Thread: Steep shot.

Default Steep shot.

I got in the tree at about 300 today, and grunted a small 8 point in at 355. He was 4 step from my tree and I was about 25 to 30' up. I stuck his port side lung, and the arrow stayed in. I followed heavy blood for 150 yards, and he hit the damn old rice field and blood was gone! We put the dog on the trail, and he kept stopping on the edge of the water so who knows. There is so many things I would change about what happened today, but I can't so hopefully I can get out there tomorrow and find this deer.
    867-5309

Hope you find him.
    Private Land Rubberhead # 1

Bad part about those real close shots is only hitting one lung. They can go a LONG ways and have seen a deer survive a one lung shot. Any idea why at 4 yards it didn't pass thru ? Low exit holes help a lot.
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Bad part about those real close shots is only hitting one lung. They can go a LONG ways and have seen a deer survive a one lung shot. Any idea why at 4 yards it didn't pass thru ? Low exit holes help a lot.
    I was shooting a mechanical broad head, and it might have malfunctioned upon entry. I was literally an inch off the spine straight down. If I could take back my shot I would have let him at least stepped out further.
    867-5309

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

I agree with Duckman#1 on those one-lung hits. They are tough when they still have one good lung. That straight down shot is pretty amazing when you hit heart or arteries and it works, but it can be a disaster if you only get one lung or the exit hole gets plugged. As they say..."Double-lunger means no hunger"

If you are going back in there in the morning take a shotgun and try to go easy, it wouldn't be abnormal for him to be bedded up and still alive.
    Last edited by MC; 11-01-2014 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I got in the tree at about 300 today, and grunted a small 8 point in at 355. He was 4 step from my tree and I was about 25 to 30' up. I stuck his port side lung, and the arrow stayed in. I followed heavy blood for 150 yards, and he hit the damn old rice field and blood was gone! We put the dog on the trail, and he kept stopping on the edge of the water so who knows. There is so many things I would change about what happened today, but I can't so hopefully I can get out there tomorrow and find this deer.

0300 or 3:00 pm? It makes a difference as far as ethically taking a deer.

Just giving you shit, I lost one the other day. I can't stand it and I am sure you can't either.

Good luck.

G

Shot one straight down several years ago, thinking I'd take the spine out.
    Missed by a fraction of an inch and only got one lung. Phenomenal blood for 150 yards, and them it dried up before quick. Never found the deer, and swore I'd never take a straight down shot again. Like was mentioned earlier, unless you get spine, heart, or a major artery, chances of finding them are slim. I hope you have better luck than I did.

I lost a couple like that when I started bowhunting. Now, when they are really close, I try to break the shoulder like I'm shooting a rifle. It works
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I'm gonna head out there in a few and try to find him again. This time I'm takin my waders because I have a feeling he is in the water where the dog kept stopping. I've heard and read stories of these one lungers running miles, and even surviving. Next time if I have a chance I will definitely let him further out, or wait for him to quarter away a bit.
    867-5309

I would tKe a gun to finish off, but I'm in goose creek city limits and have already been warned 2 years ago for gunning down two sookies with my shotgun!
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    I would tKe a gun to finish off, but I'm in goose creek city limits and have already been warned 2 years ago for gunning down two sookies with my shotgun!
    Should have called me man! I have a few we could use inside city limits
    Seeing these soulless vanilla ice lookin Yankees on a bassboat is worse than watching a woman get her implants taken out. It's just wrong. Get back in your Lund and go back to infisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffin View Post
    Should have called me man! I have a few we could use inside city limits
    Damn!!!! And I just talked to you before I went in. I know what I'll do next time if I need it.
    867-5309