Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: To Burn or Not To Burn

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    Yea you can't just call in get a number and then burn whenever....Also have you location (nearest street address is good), Acreage, and Nearest Smoke Sensitive area written down. SSA can be a major highway, airport, interstate, and things like that....it's really not complicated at all...if you were anywhere near Georgetown I'd come do it for you for a case of beer...
    Yep, this guy gets it. You work for the SC forestry commission?

It's dry grass, it will be over before you know it.... It burns, throws up smoke and is done as long as you have a decent break.
    cut\'em

Never been exposed to burning a piece of property and may be that, as some of you have stated, it isnt as big of a deal as I had in my head. Researched it a bit, and have a plan put together for how to approach. Spent about an hour or so yesterday putting a fire break around the part i want to burn.

This may be the only time i ever do this, so how critical is having a drip torch going to be or can i just use other means to light it? And if a drip torch is critical, any knowledge of where to rent one? Dont want to spend $200+ for a one time use...
    Last edited by gamecock1974; 01-26-2015 at 04:16 PM.

gamecocks, where are you at?

drip torch is not really necessary, but its useful.

I would also make some "flipper flappers" 8' PVC pipe with a 2ft x 2ft piece of rubber on the end.

Plow a fire break.

Pick a calmer day

Keep wind direction in mind when burning the field and use it to your advantage.
    Last edited by Murray; 01-26-2015 at 04:39 PM.

In SE lancaster county - between pageland and kershaw. Good deal on the flipper flappers. Fire break has been plowed.
    Last edited by gamecock1974; 01-26-2015 at 04:44 PM.

2 gal/min 4wheeler water tank > flappers for patrolling breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    In SE lancaster county - between pageland and kershaw. Good deal on the flipper flappers. Fire break has been plowed.
    Little too far of a drive...

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post

Indeed. Fat people get sprayers, skinny ones get flappers. I'm a flipper flapper but getting close to riding.
    Last edited by Murray; 01-26-2015 at 06:27 PM.

That's the truth!! I've always used a sprayer on a tractor and a standard garden hose on it
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Just use common sense and you will be fine.

Patrol the fire break and watch areas it doesn't need to go closely.

Yep tractor sprayer will be on the tractor and full, ready for use.

Let me know where this goes wrong.

Pasture has a slight slope. Southern end of the field is the low end. Northern end is the high end. Plan to burn when wind is light and out of the southwest. Plan to start the backfire at the northern or high end of the field. Once that gets going well then will set the sides on fire and go from there.

Seems counter intuitive to burn down the hill and into the wind but read that going up hill and with the wind will get the fire out of hand.

Only thing I am struggling with. There are 2 large gum trees and one large oak in the field. Do I put a break around the trees or just burn right up to the trunk?

7-8 acre field.
    Last edited by gamecock1974; 01-26-2015 at 09:36 PM.

You can not effectively patrol a break on foot. Unless you're burning a couple acres. I don't care how fat or skinny you are. Quick detection of a jump is the only way to contain it

Just burning the grasses the fire shouldn't get too hot to affect the trees at all. I wouldn't put a break around the trees and if it kills the gum trees, at least there's a place for the doves to light.
    Get a couple guys to help you watch the burn and you should be fine.
    Look into backburning, start at the upwind side and let it burn into the wind no matter what you do.
    rip Dakota

If it were me, I'd light my back fire and let it burn in and then walk to the center of the field just in front of the back fire and string fire right down the center of the field walking into the wind...
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Category 1, Ceiling Ht, Transportation winds, and flipper flappers are a must! All shits and giggles aside download a burning plan off SCFC website and fill out so if something happens you "had" a plan. Ring it and have fun. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

I agree with timber22

Question: What if an SC boy wants to burn his Grandfather's property for him in GA. Anybody know of their process? I already know I can't go through their burn training and expect to get any sort of certification being a nonresident.
    It's also a small piece around 10 acreas, but might would need to be done in 2 sections.
    Last edited by surfcock; 01-26-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Was going to give this burn a go this weekend, but looking at the forecast for saturday, not sure that is the day. Humidity looks good, but relatively no wind to speak of. Have nothing more to go on other than what i have read online, but am guessing i need at minimum 5-10 mph in wind so as to not create a smoke issue.... or am i not thinking of this correctly? What is ideal in terms of conditions for temp, wind, humidity, etc? Any guidance would be appreciated.

I like a 5-8mph constant wind. Keeps the fire walking, but not so fast that I get nervous.

Smoke is a concern if you are near an highway, airport, etc.

What Timberman said is probably a really good idea.

If the field is solid dead grass throughout you wont have a problem with it. Just wait for a clear day with a steady 5mph wind and burn the damn field.

Ended up burning it myself. Thanks to all who provided guidance. Glad to have that first one out of the way. Wasn't nearly as stressful as I thought it was going to be and the shit burned quick. Already started dissing it up and disc is line a warm knife through butter. Ready to burn some more shit now.

Last edited by gamecock1974; 02-01-2015 at 02:20 PM.