Thread: 2014 Missouri Deerahs

Default 2014 Missouri Deerahs

Last week we made the annual pilgrimage to Missouri to chase fat dumb bucks with the bow. I really shouldn't call them dumb, as they've seemed to cut our ass since college. That shit changed a little this week.

Saturday the 8th we got to our property around breakfast, got our stuff together and sat the afternoon. I was the only one of four to see a shooter, but he was chasin and wasn't playing nice.

All four of us sat all day from Sunday until Wednesday and we probably didn't see 25 deer among all of us. It was slow and the weather was absolutely shit everyday. The highest temp all week was 38. Lows around 10 is absolute bullshit to sit in all day.

Thursday the deer started move a little more and the action picked up. I got a text that DDS and another guy had both shot bucks and were going to give them a little bit before searching. I decided to tough it out and stayed in the tree.

About 4pm I looked up and this buck was 25 yds coming straight at me. He stopped behind a cedar at 8 yds and acted like he knew something was up. I decided to let it eat, but had to shoot through the tree. I knew I wasn't going to be able to put it perfectly on him, but at that distance it should be good enough. Shot was 2-3" from what would be perfect, but it looked good enough.

I got a little too excited and didn't give him enough time. We went in and bumped him after about an hour. We decided to pull back out and come back the next day. Once we got back on him, it took about 20-25 mins to track right to him. He went another 3-400yds and piled up in the ditch.

My best buck to date with the bow. Really nice wide 8. 20.5" inside and green scores ~135"

This buck is one my cousin killed on opening morning of gun season. He hunted a total of 15 mins all week. Really cool 10 we had on camera.

Where's the other 2 ones shot before u shot urs

dammit boy. congrats!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Invite him inside for a tall cool glass of die mother fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Where's the other 2 ones shot before u shot urs
    This is one of them. The 9 degree temp caused him to tap out early.
    The other one was a gut shot that we trailed close a mile before we lost him.

Last edited by lil 2 sleepy; 11-20-2014 at 06:35 PM.

Damn you made him look stupid

Very nice Ethan

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Very Nice! I need to get out of state after a big whitetail.

Awesome hunt right there!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Congrats!!
    More fuel = more boost!!

Those deer look like they might be some kin.

Most all deer in this area have the same genetics and racks. We had 4-10s that looked almost identical to the one that we killed. It's actually pretty cool to see the changes in specific deer each year.

I like your 8 better than that 10. Those 2s are studly. How long?
    Carolina Counsel