Thread: hunting in city limits

Default hunting in city limits

Is it legal to hunt in the city limits with any type of firearm? Is discharge of a firearm regulated by each municipality?

Dnr regs do wonders.
    Last edited by Stumpknocker; 12-19-2014 at 12:43 PM.

Well maybe my neighbor will read them. Dnr agent lives about 200 yards from stand. Hunter sits it multiple times. Dnr. Says it is legal.

Check your city ordinances.

Sumter or Pinewood?

If you are within 300 yards of a residence then you should adhere to the DNR regulations.

No

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Wouldn't a firearm ordinance inside city limits trump DNR hunting regs?

Chicken or the egg kind of thing.

Gotta connect the dots....

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    If you are within 300 yards of a residence then you should adhere to the DNR regulations.
    DNR hunting distance regulations don't exists for the actual landowner. It's completely legal to hunt on your own property unless an ordinance exists. Sounds like your town doesn't have one.
    Windows Down!

Check your town ordnance. Most will have a law against discharging a firearm in the city limits. I know ours does. Our ordnance also includes bows and pellet/bb rifles. So go to your local PD and check. The City Ordinance will supersede the DNR Regs inside the town limit. You won't get in trouble for the hunting, but I can almost guarantee you will go to jail and they will take your firearm inside the city limits if you discharge a firearm.

If you have an ordinance against discharging a firearm he won't get in trouble until he actually fires the weapon.
    Last edited by Fireman; 12-19-2014 at 03:36 PM.

Call the cops, make sure your dog is put out of sight

Is your neighbor's hunting creating a problem for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Is your neighbor's hunting creating a problem for you?
    Yea, he's cutting the deer off before they get to his stand. Duh
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Check your town ordnance. Most will have a law against discharging a firearm in the city limits. I know ours does. Our ordnance also includes bows and pellet/bb rifles. So go to your local PD and check. The City Ordinance will supersede the DNR Regs inside the town limit. You won't get in trouble for the hunting, but I can almost guarantee you will go to jail and they will take your firearm inside the city limits if you discharge a firearm.

If you have an ordinance against discharging a firearm he won't get in trouble until he actually fires the weapon.

I agree, it has been years ago and I can not recall if it was Williamston or Pelzer/W Pelzer where a buddy of mine lived. He had an archery target sat up in his back yard and no danger to anyone and really nobody lived behind him at all. One day an officer stopped while he was in the back yard shooting and told him he could not discharge a weapon within the city limits. Seems some old lady had called and told them he was "hunting". He was dumbfounded but it was the town ordinance so he cooperated

He had no idea

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    I agree, it has been years ago and I can not recall if it was Williamston or Pelzer/W Pelzer where a buddy of mine lived. He had an archery target sat up in his back yard and no danger to anyone and really nobody lived behind him at all. One day an officer stopped while he was in the back yard shooting and told him he could not discharge a weapon within the city limits. Seems some old lady had called and told them he was "hunting". He was dumbfounded but it was the town ordinance so he cooperated

He had no idea
    tprice,

I talked to the Anderson City PD yesterday and after being transferred to three people was told by a woman (I failed to clarify her name and position) that it was illegal to bow hunt within city limits. There's no question that the discharge of a firearm is illegal. She could not tell me which ordinance specified it, though.

So I called and talked to the City Planner and he told me that you could bow hunt in season on your own property, or if you had the permission of the land owner, and met the legal limits from occupied residences.

This is a good example of one department not being on the same page as another one.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'