Back then, he could pump 5,400 gallons per minute from 15 wells.

But Peterson had to rely heavily on the aquifer during the recent drought, when his farm received less than 7 inches of rainfall a year for four years.

Now those wells are pumping just 2,600 gallons per minute for the same acres, and the water must be drawn from deeper under the ground, driving up the cost of running electric- or gas-powered pumps.

“The only thing I can do to conserve is to cut back acres,” Peterson said. “So my revenue stream, my whole operation, has been dinged pretty hard, and then drought on top of that. It’s been brutal.”

The Ogallala Aquifer supplies water for 20 percent of the corn, wheat, sorghum and cattle produced in the U.S.
    LINK

Water is becoming a very valuable commodity in eastern Arkansas.

As dry as we were in SC the first part of the summer it is a wonder we didn't start to run out!

Aquifer depletion is going to be a big big deal.

Wait until Nestle cranks up their bottled water plant in McBee in 2016. They'll suck that shit dry around here.

the next wars will be fought over water.

http://www.bluegold-worldwaterwars.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cdnredneck View Post
    Wait until Nestle cranks up their bottled water plant in McBee in 2016. They'll suck that shit dry around here.
    That's not good, but looking at the bright side,............it's McBee.

At least they can plant another crop besides rice.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    At least they can plant another crop besides rice.
    Until the water runs out.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMO SNOB View Post
    Until the water runs out.

And that is the TRUTH. 30 years ago a SMART MAN told me Water will be worth more than Gold one day.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    30 years ago a SMART MAN told me Water will be worth more than Gold one day.
    Sounds like something Mack Whittle would say. An ounce of water will not eclipse an ounce of gold on the markets.

Please don't mention that assholes name around me, Thanks
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

The depletion of the Oglalla has been discussed for decades. Discussed. Nothing more. Its long been known that withdrawals were outstripping recruitment. Of course, nothing was done, and any attempt at regulation or even voluntary restraint would have been derided as overeaching government and environmental looniness.

I remember a discussion on SDH with some Arkie who came on to razz us about the quality of SC duck hunting. He was told that his turn was coming, because rice would become untenable in Ark. within 15 years due to groundwater exhaustion.