Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 270 and corelok 130 grain

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    I have shot core lokts for about 20 years now, for good shots deer never made it past 30 yards. I shoot 150 grain now in .270 and 7mm
    Same here... In .270
    Quote Originally Posted by c-dub View Post
    If it works, why change?
    My sentiments as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    cause eventually your luck will run out.
    Not saying it won't.... Perfectly aware of the ramifications of my being cheap.

With as much time and money that is invested in your hunt, why skimp on what is likely the cheapest part, the bullet?

I have Remington soft points in the green and yellow box that out perform those high $ shells. Get what works best in your gun.

But in agreement with Walt4dun, don't skimp if that is what it takes to make it work.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    I have Remington soft points in the green and yellow box that out perform those high $ shells. Get what works best in your gun.
    And my primary justification for using said round... Grouping is hard to argue with.

I shot the core lokt for a while in my 270. Killed plenty of deer with it. Seemed at past 100 yards it did its job well but anything under it did not seem to expanded well. I lost a big 9 point that I shot at around 70 yards. Found him a couple days later after a friend said that the adjoining property owner smelled something. Looked at the wound channel and the bullet did not look like it expanded, just went straight through like a FMJ.

After that I switched to Sierra GameKings that were federal loaded. Got into reloading and reloaded them for a while. Now I shoot 130 Barnes TTSX with awesome results.

Some people have never had trouble with core lokts and love them. Nothing wrong with that but I decided to switch to premium bullets so that I could be ready when everything went wrong rather than being ready for when everything was right. Shot placement and not taking risky shots is the best way to prevent loss deer, but a premium bullet helps make up for a little error. Good luck!

Sent from the Strut Zone
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Hornady 130 grain SST. Let several people shoot my rifle with that load and not one has run.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Was it low light? It may have been quartering towards you.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    I shot the core lokt for a while in my 270. Killed plenty of deer with it. 100 yards it did its job well but anything under it did not seem to expanded well.

Sent from the Strut Zone
    Not logical. I have heard that before. ....that a bullet was going to fast to expand. No offense but BALONEY. The bullet may have fragmented but more speed does not equal less expansion. Just retire that old mindset. It was something else.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I've never had to look for a deer beyond 40 yds. CL's are what my Dad shot, what I've shot and honestly, between the two of us, there have been a pile killed with that bullet.

I have a couple hundred rounds of hand loads someone tooled up for me, but I pick up the core locks every time. It isnt about cost, it's about effectiveness. Up until now, I've had no reason to doubt the round, and since the shot was over my left shoulder, and me being left handed, I'm not so sure it wasnt round over the shot placement.

I also shoot Kents. Everybody says they are cheap shells, prone to water logging. I havent seen that either. Ever, and I go through a pile of them.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by CWPINST View Post
    Not logical. I have heard that before. ....that a bullet was going to fast to expand. No offense but BALONEY. The bullet may have fragmented but more speed does not equal less expansion. Just retire that old mindset. It was something else.
    yup. The laws of physics wont allow such things

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I also shoot Kents. Everybody says they are cheap shells, prone to water logging. I havent seen that either. Ever, and I go through a pile of them.
    In all seriousness I believe that kents are the best production steel shell on the market. Consistent patterns in almost all make/models of shotguns. enough speed with a decent size payload make a lethal shell. Sure they are not as waterproof as some but if you are submerging you shells on the regular then you ought to reconsider the style of hunting you do. I'll burn a few cases of kents this year.
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Corelokt, not a preminum bullet, will do the trick if your shot placment it correct. Even your best bullets, Barnes-TTSX, SGK, and etc. suck if you put them in the wrong place.

I have shot many of deer with them and would not hesitate to put 150 grain through my old tang safey Ruger 270.

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    I shot the core lokt for a while in my 270. Killed plenty of deer with it. 100 yards it did its job well but anything under it did not seem to expanded well.

Sent from the Strut Zone

Oops double phone tap.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 10-31-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Do not recall saying it had anything to do with speed. For all I know there could have been an issue with the lot from the factory. Actually if they are not expanding correctly it would probably have less speed, so a low charge or something. You are more than welcome to disagree with me but do not put words into my mouth. I do not know why I had the issue I had with them.

Sent from the Strut Zone
    Last edited by davisd9; 10-31-2014 at 12:17 PM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Was it low light? It may have been quartering towards you.
    No I had good light. 740 am which is right around legal sunrise where I hunt. He was definitely quartering away.

Just zeroed in a 150 grain Fusion. Maybe I'll kill one this evening and know something more.
    Go Tigers!!!

Somebody asked for a picture of the lead.

Go Tigers!!!

I've had a leverevolution 30 30 fail to open and a 25 06 120 grain fusion fail to open.
    the standard Winchester 30 30 always works and the core loct 25 06 has not failed me yet.
    I reloaded 30 06 150gr sierra game kings for years and was greatly pleased with accuracy and on game performance.

Wait aren't fusion the cheapest of the cheap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”

I switched to hornady american whitetails in 130gr from core lokts i like them group alot tighter in my gun and never had a deer move after being hit by one

Quote Originally Posted by clembo3 View Post
    Wait aren't fusion the cheapest of the cheap?

I said before. I am no ammo guru nor am I a deer hunter by any means. That being said, I paid more for fusion then the coreloks.
    Go Tigers!!!

Oh okay. It was as much a question as a statement. I bought some fusions from shooters choice (I'll never go back) because they were the cheapest but Idk if they even sell the core lokt

“To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”