Thread: Doves in a cut hay field

Default Doves in a cut hay field

My buddy has about a 70 acre field at the end of a dirt road and a locked gate going into the field. He doesn't hunt and offered it up for me, a friend and my son to shoot clays about a week ago. It is only used to grow hay and nothing else. The field was mowed and big rolls of hay were around it. When we unlocked the gate and drove in, I saw probably 10-15 doves get up and fly out of a back corner, this was about 1pm. Then, while we were slinging and busting clays, I saw several doves crossing the field within shooting distance. Then about an hour before dark, more flew over and perched in some old dead trees on a ditch that runs thru the middle of it with a few inches of water in it. I am thinking about taking my dove stool and getting in that ditch but was wondering what they were eating in the cut hay field or what attracted them there. Would the morning be as good as the evening?
    Last edited by ecu1984; 12-28-2014 at 07:19 PM.

My family property has a grass field that our neighbor cuts for his donkeys and after he cuts it we get some birds. Having a power line that runs right down the middle doesn't hurt either. If you open up a doves craw you will see that a lot of them find natural seed, not just sunflowers, corn, or browntop

I don't know if that was a fluke day or what but we are going to sit it for a few hrs this week.

I have always had better luck in the evening on a hay field. Is the road that leads to it strictly dirt or does it have any gravel?
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

It is a short road but does have some gravel. I was thinking the water running through the middle of it was a plus.

I heard if you put some wheat and cracked corn out in the hay field, the doves would like it too.

3rd season birds are alot different than the other splits
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

How did you do?
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1