Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The one that got away last Sunday

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The one that got away last Sunday

Stuck one last Sunday afternoon, hit him high but still had good blood. Gave him bout 30 mins and got the dog even though the arrow was covered and had great blood (wanted him to get the practice). Bumped him at bout 60 yards. Went home and ate supper and came back bout 2.5 hrs later. Dog trailed I'm another 80 yards and bumped him again, but where the deer went I kinda knew exactly where he would stop. Planned on coming back after I got everyone started the next morning, but everyone knows how Monday's go. Tied up all week and finally got back over to the farm to look for him, which only took bout 5 mins. Found him bout 50 yards from the last place the dog bumped him, he had made it to the ditch and couldn't get out of it. Hate that the meat got wasted, but I didn't want to risk bumping him again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    scducks c/o2010

9pt 16.5 inside

scducks c/o2010

Good deer. Sucks when that happens.
    piss on china, the country and the dishes. I can stack dishes any where, instruments of death deserve a special place.

I usually try to leave them 4-5 hours on marginal shots. A week is a different strategy.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I usually try to leave them 4-5 hours on marginal shots. A week is a different strategy.
    Indeed!
    "The bird possesses a remarkable ability to turn arrogance into hopelessness." - Tom Kelly

"Some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters." - Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail Widowmaker View Post
    Indeed!
    only gave him 2.5 after bumping him once??

Quote Originally Posted by SwatEm View Post
    only gave him 2.5 after bumping him once??

With the blood I had figured that was sufficient.

scducks c/o2010

Quote Originally Posted by Whitetail Widowmaker View Post
    Indeed!

I agree with you completely but my hours this time of year allow very little hunting of looking for deer, and I don't really care to take the rifle or this deer and one bigger would have been dead weeks ago. I would have loved to have gone back after midnight and found him. The bottom line is that I rushed a low light chip shot, hit him high and back or I would have had tenderloin on the grill!

scducks c/o2010

I run a welding shop and am manager of a peanut buying station. I am working 90+hrs this time of the year, rain is the only thing that frees me up this time of year. That is the only reason I wasn't there at 1am Monday morning.

scducks c/o2010

Quote Originally Posted by duckjunkie85 View Post
    I run a welding shop and am manager of a peanut buying station. I am working 90+hrs this time of the year, rain is the only thing that frees me up this time of year. That is the only reason I wasn't there at 1am Monday morning.

And the reason I only gave him 2.5hrs

scducks c/o2010

That's why I don't bow hunt. I have a hard enough time killing them with the rifle.

Rifle hunting got where it wasn't a challenge anymore.

scducks c/o2010

Depends on what you are shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Depends on what you are shooting.
    I could hunt twelve hours a day on my farms and I wouldn't kill your caliber of deer...they just simply aren't there...a great deer here is 130

If you did not have the time to look for the deer after a bad shot, you shouldn't have hunted that day. Stuff like this pisses me off. You should always try everything within your power to recover your deer. Enjoy your horns.
    Gun control means using both hands!<br />They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hand.

Quote Originally Posted by DEERSTLKR View Post
    If you did not have the time to look for the deer after a bad shot, you shouldn't have hunted that day. Stuff like this pisses me off. You should always try everything within your power to recover your deer. Enjoy your horns.
    Mean to tell me you haven't one time have gone hunting before you had something you had to do?

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat8991 View Post
    Mean to tell me you haven't one time have gone hunting before you had something you had to do?
    It doesn't matter if you have something to do or not. You make time to look. You can always sacrifice sleep. This deer lost his life for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by L C Hillbilly View Post
    It doesn't matter if you have something to do or not. You make time to look. You can always sacrifice sleep. This deer lost his life for nothing.
    Shit happens he looked for it it gave it time. If you wanna talk about that then maybe we all should stop driving. How many deer get hit and meat goes to east. Its a deer it happens. Ive had it happen and I know pleny other cases. But saying he shouldn't of went hunting because he had to work the next day is dumb.

Shit happens he looked for it it gave it time. If you wanna talk about that then maybe we all should stop driving. How many deer get hit and meat goes to east. Its a deer it happens. Ive had it happen and I know pleny other cases. But saying he shouldn't of went hunting because he had to work the next day is dumb.
    He shot it on Sunday. He found it 6 DAYS later after a 5 minute search. Him having to work the next day is not the problem.
    Gun control means using both hands!<br />They can have my gun when they pry it from my cold dead hand.

Reading comprehension is clearly not one of your strengths. Nowhere did I say he shouldn't have gone hunting. My point was,that I would sacrifice something (probably sleep) to go look for it.