Thread: John Deere PTO help

Default John Deere PTO help

I have a John Deere 1070 tractor. When using a bushhog or running a tiller, the PTO keeps jumping out of gear. Doesnt matter if the tractor is under a load or just light duty work, it randomly jumps out of gear. What could be causing this and what can I do to fix it?

PTO clutch is probably out of adjustment. If I recall right this tractor is known for having clutch wear problems and PTO issues related to the clutch.

Quick look up on the web.

If the transmision clutch is still working OK, it is possible but not easy to adjust the pto clutch without splitting the tractor. If you remove the shield on the right side of the clutch housing, you will see a screen on the side of the clutch housing that is held on by two bolts. Remove the screen and you can reach in thru the hole to adjust pto bolts. There are three bolts. Rotate the flywheel until each one is visible in the hole. You will need two 14 mm wrenches. Loosen the jam nut and turn the bolt in until there is .060" clearance between the head of the bolt and the clutch plate. This distance gets larger as the transmission clutch wears. Be sure to adjust all three evenly and retighten the jam nuts.
    Last edited by Smilee; 08-13-2014 at 08:29 AM.

if its jumping out of gear either its not fully engaging or the splines or dentents are worn