Thread: Question on binocular repair

Default Question on binocular repair

I have a pair of binos from WWII. They are high quality German manufactured.

Last time I pulled them out I noticed grease or something had run down the inside of one lens.

I think I can easily take it apart to clean it but I'm not sure how binoculars work. Are they pressurized? Do I need to work on them in an environment with no humidity? I don't want to trap moisture and have water droplets condensing inside.

Any thoughts would be appeciated. I use them all the time but don't want to totally mess them up.

Who is the manufacturer?

If they're from WWII pout em in a damn safe and but some new ones!
    Unless they are Zeiss or other high quality send em to them to have repaired.
    If you open them up yourself, consider them trashed!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

The big lense section probably screws out. The flat plate where it screws in probably has screws holding it on. If you get it off, you will see the pairs of prisms. They should not be removed because the alignment of them is a precision process. You can get to the inside of some of the lenses fairly easily but you may have grease or stains in the gap between the pairs of prisms.

Rathenow is the brand. I paid $35 for them 10 years ago and have used them regularly. Good optics, simple. They even have a range finding reticle.

http://www.suddarthoptical.com/index.html

I have no experience with the above company but looks as if they can clean or repair them.