Thread: It works

Default It works

October 3, 2014. One rep Max deadlift---255#
    April 7, 2015. One rep Max deadlift----300#
    June 2, 2015. One rep Max deadlift---335#

We are at the end of an 8 week cycle and retesting our one rep Maxes. I hate running unless we are doing 100m sprints or something short but still not as winded as I used to be.

I need to get back to eating paleo and preparing for this kentucky elk hunt in september. That's going to be a lot of walking up and down mountains and hopefully hauling an elk out as well.

If I can do it anyone can do it, I used to come up with every excuse in the book not to go workout or want to go try it. Nine months into it and I'm kicking myself daily for not doing it sooner.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

nice work, chuckie
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

80lb improvement on the deadlift, that is awesome.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Solid work my man solid work!

Numbers don't lie!
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

A dunk tank BMI is something I wish I would have done when I started. Weighing yourself is so inaccurate if you are doing metabolic conditioning and strength work.

We had one come to the gym back in February and I got a baseline then. This was a little after a year of doing CrossFit. Probably going to do one again soon and then at the end of the year until I get where I want and can maintain.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Killing it, Chuckie! Good gains on the DL. Keep after it. Running sucks - at least for me. I don't mind sprints, either, but anything over 200m is just miserable. Working on breathing and pacing has helped, but I have been lazy of late, and need to get back to it. It was a good day, when I broke 10 minutes on the mile for the first time in two decades. Was working on a 9 min mile when ball season knocked me out of the box.

Outstanding work, Chuck. I say all the time that it's mighty fun getting stronger as an old man. I'll be 43 in August and am the strongest I've ever been.

We had a heavy squat day last week where where we end with as many reps as we can of about 85% of our 1RM - I went 305x8. I went over to the board to write it down and saw where at some point in the past year, I had a 10RM of 205 on the board. Damn near 100lb improvement on a back squat in less than a year's time will turn a man's crank. My goal is to squat 400lbs sometime in 2015 and there's no way I could have done that even in my 20's. Like you said - it works. But only if you put in the work and it's obvious you've done that. Good on you.

And running is for cowards.
    I don't need my name in the marquee lights....

Tomorrow is find 1RM floor press-- 8 weeks ago it was 180# tomorrow's goal is at least 225

Friday is find 1 RM back squat-- 8 weeks ago it was 250# Friday's goal will be at least 300#.

Ever since I had back surgery in December of 2010, I've been scared to death of lifting anything heavy for fear of having to have surgery again. Doing a lot of core work has helped to strengthen my back and lose some of that fear, that fear is still there everytime I step up to the bar but not like it used to be.

It's like the founder of the Grok forum said, "Your back wont get stronger if you sit on your ass all the time and not work it."
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Excellent work.

Couldn't get to my goal of 225# but did get 200#. I figured a 45# gain was a bit much but that's why we have goals.
    Pendlay row 1 RM of 175# that's 25# more than 8 weeks ago

Progress is a good thing.

More progress this morning but couldn't reach my goal. Ended up with 285# squat so a 35# increase in 8 weeks isn't too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    More progress this morning but couldn't reach my goal. Ended up with 285# squat so a 35# increase in 8 weeks isn't too bad.
    Those are huge increases in so short a time frame. Nothing to sneeze at for certain. Great work!

A couple of years ago the owner of Integrity posted up this deal to turn a 5 rep max back squat into a 20 rep max.

To get started, he programmed a WOD that allowed us to find our 5 rep max. For me it was 265. And so, the following Monday we dropped 120lbs off our respective 5 rep max weight (145lbs for me) and we did it 20 times unbroken. Unbroken being the operative word here. The following Thursday, we added 5lbs. And for the next 11 weeks following, we added 2.5lbs to each side X 20 reps on Mondays and Thursdays until we were standing under our original 5 rep max weight. Only now, we're able to squat it 20 times. The entire duration was 12 weeks.

I'm not gonna lie, there were times when I wondered on rep 12 and 13 if I could finish. But I did. And at the end of that evolution, 300lbs was a chip shot and every lift was stronger. Nothing has ever driven me so hard to make it to the gym as that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    A couple of years ago the owner of Integrity posted up this deal to turn a 5 rep max back squat into a 20 rep max.

To get started, he programmed a WOD that allowed us to find our 5 rep max. For me it was 265. And so, the following Monday we dropped 120lbs off our respective 5 rep max weight (145lbs for me) and we did it 20 times unbroken. Unbroken being the operative word here. The following Thursday, we added 5lbs. And for the next 11 weeks following, we added 2.5lbs to each side X 20 reps on Mondays and Thursdays until we were standing under our original 5 rep max weight. Only now, we're able to squat it 20 times. The entire duration was 12 weeks.

I'm not gonna lie, there were times when I wondered on rep 12 and 13 if I could finish. But I did. And at the end of that evolution, 300lbs was a chip shot and every lift was stronger. Nothing has ever driven me so hard to make it to the gym as that.
    We did the same thing at my gym but dropped 90lbs and added 5lbs each time on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. It makes you push yourself around the 18th and 19th rep to not rack the bar and have to repeat that weight. I jumped from a 235lb max to a 300lb max from that program.

Prior to a couple of different elk hunts out of several I have done I injured myself in preparation. Obviously I was really pushing myself to the limits to be in shape for the hunt and all the way up to departure date. Simply put I injured myself from pushing to hard..

In retrospect I should have backed off just a bit on the routine before the hunt and just maintained which is now my mantra before going on any anticipated hunting trip.. Just saying..
    Genesis 9;2