Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Dumb" Welding Question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Dumb" Welding Question

Got thinking about some repairs I need to get to work on and might be 'thinking too hard', but figured I'd take the chance of taking some chit and ask it anyway.

I need to weld/re-weld some of the joints on the bush hog. Is it 'OK' to keep it connected to the tractor or would the arc amps damage any of the electrical controls? Etc?

I'm thinking I need to separate the bush hog/attachment from the tractor so as to avoid any undue damage. Yes? No?

I just never thought about the question before because each time my neighbor and I have rebuilt the body we've taken it over to the shop he runs so it was never an issue. These repairs don't warrant that kind of effort.

Thanks.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 10-30-2014 at 10:45 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

If you are worried about it, just unhook the battery.

If it is old tractor prior to 2000 I would think it would be ok. Anything newer unhook it. Biggest thing, does if have a computer running it? If so unhook it. If not you are good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by swampshooter View Post
    If it is old tractor prior to 2000 I would think it would be ok. Anything newer unhook it. Biggest thing, does if have a computer running it? If so unhook it. If not you are good to go.
    It's a '94 Kubota B2150, so there's no computer.

I kept telling myself it should be fine, but since I figured I'd be running probably 100+ amps or so on the welder it might be more than some of the relays liked seeing. Just never thought about it before.

Thanks.
    ~ George Washington

Not trying to be smart but you really already answered your question. If it were me I would unhook it. Rather be safe than sorry.
    Non Supporting Member

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    It's a '94 Kubota B2150, so there's no computer.

I kept telling myself it should be fine, but since I figured I'd be running probably 100+ amps or so on the welder it might be more than some of the relays liked seeing. Just never thought about it before.

Thanks.
    We weld on our implements and the tractor itself, no need to unhook battery but if you wanna be safe go for it. The tractor is not grounded, the ground clamp is what grounds it. Electricity follows path of least resistance. Computers cause an issue because they cannot handle ANY surge.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    Either drop the implement or disconnect a battery terminal, you took more time typing out this post than you could have spent by doing both options. I usually unhook the battery terminal on my truck when I fixed some exhaust leaks, it ain't a big deal. As long as you don't weld on the bush hog and ground the welder on the alternator or something you really shouldn't have to worry.
    LOL... well, since I won't get a chance to do the work until 'maybe' this weekend, my typing isn't taking any time away from doing it.

And, no, I wouldn't dream of clamping the ground to the alternator or something stupid like that. I've been around the block a time or two, but I can imagine that someone out there has probably done it before.

We weld on our implements and the tractor itself, no need to unhook battery but if you wanna be safe go for it. The tractor is not grounded, the ground clamp is what grounds it. Electricity follows path of least resistance. Computers cause an issue because they cannot handle ANY surge.
    I usually set the ground clamp within a few feet of where I'm welding so as to minimize any 'meandering' of the current, but you just never know, I guess.

Thanks for the verification, guys. I've had enough 'aw shit' projects this past year that I figured I'd better double check...

~ George Washington

If you're welding on the implement and put the ground clamp on the implement, it shouldn't be a problem. As long as the tractor isn't in the circuit, it won't know you're welding.

Either drop the implement or disconnect a battery terminal, you took more time typing out this post than you could have spent by doing both options. I usually unhook the battery terminal on my truck when I fixed some exhaust leaks, it ain't a big deal. As long as you don't weld on the bush hog and ground the welder on the alternator or something you really shouldn't have to worry.

How do you make the little guy hitting is head on the brick wall?

Quote Originally Posted by Steelin' Ducks View Post
    How do you make the little guy hitting is head on the brick wall?
    It's as easy as... 'Measure twice... cut three times...' ...
    ~ George Washington

Like this...

: banghead : only squeeze it all together.

Never mind you missed my point.

Unhook it. If you have a loose or poor ground connection you could cause stray current to go into the tractor, this stray current can cause damage to bearings and other parts as well as electrical systems.

Quote Originally Posted by tractor View Post
    Unhook it. If you have a loose or poor ground connection you could cause stray current to go into the tractor, this stray current can cause damage to bearings and other parts as well as electrical systems.
    Yeah, what the heck. I'll just block it up and disconnect and hope I don't have to reposition it. With my recent luck I'd somehow manage to trip as I'm welding and knock the ground clamp off the back of the bush hog with the arc still touching... ouch!

~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by tractor View Post
    ? really Ima call bull shit on this. Do you understand how electricity works? bearings? lmfao

? really Ima call bull shit on this. Do you understand how electricity works? bearings? lmfao
    In the bearing industry we refer to it as Electrical Erosion.Please see 5.4 on the SKF * Bearing Damage Chart (ISO Failure Mode Classification)
    Carry on Tractor

* registered trademark.
    Last edited by HARV; 10-29-2014 at 12:12 PM.
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

Quote Originally Posted by HARV View Post
    In the bearing industry we refer to it as Electrical Erosion.Please see 5.4 on the SKF * Bearing Damage Chart (ISO Failure Mode Classification)
    Carry on Tractor

* registered trademark.
    Ok, but how is a tractor grounded? It's on rubber tires, meaning the only other ground it could catch would be through the implement being on the ground. In which case it would still not damage the tractor bearings because electricity follows the path of least resistance. Electrical erosion typically comes from an electrical leak through the bearing over time, unless someone tries to weld on an axle shaft and grounds the housing to do so. Thus, causing the bearing to carry current.