Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you?

Default How many of you?

The place I hunt is about 400 acres and as of last year we had 18 food plots during deer season. Every year it seems like we add another one. I have always planted the same 5 spring plots year after year. Most of my plots are a quarter acre or under. I've got 2 that may be a little bigger. Two years ago I finally broke down and bought a motorized spreader for my four wheeler. I think that is the best money I ever spent. Before that I planted each plot with a damn shoulder bag hand seeder. I still know ALOT of people that still do it that way. How many of you on here still plant food plots with a shoulder seeder?
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 06-24-2015 at 01:33 PM.

I do but I plant no more than 5 acres

I do, but only planting a few acres.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Hand spreading fertilizer and seed is a bitch, especially in August and September! I don't know how I did it all those years. I pretty much had to buy a new shoulder seeder every year because the fertilizer would screw up the gears. The longest amount of time I kept a shoulder seeder was two years.

You know you can wash those things out with a water hose right?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I use both... Sometimes it's more convenient to use a shoulder bag than hooking up to bigger spreader on a 4 Wheeler.... But ill tell you right now putting out heavy fertilizer with a shoulder bag sucks
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I have done it a few times.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

It's amazing the crap we will go through to hunt something. Bought like trudging hundreds of yards through a swamp waders on. That frigging sucks! I wish I could figure out an easier way to do that. It's all worth it though!
    Last edited by Cottontop74; 06-24-2015 at 02:22 PM.

Four of us sprayed a 10 acre sunflower field with backpack sprayers one time. That was the worst.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Talk to me about a spreader for ATV. What brands and $$$. Anyone know of a used one for sale.

Bought mine from norther tool. It was $150. I love it!

bucket and a hand is what we use.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
    Talk to me about a spreader for ATV. What brands and $$$. Anyone know of a used one for sale.
    You can add a boom easily afterwards. And from what I've seen its cheaper to buy a 15 of 25 gal sprayer and add a boom. They also have single noozle spray setups now.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    I do but I plant no more than 5 acres
    It doesn't sound like he is planting more than 5 acres either. I also use the shoulder bag some. We have a 3pt tractor spreader that gets used and I'd like to eventually have a row planter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    You can add a boom easily afterwards. And from what I've seen its cheaper to buy a 15 of 25 gal sprayer and add a boom. They also have single noozle spray setups now.
    We are talking about Spreaders not Sprayers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Georgia fans... I swear.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I like a shoulder bag for super small seed like clover or turnips.

I do the same as DJP, some of that stuff can get pricey. I have a spreader on the tractor, but normally I'm not trying to be "carefree" with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I do the same as DJP, some of that stuff can get pricey. I have a spreader on the tractor, but normally I'm not trying to be "carefree" with it.
    Reminds me of a planting one time with the atv spreader. We had a bunch of the small expensive clover and maybe mustard seed. Anyway, we turned on the spreader, took off around the food plot and ran out when were were halfway around the perimeter. I was half laughing and half crying. It was a very lush strip of food plot, though.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Reminds me of a planting one time with the atv spreader. We had a bunch of the small expensive clover and maybe mustard seed. Anyway, we turned on the spreader, took off around the food plot and ran out when were were halfway around the perimeter. I was half laughing and half crying. It was a very lush strip of food plot, though.
    Hahahahaha! Yeah...fine seed would not do good in a spreader. Clover, rape, turnips, etc. I always hand seed on top after I drag everything in.