Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: General Motors active fuel management.

Yes that a yes or no on the 2013 Tahoe?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Yes that a yes or no on the 2013 Tahoe?
    Yes your 2013 has AFM
    More fuel = more boost!!

170k miles on a 2007 Silverado crew cab, lifter locked up on the way home today. My gm mechanic who is certified said afm is a joke.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

It was ME that asked the ? I will ask you again as far as the 5.3/GM in model year starting 2014. Do you think going to DI on this platform help the problem? Less fuel to get rid of etc. Thanks Kev
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I need this delete
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    It was ME that asked the ? I will ask you again as far as the 5.3/GM in model year starting 2014. Do you think going to DI on this platform help the problem? Less fuel to get rid of etc. Thanks Kev
    Dr Duck, my professional opinion is that it will. The people I know that have these are not complaining about oil consumption where as the 5.3 AFM engines started consuming oil as early as 20k miles.

The jury is out on the direct injection platform. We'll see as these engines get some miles on them. 100 plus thousand and we'll know.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I have stated over and over that I'm a GM guy and I also admitted this was a major fuck up but don't think for once Ford from 2002 to 2008 (3 valve motor) aint fucking junk! Google cam phaser. They have a horrible cam phaser issue, burnt up cams and lifters due to a lack of oiling as well.
    hell- I know- I've got 3 of them- replaced cam phasers in 1 at 300k and still rolling at 360 k,

1-- I haven't touched and it has no issues at 97k, wifes truck-she drives 5000 miles/year

1-- I put a cam phaser lock out kit it at 90 k to prevent any future problems, it's my daily driver and averages 150 miles/day.

all these problems were caused by govt regulations in the quest for fuel mileage

all I can say is you're a good guy for fixing that crap for the price you're charging

Bad Habit, I've heard of a cam phaser kit out now that comes with a wedge for the timing chain and a hand held tuner that's fixing the 3 valve issues. Source told me kit was about a grand and it workes! I haven't checked into it. When we do phasers we also try and sale the timing chain kit with guides and tensioners.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    all I can say is you're a good guy for fixing that crap for the price you're charging
    Thank you...

I can't believe that I've only had 3 people interested in the 300.00 insurance policy for this engine?? It's a no brainer to me. Some are crying warranty, well unless the technician at Chevrolet goes into the parameters of the computer and see's DOD inactive he won't have a clue. I have a GM Tech 2 and the Ford IDS factory tool and I cant tell with the Tech 2 that DOD is cut off.

Im sure if a transmission goes out at 95k the dealer won't check to see if DOD is cut off and deny a 4000.00 claim that they are going to get paid on.

Plus the one I have here with a tore up cam has 112k on it. Warranty went out 12k ago.

If you're going to keep the vehicle past 100,000 miles.... I'd get rid of the crap myself. If anything cut off DOD and don't do the tune...

EFI Live is the DOD cut off and Tune.
    More fuel = more boost!!

id like to get my truck down that way sometime. but after looking at your website you are only open mon- friday, correct? Id drive 1.30 to let you do it. Sounds like youre a pretty respectable guy so id like for you to have my business. I just dont know when id be able to get down there anytime during the week.

Good lord ppl if its a 07-13 chevy/gmc with a 5.3 it has afm silverado, sierra, yukon, tahoe, suburban, yukon xl

Now go trade the gov motor trash on a ford

Quote Originally Posted by pee dee View Post
    Good lord ppl if its a 07-13 chevy/gmc with a 5.3 it has afm silverado, sierra, yukon, tahoe, suburban, yukon xl

Now go trade the gov motor trash on a ford
    Or I can keep all of my 07-13 Chevys that are all paid for and get A2Z to do the cheap fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    Or I can keep all of my 07-13 Chevys that are all paid for and get A2Z to do the cheap fix.
    I do think that would be smarter...prob give you a deal on a fleet of them haha

I have a 2009 2500hd with the 6.0 does it have the afm? I dont think it does. but I am interested in getting it tuned. What kind of tuning can you do to it krt?

I've exhausted this.....

You can do just a DOD delete

You can do just a tune

Or you can do both

Steelin Ducks is going to do a tune and a DOD delete. I asked him to give his honest opinion of the tune. So give it a little time, he will report back.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I went through the same thing...$2k for new lifters and everything it ruint in a 07. I just bought a '08 Suburban and bought a chip for $150 that plugs into the port a scanner plugs into that bypasses the 4 cylinders cutting back.

KRT, which is more better, the permanent programmer or the removable chip?
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    I went through the same thing...$2k for new lifters and everything it ruint in a 07. I just bought a '08 Suburban and bought a chip for $150 that plugs into the port a scanner plugs into that bypasses the 4 cylinders cutting back.

KRT, which is more better, the permanent programmer or the removable chip?
    If you just want a DOD delete, thats a cheaper route you went with no doubt.

I think you get more with EFI Live. Again my opinion.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Had this problem with one of the farm trucks. Instead of rebuilding it we got a crate engine to go back in it. And if I remember they did the DOD delete on the new one. If not I may be making a trip up to see you. We have 3 trucks with AFM on the farm.