Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: It's not a wasted effort

Done , plus 4 others
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    You need to do a give away.

Then you will have 2k responses/emails.
    I hate brown rabbits.
    Last edited by mud ugh; 03-25-2015 at 11:51 AM.

It was said tongue in cheek. i.e. I was calling out the folks who have only read this thread, but commented glibly by the hundreds, on a sponsor give away thread.

If the speedo wearing, jetski running, pro mudhole (and dare I say organized protesters) get wind of a give away in exchange for signatures...it will discount any strides made already.
    Last edited by BigBrother; 03-25-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    It was said tongue in cheek. i.e. I was calling out the folks who have only read this thread, but commented glibly by the hundreds, on a sponsor give away thread.

If the speedo wearing, jetski running, pro mudhole (and dare I say organized protesters) get wind of a give away in exchange for signatures...it will discount any strides made already.
    Hell. I thought it was a good idea. I wasn't thinking any further than getting people to send an e-mail though and I definitely see your point.

I'll just offer to give away a from the floor slap to the back of the noggin to anyone who doesnt send an email.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Done
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Anybody that hunts or fishes From Indigo Flats to Pinopolis should care about this.

Marion and Moultrie have the potential to be THE top freshwater fishing destination in the country if we stand to make it happen.

This isn't a pipe dream. The habitat is there just waiting to be managed correctly.

The bare minimum you could do is copy/paste an email. You SHOULD be actively addressing it with your Senators and Representatives.

We could take notes from the public south of us. The Florida boys assemble and make things happen for habitat all across the state.

I live on Lake Marion, but use both lakes from the high swamp to Russellville. I want the top fishing lake in the southeast at my backdoor. I want thousands of waterfowl wintering here. I want to see all the wildlife that Santee hosts to flourish...well, except maybe cormorants.

Aquatic vegetation is the key to this. Those of you that were here in 2009-2012 saw this. It was incredible.

Help bring it back and speak out against those who threaten it.

Get with the program.
    Last edited by BOGSTER; 03-25-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Anybody that hunts or fishes From Indigo Flats to Pinopolis should care about this.

Marion and Moultrie have the potential to be THE top freshwater fishing destination in the country if we stand to make it happen.

This isn't a pipe dream. The habitat is there just waiting to be managed correctly.

The bare minimum you could do is copy/paste an email. You SHOULD be actively addressing it with your Senators and Representatives.

We could take notes from the public south of us. The Florida boys assemble and make things happen for habitat all across the state.

I live on Lake Marion, but use both lakes from the high swamp to Russellville. I want the top fishing lake in the southeast at my backdoor. I want thousands of waterfowl wintering here. I want to see all the wildlife that Santee hosts to flourish...well, except maybe cormorants.

Aquatic vegetation is the key to this. Those of you that were here in 2009-2012 saw this. It was incredible.

Help bring it back and speak out against those who threaten it.

Get with the program.
    AMEN!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Aquatic Weed Management Council
    c/o South Carolina Department of Natural Resources
    PO Box 167
    Columbia, SC 29201

Re: Draft Aquatic Weed Management Plan for 2015

Dear Mr. Chairman,

The undersigned are concerned about the lack of aquatic vegetation helpful to wildlife in the Santee Cooper Lakes.

The aquatic management plans call for 16,000 acres of aquatic vegetation in Lake Marion and Marion for a balanced ecosystem. According to the latest data there are only 2750 acres. It appears overstocked grass carp have once again destroyed aquatic vegetation important to migratory waterfowl and the fisheries.

An unbalanced plan negatively affects the hunting and fishing economy of the five counties around the lake. We believe the management plan should consider the wildlife value of a plant regardless of its origin.

Water hyacinth and crested heart are two invasive plant species taking over our shallow areas that do not provide much value for wildlife. Grass carp do not eat these plant species. These plants are serious threats to the access of our lakes and require herbicides to manage.

Please consider redirecting the funds from grass carp to herbicides and attack the most prevalent noxious weeds that offer little food or habitat for wildlife.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please advise me of the Council’s decision.

Representative Phillip Lowe
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Done

Done.

Remember that they include all aquatic vegetation in their annual summary
    Emergents (cattails, cutgrass, spikerush) Floating leaf (waterlily, dollar bonnet, native floating heart, lotus - lily pad plants) and submergent (SAV)

As of 2014 per Santee Cooper's spreadsheet that was handed out at the APMC's first meeting, the entire system hosts the following:

Submersed (sav) - 698 acres (eelgrass, naiads, coontail, etc)
    Emergent - 10,437 acres (cattails, cutgrass-"sawgrass", spikerush, etc)
    Floating Leaf - 9,883 acres (lilypad plants - lotus, waterlilies, etc)

Other Species - 7,394 acres (this includes new sapling cypress - that grew during the low water years, smartweeds, dry-land aquatic dependent plants like horsetail, arrowhead, etc)

The important issue is Submersed (SAV). Eelgrass, coontail, and slender naiad were what housed the juvenile fish and what brought the ducks, coots, and other aquatic wildlife to Santee Cooper.
    By overstocking grass carp - The APMC quite literally destroyed 16k+ acres of native wildlife habitat within 3 years.
    I'm shocked that none of you on this website batted an eye. You were there to reap the benefits of the birds during the winter, and you fished the grass beds in the spring and summer.... Why aren't you making it a priority to contact your state reps to speak out against the carp stocking program?

The APMC has shown us that they are incompetent when it comes to properly maintaining the 17k acres they are bound by agreement to do.
    When questioned, they jump through the loophole that the 17k IS there - ie - lumping all aquatic dependent vegetation into the acreage.
    Meaning that when they kill 16k acres of SAV, they can say well the floating leaf plants, the emergent plants, and the "OTHER" plants make up the 17k acres - as if sawgrass lining the banks of the river, or choking out Suber Flats is beneficial to fish and waterfowl.
    The few areas of lower Marion and the perimeter of Moultrie that host dollar bonnet are the only places that have food for waterfowl -- those same places have lotus, and waterlilies, which does provide cover for fish, but don't buy that it's enough. It's the equivalent of building one brushpile in a 1000ac lake and claiming that there's enough structure for the fish.

We need the APMC to completely abolish, or at the very least restructure the carp stocking program.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    PO Box 167
    Columbia, SC 29201

Dear Mr. Chairman,

The undersigned are concerned about the lack of aquatic vegetation helpful to wildlife in the Santee Cooper Lakes.

The aquatic management plans call for 16,000 acres of aquatic vegetation in Lake Marion and Marion for a balanced ecosystem. According to the latest data there are only 2750 acres. It appears overstocked grass carp have once again destroyed aquatic vegetation important to migratory waterfowl and the fisheries.

An unbalanced plan negatively affects the hunting and fishing economy of the five counties around the lake. We believe the management plan should consider the wildlife value of a plant regardless of its origin.

Water hyacinth and crested heart are two invasive plant species taking over our shallow areas that do not provide much value for wildlife. Grass carp do not eat these plant species. These plants are serious threats to the access of our lakes and require herbicides to manage.

Please consider redirecting the funds from grass carp to herbicides and attack the most prevalent noxious weeds that offer little food or habitat for wildlife.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. Please advise me of the Council’s decision.

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

did it
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

I got 38 Representatives to sign this letter. Sent to DNR Board, Santee Board, Aquatic Board.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    PO Box 167
    Columbia, SC 29201

Dear Mr. Chairman,

Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Good job Rep Lowe! We appreciate your efforts.
    U serious Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    Indeed. We are thankful that a Representative has such a hands-on approach.

Thank you.

Third that Phillip!! Well done

Done
    “We as a group now have a greater moral responsibility to act than those who live
    in ignorance. Once you become knowledgeable, you have an obligation to do
    something about it.”—Ron Paul

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    Absolutely. . Thank you Sir.

Comments on the APMC's 2015 draft plan are due in a few days.

Over the years, we have discussed the various ways to better our public hunting. Standing up for habitat improvement is at the forefront of this.
    I take a stand for the Santee Cooper lakes because that's where I live, where I hunt, and where I fish.
    It's where I grew up.
    Those of you that grew up hunting and fishing on other lakes and rivers should stand up for your waters.
    I'll stand with you. I don't hunt any other inland lakes, but what's good for your lake is good for the state.

Please take the time to write an email. It's a simple task that will take only a minute of your time.

You have to believe that change is possible, to make it real.

Come on guys.