Thread: Small bass

Default Small bass

A pond I fish seems to mostly produce 1/2 pound bass. The bream are really large, but the bass are lacking.

What is the problem and solution?

Too many bass in there. Start keeping a lot of them!

What Cottontop said (did I really just type that?). If you don't want to keep them, throw them up on the bank.
    Last edited by Carolina Counsel; 07-08-2015 at 10:54 AM.
    Carolina Counsel

If there's another pond nearby, take some of them and put em over there...if you're not interested in eating them.

When I was a kid, there was a pond at the end of our road that was loaded with all variety of sunfish and tiny bass. You could catch fish as fast as you put an earth worm back in the water. But there were no bass larger than 1/4 pound and most were 6 to 8" long.

The owner and I took it upon ourselves to catch bass from other ponds and bring them back to that pond. We used coolers to transport. We transformed that pond from extremely poor bass fishing into the only place I wanted to go bass fishing in about one year. Seriously, it was off the chain.

We had the same problem in a pond I fish. We kept every bass we caught for about 3 years and now the pond is back to normal.

pondboss.com

forage. cover. take 100lbs bass/acre.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    If there's another pond nearby, take some of them and put em over there...if you're not interested in eating them.

When I was a kid, there was a pond at the end of our road that was loaded with all variety of sunfish and tiny bass. You could catch fish as fast as you put an earth worm back in the water. But there were no bass larger than 1/4 pound and most were 6 to 8" long.

The owner and I took it upon ourselves to catch bass from other ponds and bring them back to that pond. We used coolers to transport. We transformed that pond from extremely poor bass fishing into the only place I wanted to go bass fishing in about one year. Seriously, it was off the chain.
    I might be able to try this. We are about to bust a dam for repairs on a small pond nearby and I imagine there will be some big fish at the bottom when it drains.

If your bream are running one size then you need to work on them too.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    I might be able to try this. We are about to bust a dam for repairs on a small pond nearby and I imagine there will be some big fish at the bottom when it drains.
    That's a great idea.

I'd probably enjoy the monster bream for a good little while before I started tampering with nature.

Everywhere has pretty good bass fishing, true monster bream fishing is to be cherished.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

If you need me to remove some fish I am free Saturday a.m.
    They say the only time a fishermen tells the truth is when he tells you another fisherman is a liar.

my bream are getting so big they are busting out of their foreheads.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    my bream are getting so big they are busting out of their foreheads.
    Do you have shellcracker in there too, or just gills?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

plenty of redears. they bit a month or two ago. big purple knot-headed bastards biting now.

I like having the bass over populated because the bream will be huge. I can catch big bass a the lake if I want them.

Stock 1000 golden shiners per acre
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Use the search function. There is a good pond thread from a month or so ago. If I could see or felt like looking it up I'd help you but I can't and don't so I want. But the thread talks about bass to bream ratios bream feeders and minnows to stock for bass food.