Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elk hunts

Default Elk hunts

Its on my bucket list, I know its gonna cost and take time but I want to start saving and planning now. I'm not looking for record book size, I just wanna go and experience it.

Who's been? Who's going soon? Tell me about it? What do I need to start doing now, applying for tags, etc? I don't have a state in mind or a guide, etc.

Educate me. PM me if you don't want to throw it all out there.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Where you wanting to go? Out west or closer to home.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Molliesmaster I'm in the same boat any info you get if you don't mind passing it on , I would appreciate it.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-10-2015 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Where you wanting to go? Out west or closer to home.
    I will go where the elk are. I like out west, so I would prefer to do it out there. Cost wise, it may be cheaper to do it close to home. I'm not shy, I'll hop on a plane tomorrow for the experience. I guess I would like to know all the options.

Will do banded. We need to find a group that goes every year and jump on with them. I know of a group that used to go, but I think some of them got too old to do it and they all stopped.

Oh, I should also note, I won't be using a bow, so no pods.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 02-10-2015 at 11:31 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I'm in the same boat and just trying to see what info is out there.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Chuck, when are you trying to go? Seems like if we could get enough people interested we could get a group rate with an outfitter. May be an idea.

Anytime really. My brother and I have a bucket list of an elk and then at some point a bear.
    I'll shoot you a pm later today one I get to a computer

I'm probably going to go after them in the next five years, not sure where yet, but it will be out west.

I have a few other things I'm scheduled to kill before that trip though.

I have done two archery DIY public hunts in two states in the west. Cost is as cheap or as expensive as you make it. I killed a 5x5 bull on the first trip and had two 300" 6x6 bulls in range this past year but could not close the deal on either one. PM me more specific questions and I will answer what I know.

New Mexico or Colorado should be the two states at the top of your list.

AZ or Utah if you want a chance at a sure enough Giant. Bring your wallet.

There are outfitters that will assist with tags. If you are only going to do it once, do it right.

DIY for Elk is setting yourself up for a low probablity of success. If or when you kill one, it isn't like quartering up a deer and throwin it in a cooler. You need to have a plan for meat and trophy care.

Elk Venison is delicious.

Just a couple pennies worth of info. When you see and hear a bull bugling for the first time, your hair will stand on end. Majestic creatures..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    New Mexico or Colorado should be the two states at the top of your list.

AZ or Utah if you want a chance at a sure enough Giant. Bring your wallet.

There are outfitters that will assist with tags. If you are only going to do it once, do it right.

DIY for Elk is setting yourself up for a low probablity of success. If or when you kill one, it isn't like quartering up a deer and throwin it in a cooler. You need to have a plan for meat and trophy care.

Elk Venison is delicious.

Just a couple pennies worth of info. When you see and hear a bull bugling for the first time, your hair will stand on end. Majestic creatures..
    Can you recommend a guide for Colorado or New Mexico? This may not be a one time trip for me. I've never cared about how big the horns were on anything, they are nice, but I am going to have the hair stand up experience, not the "hey, look at the calcium deposit hanging on my wall."

I've put the deposit on a hunt next fall in Western Montana. Getting ready to put in for the deer/elk combo license draw in the next week or so. My father is getting on up in years and this has been on his bucket list as well so we're making it happen this year before he can't hike the mountains anymore.

The MT, ID and northern WY herds have been absolutely decimated by wolves, and the wolf legislation being passed by the "environmentalist" groups will guarantee that it'll be decades before those elk herds recover. Your best chances are now in NM and CO (AZ if you can get the tag).

PM sent.

I have been to CO 5 times 4 with the same outfitter, J&D Outfitters. 5 bulls, 1 really nice MD buck and a great pronghorn. Drove out, hunted the outfitters private land/leases and got decent bulls every time. Don't know about cost now, I stopped in '04 and averaged 4K-5K per. Great experience. Went once to public land in the White River area and saw elk, but saw so many hunters that I said never again would I hunt public in CO. NM is great I am told but the cost was just too high in NM for me. Hunted in the Montrose, Divide, and Woodland Park areas. All I all it was well worth it and JD did the best job. There are high fence elk ranches between here and CO if you are interested and you can get more inches guaranteed at close to the same prices. PM me if you want to talk about it..

Quote Originally Posted by SCcdp View Post
    I've put the deposit on a hunt next fall in Western Montana. Getting ready to put in for the deer/elk combo license draw in the next week or so. My father is getting on up in years and this has been on his bucket list as well so we're making it happen this year before he can't hike the mountains anymore.
    Good luck, I just had to cancel mine, but set up for 2016.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    The MT, ID and northern WY herds have been absolutely decimated by wolves, and the wolf legislation being passed by the "environmentalist" groups will guarantee that it'll be decades before those elk herds recover. Your best chances are now in NM and CO (AZ if you can get the tag).

PM sent.
    How dare you share this info. Now everyone from SCducks is going to flock to NM and CO.

See how silly it looks

Got a good friend that lives in northern NM. Went out and turkey hunted with him and was amazed at the number of elk I saw. After the second day I didn't even pay them any attention anymore. Going back out there this spring. Can't wait.
    Last edited by DMP; 02-10-2015 at 03:33 PM.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!

Quote Originally Posted by Murray View Post
    How dare you share this info. Now everyone from SCducks is going to flock to NM and CO.

See how silly it looks
    Please show me where I mentioned any specific locations, counties, or even directions (N, S, E or W) in those very large states, and then you would have a point. I never would've said anything if people would leave it to that sort of generality. Otherwise, quit whining and continue being a wanna be hunter looking for handouts from people with knowledge.

See how silly you look?

Quote Originally Posted by DMP View Post
    Got a good friend that lives in northern NM. Went out and turkey hunted with him and was amazed at the number of elk I saw. After the second day I didn't even pay them any attention anymore. Going back out there this spring. Can't wait.
    It sure is hard to beat those Merriam turkeys, isn't it? Do they have Rios in NM too?

Quote Originally Posted by buckfarmer View Post
    It sure is hard to beat those Merriam turkeys, isn't it? Do they have Rios in NM too?

It's an awesome place to hunt for sure. They may have Rios in the eastern part of the state towards Texas, but not real sure.
    I know they have Gould's in the SW corner of the state.
    Warning: The Surgeon General has determined that turkey hunting is an addictive activity that will disrupt normal sleep patterns!