Thread: Newer line of Weaver Tactical scopes...

Default Newer line of Weaver Tactical scopes...

Anybody have any input? I like that they have FFP reticles. But optics quality and strong repeatability on click values/ruggedness are high on my like list now.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

I had a Tactical 3X15X50 Ill EMDR. That thing was build like a sledgehammer and the glass was pretty good. For me, the reticle was too busy for hunting applications, the illumination lit the entire reticle and was pretty bright even at low setting. Repeatibility wasn't a problem but, the turrets had some play in them.

Overall for the price I paid for it, it was a good scope for general shooting. The things I listed with the illumination and reticle made it a bit much for hunting IMO. One thing is for sure, if you left the hammer in the truck and needed to beat something, you could take it off, use it as a hammer and put it back on without worrying you'd messed anything up. I think I paid $745.00 for it at Glenn's Outdoors in Minnesota.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 11-13-2014 at 01:50 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

My next scope will be the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 with the IHR 3 post reticle. Going to put it on my 700VS .308.

I have squirreled away the money and looked at most scopes in the less than $1500 range.. Thought about a Trijicon , but once I looked through one, it made the choice easier..
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I wrote Weaver off years ago until, on advice from someone on this site, I bought a Grand Slam model for a 17HMR. I have to say it is a very nice scope. The adjustments are very reliable with little or no backlash. It's brighter at dusk than my old Leupold vari-xIII even at higher magnification. Weaver is back on my list of good scope makers.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    ... the illumination lit the entire reticle and was pretty bright even at low setting ...
    Deal killer for me. I like the "dull blood red glow" I can get from my Leupold VX-3L and NightForce optics.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    My next scope will be the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 with the IHR 3 post reticle...
    That should be a good rig. I'm trying to get my brother to get the 4-16x50mm SHV for one of his rigs. It'll be interesting to see if NightForce comes out with a line of scopes a little lower in magnification and size in the SHV line (sort of closer to the compact NXS line) - I'd like to see a NF SHV 2.5-10x50mm, maybe with lower profile knobs.

Quote Originally Posted by nitro5x6's View Post
    My next scope will be the Nightforce SHV 5-20x56 with the IHR 3 post reticle. Going to put it on my 700VS .308.

I have squirreled away the money and looked at most scopes in the less than $1500 range.. Thought about a Trijicon , but once I looked through one, it made the choice easier..
    What made you decide against the trijicon? What model and reticle did you look through? I have a 4-16 shv and 2.5-10 accupoint. To me the glass seems equal.

Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 with G2 Reticle.Nothing in its price range is ever close.
    It is second most popular scope on the PRS circuit behind the S&B. The team that won the DM series I shot were from 3rd Group, and had just won the International Sniper Challenge at Ft Benning. Both were using the Bushnell. The 3 rd place team took 4 th at Benning, and they were also using the DMR's

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    Bushnell DMR 3.5-21 with G2 Reticle.Nothing in its price range is ever close.
    Interesting looking glass! I'll have to check one out. The only thing my old eyes wish it had was some form of illumination (but that would drive the price up). Still, as compact as it is, it would be an interesting scope to pair with a Savage Model 10 Precision Carbine ... or even on an accuracy-centered AR-15 for shooting at varmints across open spaces.

You can get illumination, but it does add to the price.

I've had good luck so far with my Millett TRS-1. You're more than welcome to try mine out if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    You can get illumination, but it does add to the price.
    I was SWFA's site looking. I need to dig deeper.

You can get the non illuminated for between $900-1000.
    If you dont need 21x magnification you can get a 3-12 x 44 with the G2 Reticle for about $6-700. I have one on my AR-15 precision upper. Ive used it in matches out to 600. I have no problem hitting 1.5-2 MOA steel with it using match ammo.

Glass and mechanical quality the same across the board on those Tactical series scopes?

I was looking at a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 for my precision AR - this may be a better option. Still want FFP.

The Vortex scopes are good, their best glass and features are in the Razor line.
    I have 3 of the Elite Tactical scopes. 3-12 x 44 on an AR-15, a 6-24 x 50 on a 700 5r, and 3-21 x 50 DMR on my AR10. All have the G2 reticle. The DMR has better adjustment knobs, other than that they are all similar to my eye. I've used the 3-12 and DMR in matches shooting 1-2 MOA targets out to 600 yds. Glass is good, adjustments are precise and the reticle is very easy to use. I used the 6-24 at a PRS match a couple of months ago. We shot eggs at 235 yds and steel out to 900. Scope performed fine.