Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pre/post workout supplements?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pre/post workout supplements?

Just wondering who is using them, what kind and what type of results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I've used a good many pre-workout supplements. It all depends on what I'm doing. I've gone through plenty of tubs of C4 and like it fine although I tend to build a tolerance to it pretty quick. It depends a lot on what you're looking from from the product, be it pump, energy, focus (all the above).

As for post workout, I normally go with a scoop of whatever whey i have laying around with a scoop of cytocarb mixed in. Then end up eating dinner about 45 min to an hour later.

BCAA's for during or after, Coffee, if you must, pre workout. The pre workout supps on the shelves are really bad for you.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    BCAA's for during or after, Coffee, if you must, pre workout. The pre workout supps on the shelves are really bad for you.

I try to tell this to all my friends that take them but they rrefuse to listen
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

C4
    Low country redneck who moved north

1/2 apple, 1/2 banana, orange and a few bites of fage yogurt 30 minutes before. And a healthy dose of biggie smalls or Metallica on the ride to the gym!

I build up a tolerance and almost dependent on the pre pump stuff! I am a big fan of just creatine monohydrate. Clean diet and a scoop of creatine and lift.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

In the past I've used C4, but I haven't in quite some time. I go with coffee with a little creatine and a handful of something with a high fat content before hand like cashews or peanut butter. Used to use BCAA's during the workout as well and have since stopped. High quality protein postworkout.

I've seen more strength gains by cutting out the GNC bull crap and fueling my body with proper nutrition on a daily basis. The good Lord made everything you need and it doesn't have to be blended in a shaker bottle.

Cellucor C4 Extreme pre-workout, shit gets you jacked up and has creatine. Provides a good pump. 2 scoop protein shake afterwards with BCAA's.
    "Fun hipster shit is just poor Latino shit from 10 years ago"

Have any of you ever read the ingredients on the back of this c4 you're taking? Proprietary blends big enough to confuse a chemist and jump start a train. Not to mention the massive amounts of sugar and additives.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Have any of you ever read the ingredients on the back of this c4 you're taking? Proprietary blends big enough to confuse a chemist and jump start a train. Not to mention the massive amounts of sugar and additives.
    Not entirely disagreeing with this, but there's almost no sugar. 1g/scoop

The rest of the label is:

vitamin c: 250 mg
    Calcium: 22 mg
    Niacin: 30 mg
    Folic Acid: 250 mcg
    vitamin b12: 35 mcg

all things you find in a daily multivitamin (efficacy or need debatable, but not harmful regardless)

Beta Alanine: 1500 mg (naturally occurring amino acid)

Creatine Nitrate: 1000 mg. Creatine with nitrate group (claimed greater bioavailability and more "pump" due to enhanced NO distribution)

Arginine AKG: 1000 mg. A salt of the amino acid arginine. No proven clinical effect on nitric oxide levels in muscles, but does increase arginine blood levels.

Nothing too harmful here either it appears

"Explosive Energy Blend"
    Some combination of Vitamin C:
    N-Acetyl-L-Tyrosine:
    Caffeine: 135 mg (95 per cup of coffee)
    Mucuna Pruriens: supposed to be a precursor to l-dopa (marketing)
    Bitter orange extract: synephrine 30% is a stimulant naturally found in all citrus plants
    Niacinamide: Vitamin B3
    Folate:
    Pyridoxal 5-Phosphate: B6
    Vitamin B12:

The only thing here that's really outside of normal is an unknown amount of synephrine.

In my experience as supplements get more popular (and C4 is wildly popular) the ingredients that got them their popularity to begin with have been taken out.

When C4 was first introduced it contained 1,3-Dimethylamylamine, which is a crazy strong amphetamine like stimulant. Supplement companies aren't subject to the stringent testing of the FDA, and as such can put whatever they want on their labels.

There are some people that are very clearly in the "eat what god made" camp and that's all you need, but some people like to take supplements, to each their own I suppose.

135mg of caffeine per scoop, most people use 1 scoop for about two days then go to two scoops, a whopping 270mgs of caffeine.

You were right about the sugar, that is much lower than most. I do tend to ride the natural bandwagon more often than not. But the caffeine should be alarming to anyone.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 10-22-2014 at 09:17 AM.

Yeah, if that was all the caffeine you had in a day that might not be so bad, but for people that work out in the afternoon and have coffee in the morning, you'd be looking at a good amount of caffeine through the day. A cup of coffee is also 6 oz, not 8 oz which is a normal cup. All about dosing.

135mg of caffeine per scoop is the equal to 3.970588235 cans of Coca-Cola
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Ok here is what I'll tell you. Yes it is bad for you, just like drinking, bacon, and all other things great in our lives. I have been on and off supplements, (pre workout, amino acids, and protein, multivitamins) for a couple years now. I'll tell you this, I happen to love preworkout. Do NOT go with C4. I had it, worked awesome for two weeks, but got used to it super fast. I was at 2-2.5 scoops and still couldn't feel anything so I quit it because yes, I'd rather not have my heart explode. Muscle Pharm makes quality product, and Complete Nutrition sells a preworkout called TAZE that I really like. The key to all of it is WATER.

WATER WATER WATER. If you aren't hydrating, then all these supplements aren't flowing out of your body correctly. That is when it is truly bad for you.

But then again everyone's body is different and will react to different supplements differently. That being said, I use the Muscle Pharm stack of Pre workout, amino acids, and protein.

I take the preworkout as I head out the door to the gym and when I get back I drink the amino acids for muscle rebuilding. The protein really doesn't matter when you take it. I take it as a meal filler, like with dinner or half a shake with breakfast. I've seen great results with that. Hope this helps.

Thanks fellas hard to find Decent informational thread around this place anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Roddie View Post
    SCducks is not checkers, it's chess.

I've taken some of that shit in the past. If you think the feeling you get after taking it is natural, then proceed. I've given up on the fact that I'm going to put on very much muscle in my life. Not in the cards for me. I can't see the potential consequences of that shit that is very untested being worth a 10-15% more "gains". Grab your sack and work out hard. Hard work doesn't come in a bottle.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Gnar pump
    That or dianabol and test, either way up to you
    "Lord prop me up in all my leanin places"

Quote Originally Posted by squatty View Post
    I just like saying Dik Dik

^^^
    This

And you gotta eat to put on muscle. Carbs included.

Quote Originally Posted by sbendziewi3 View Post
    ^^^
    This

And you gotta eat to put on muscle. Carbs included.
    Are you referencing the above mentioned steroid?