Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boykin spaniel

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I know that labs are pretty much the standard for duck hunting. I have owned labs my whole life and am wanting a change. I have put a lot of thought into different dogs and am looking for everyone's opinions on a boykin spaniel. Furthermore do they have trouble handling larger ducks and so on. What are the pros and cons. Let me hear them.

Also would like to add that I am open to other suggestions and reasons to chose that breed.
    They can handle ducks, but although their legs move fast, they are extremely sloooow.

My brothers Boykin catches squirrels and flying doves. It's only slow in shallow water with weeds etc growing in it.

I'm sure, but while they look fast with all that movement, they are not (relative to other dogs).

Thanks everyone for the advice still trying to make a decision. Have a 5 year old lab with some ability but needs to be trained heavy. I'm trying to decide wether to send him to someone or start from scratch and send that dog.

You can teach an old dog new tricks but how long will you get out of your old boy. I would keep the 5 year old as a companion and get a puppy, that way you can get more return on your investment. Hopefully many, many successful hunting seasons.