Thread: Deer Bio Question

Default Deer Bio Question

Anyone know why his rack is pink/white? It seems as though he has an infection above the eye. Just curious about the white. Lack of blood? Your thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks normal to me.

hmm. maybe a little cyst above the right eye. is that side a little more palmated? good mass but apparently a healthy deer that is thriving. will be interesting to see how his rack develops because antlers are very important.

now, it could be nematodes.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Looks like a wolve worm to me...
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Superior ocular nematodes.
    Next question

That's a big body buck. Too bad his rack is gonna be skanked up. 150 lbs and up....I put their dick in the dirt!!!

Too ban you haven't been banned yet

Looks like he'll be a neat buck in a month or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    That's a big body buck. Too bad his rack is gonna be skanked up. 150 lbs and up....I put their dick in the dirt!!!
    So you shoot deer based off of weight?
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Looks like he'll be a neat buck in a month or so.

Yep. In my opinion, a mature deer is 150 pounds and up. I normally only see one or two that size each year if that. I have tons of 125 -130 pound beautiful bucks running around, but their small bodies are easily identifiable. To me, a buck 150 pounds and up is a lot smarter and wary than a 130 lb buck. I've been letting small deer walk for years so it's not like there is a shortage of mature deer on my place. I get them in camera at night some, but rarly get a sighting while hunting. Killing one or 2 bucks a year is not hurting a thing. Is is called hunting for a reason!

Shit no, he shoots anything dumb enough to walk out in front of him. It'd be a cull anyway.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 07-02-2015 at 08:48 AM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Yep. In my opinion, a mature deer is 150 pounds and up. I normally only see one or two that size each year if that. I have tons of 125 -130 pound beautiful bucks running around, but their small bodies are easily identifiable. To me, a buck 150 pounds and up is a lot smarter and wary than a 130 lb buck. I've been letting small deer walk for years so it's not like there is a shortage of mature deer on my place. I get them in camera at night some, but rarly get a sighting while hunting. Killing one or 2 bucks a year is not hurting a thing. Is is called hunting for a reason!
    Its called being an idiot.. And you do a superb job of it..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Interesting Insight......

With the deer numbers declining around where I hunt...I'm actually re thinking shooting does for meat. I mean...I do love to eat vinison, but I like seeing deer on a regular basis as well. My place has been pretty stable as far as deer numbers but not too far away on a tract my buddy hunts, they have been declining over the last few years. I think 2 bucks and one doe will do me for this year!

I wasn't bashing you hunting/killing, your land, kill what makes you happy.

My point is weigh actually doesn't have a damn thing to do with being a mature deer or not and if you are wanting to shoot mature deer, you're not doing it right if your going by weight.

Don't say it depends where your at either.
    I've killed bucks 5 y/o and up weigh 190-200 lbs and I've killed even more that weighed 140ish lbs. On the same place its not uncommon for someone to goof up and kill a 3 1/2 year old that weighs 180lbs. Get my drift.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I wasn't bashing you hunting/killing, your land, kill what makes you happy.

My point is weigh actually doesn't have a damn thing to do with being a mature deer or not and if you are wanting to shoot mature deer, you're not doing it right if your going by weight.

Don't say it depends where your at either.
    I've killed bucks 5 y/o and up weigh 190-200 lbs and I've killed even more that weighed 140ish lbs. On the same place its not uncommon for someone to goof up and kill a 3 1/2 year old that weighs 180lbs. Get my drift.
    I hear you. This year I'm "actually" going to remove the jaw bones of the deer we kill off of my place to try and determine the age. I've never done that before and have been assuming the age based on body size. I'll be interested in seeing how they compare.

On the subject of biology...not to take this thread too far of, but I have a question about mallard age. To start off with, we rarely kill mallards anymore where I hunt but we get a few on occasion. Most of your green heads have 2 curls. My cousin killed one about ten years ago that looks like he's got a friggin Jerry Curl! It's got either 7 or 8 curls! The duck was friggin huge so I'm wondering if age had anything to do with the number of curls. Probably not, but just asking.

Your going to be very disappointed when you kill a 150lb deer and the jaw comes back 2.5,,,,and your buddy probably killed a dock duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumpknocker View Post
    Your going to be very disappointed when you kill a 150lb deer and the jaw comes back 2.5,,,,and your buddy probably killed a dock duck.
    The duck was killed in a swamp nowhere close to a lake. He has both claws too. The duck is mounted. He still brags about having killed the duck with the most curls. Now, whenever we kill one, that the first thing we check for! I killed one with four one time, but he stil has the lead!

The duck was killed in a swamp nowhere close to a lake. He has both claws too. The duck is mounted. He still brags about having killed the duck with the most curls. Now, whenever we kill one, that the first thing we check for! I killed one with four one time, but he stil has the lead!
    just b/c he had all his toes means nothing, I killed a scwa banded mallard on a lake in VA when I was in college also, nowhere near pinewood sc
    Last edited by Stumpknocker; 07-02-2015 at 09:54 AM.