Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapter 11 title 50 (using dogs to hunt)

What's your point?

Just that the devil's in the details.

I agree with the law and it's merits. I just enjoy a good argument.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Seems like you're arguing with yourself, lol. Again, I'm torn on this one.

Quote Originally Posted by mdb2 View Post
    Seems like you're arguing with yourself
    Sometimes, it is the only intelligent conversation I can find.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Present company excluded, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    So, can I get my neighbor fined for their cat who comes and pisses in the bed of my truck, in my yard?

How about the dog that has a pissing contest on my mailbox with my dog?
    Per Article 12, Sub section II, property owner's son has the right to bust said cat, dog, or coon, in the ass.
    Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
    H. L. Mencken

Touché

Just that the devil's in the details.

I agree with the law and it's merits. I just enjoy a good argument.
    You're wrong!
    Very true.

Why are the dog owners always calling after the fact? Always asking forgiveness instead of permission? Were I in the shoes of an adjacent land owner I would be more receptive to a call before hand that you had intentions of hunting adjacent property and there was a possibility of the dogs crossing the line.

This way you and I would both know where we stand ahead of time and any issues can be avoided.

But you boys don't ever want to play it that way because you know what the answer will be 90% of the time. Keep your dogs off my property. So then when you do it anyway you don't have that "Aw shucks, he cain't read no signs and fences" good ol boy mantra on which to fall back.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    Okay, so if I'm coon hunting and my dog tracks a coon onto your property, you feel that you have the right to prosecute me? For instance, if the dog is on the back side of my property, out of range for me to yell at him, and he goes on your land, you should have the right to press charges on me?
    Yes. You got it. MY land. Not OUR land. Mine. As in, "stay the fuck off of it."
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Yes. You got it. MY land. Not OUR land. Mine. As in, "stay the fuck off of it."
    We had a certain celebrity fishing show host that had the same attitude you have. "Stay off my land...I'm calling the GW...You cant go get your dog. Blah blah blah." We went on his land, got our dogs and no one was prosecuted. Granted, the GW sat at the truck while we went to get our dogs but I was fine with that.

"How dare you shoot that gun on your property and noise from it comes on my property and disturbs my peace and quiet. You need to keep that noise on your property and if you can't do that, you need to stop making that noise." or "You can''t have that campfire. The smoke leaves your property and I object to it coming onto my land." or "That tractor/chainsaw/weedeater is too loud and your noise is entering my property and it must stop."

It is slippery slope when you open up and try and redefine the traditional definitions of permissible outside impacts on private property. Where does it stop. If running dogs are an impermissible impact from an adjoining property owner, who is to say that the noise of gunfire is not the next frontier of absolutisim with regarding to claims to private property rights. Not everyone shares your values and there is no way to know if your new neighbor might not object the things you currently do on your property which bleed over on to his property in various ways.

The traditional boundaries with regard to outside impacts have been established through interactions between adjoining landowners over hundreds of years. All I ask is that consider the unintended consequences of your demands for change and think about what might happen if you get what you want with dogs and how it might strengthen the case of someone who wants to stop you from doing something you enjoy which has impacts on property beyond your property lines. You can win the battle and lose the war, if you do not look at all the possible long range consequence of your attempt to satisfy your current desires.
    Last edited by Salt Marsh; 01-15-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    The only good thing about my imperfections is the joy they bring my friends.

Beware the man with one gun...he probably has other faults also.

With McGill gone, there may be a new dynamic. A freshman legislator throwing a live hand grenade into the general assembly.

Of course I love the smell of fresh napalm in the morning.
    Watch the clip, till the end.

Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

What ever happened to real men taking care of their own problems. Has SSS gone the way of the Carolina Parakeet? I swear this country was a better place when real mean solved their own problems without having to run to a legislator.

I can't count the number of dogs I've killed...excuse me..."put down". I've killed them with the bow, rifles, shotgun and even killed one once with a pellet rifle. One shot 'tween the eyes dropped him like a hog. My dad and I killed 6 out of 9 one night with the shotguns before they could get away. They were killing our meat rabbits. Mom was standing beside us cheering. Some of the most fun I've ever had with a shotgun. Dogs were running ever which way and we were rolling their asses. Solved that problem.

And I love a good obedient dog as much as the next man. But if yours isn't obedient (meaning you can't control it) and it screws up around me I'll shoot it as quick as I'll shoot a 150" buck. Lose a few dogs and you'll either play by the rules that are the cornerstone of this country, private property. Or you'll go broke buying dogs.
    Last edited by Mergie Master; 01-15-2015 at 05:38 PM.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

And Glenn don't dog hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Salt Marsh View Post
    "How dare you shoot that gun on your property and noise from it comes on my property and disturbs my peace and quiet. You need to keep that noise on your property and if you can't do that, you need to stop making that noise." or "You can''t have that campfire. The smoke leaves your property and I object to it coming onto my land." or "That tractor/chainsaw/weedeater is too loud and your noise is entering my property and it must stop."

It is slippery slope when you open up and try and redefine the traditional definitions of permissible outside impacts on private property. Where does it stop. If running dogs are an impermissible impact from an adjoining property owner, who is to say that the noise of gunfire is not the next frontier of absolutisim with regarding to claims to private property rights. Not everyone shares your values and there is no way to know if your new neighbor might not object the things you currently do on your property which bleed over on to his property in various ways.

The traditional boundaries with regard to outside impacts have been established through interactions between adjoining landowners over hundreds of years. All I ask is that consider the unintended consequences of your demands for change and think about what might happen if you get what you want with dogs and how it might strengthen the case of someone who wants to stop you from doing something you enjoy which has impacts on property beyond your property lines. You can win the battle and lose the war, if you do not look at all the possible long range consequence of your attempt to satisfy your current desires.

great post

we hunt 3700 acres in 1 block, gps collars and regular tracking collars, small to medium dogs and even though we make every effort to stop it , we still have dogs get off of our club.
    How much land does it take to keep a dog on the property?
    I'll give you a clue- Francis Marion national forest isn't big enough and it's 250k acres.

this bill is about stopping deer hunting with dogs- end of story.

For once, I agree with Merg. Law or not, shoot a few of those mutts and they'll quit turnin em out.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    For once, I agree with Merg. Law or not, shoot a few of those mutts and they'll quit turnin em out.....

big talk- what you gonna do when they shoot YOUR dog?
    every dog trespasses on someone's property at some time- hunting, on a walk, jump out of the truck when you stop, etc.
    I guess we should just shoot em all.

Jump out of the truck when you stop? Seriously? I guess you're one of those folks that let your dog ride around in the back of the truck unleashed so they can jump in front of an oncoming car at 60 mph?

I train my dogs. They come when I call em.

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Jump out of the truck when you stop? Seriously? I guess you're one of those folks that let your dog ride around in the back of the truck unleashed so they can jump in front of an oncoming car at 60 mph?

I train my dogs. They come when I call em.

so do I and so does mine- no problems.- only the grandkids ride in the back of the truck un leashed