Thread: E-mail from Alabama Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources

Default E-mail from Alabama Dept. of Conservation and Natural Resources

Dear Alabama Hunter,
    Recently the Wildlife Section of the Division of Wildlife and Freshwater Fisheries emailed you to gather information about your turkey hunting experiences in Alabama. More than 1,500 of you responded and we want to share the results.
    Responses were received from all 67 counties and more than half of you thought the 2015 season was worse than the 2014 season. In fact, more than half said the 2015 spring turkey season was worse than the average for both the past 5- and 10-year periods. However, more than 60 percent said they like the season starting and ending dates as they are.
    Here are results from additional questions:
    Does your hunting property have more, less or the same number of turkeys as last year?
    More: 13%
    Less: 48%
    About the Same: 39%

What do you consider to be the major factors limiting turkey numbers in your area?
    Weather: 40%
    Predators: 73%
    Disease: 5%
    Too many hunters: 13%
    Too liberal of a bag limit: 11%
    Other: 17%

Complete results from the survey are on the wild turkey page of the Outdoor Alabama website.
    "I do not hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt them because I have to. I would really rather not do it, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion"
    - Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion, 1973

great. here we go again. Now internet hunting web site members can quote another study where "73% of respondents listed coyotes as the major limiting factor on turkeys."
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Said "predators". We just got our SC surveys in a couple weeks ago. Just have my own hunting experience to reference but where I find ample nesting cover and good turkey habitat I always find turkeys each spring even with plenty of coyote sign. Was glad to hear logging at a number of locations where I hunt this past season. Figure in a few years it will show results in those areas.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

What is the opposition for year round trapping?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213